Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Daughter's engagement party for my daughter

Hi,
My daughter just got engaged. I'm having a dinner party for her in two weeks. What kind of decorations and food items that you would serve.any suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: Daughter's engagement party for my daughter

• Options
    There's no food that particularly reads "engagement." Just throw a nice dinner party.
  • Options
    Any type of food or decorations are fine. Maybe ask your daughter her thoughts. But it doesn't have to match her wedding or anything.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    I think just a nice dinner party would be great.  Maybe a "congrats" cake?  
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    As previous posters have said, it can be anything you want!  It could be a big casual BBQ for family and friends with a small cake that says "Congratulations!"  or it could be a nice dinner party with steak and red wine.  Really, whatever you want!

The one thing I'd caution you is that it is rather bad form to invite people to a pre-wedding party who will not be invited to the wedding.  So I would only invite people who are absolutely certainly going to be invited to the wedding - if your daughter knows about her engagement party (i.e. not a surprise party), then I'd ask her to let you know if she's created a "must haves" guest list and only invite from those people.  This will help prevent any hurt feelings if you invite your neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Jones, to the engagement party but then they don't get an invite to the wedding.

Anniversary

• Options
    <div>I think this is the best advice by far. I just recently got engaged a week ago, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by my fiance's family. They're throwing an engagement party as well.. I would feel weird having "random" people invited to the party.  In my situation, I think she's inviting friends and miscellaneous people so we might have to have a talk. Haha.</div><div>
    </div><div>As for the party, I would just throw a nice dinner with good tunes, and good company.  Remember, it's an engagement party, not the wedding.  Just a chance for the invitees to get to know each other, and get acquainted and celebrate!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_daughters-engagement-party-daughter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:17b13999-96f6-4518-ab3d-27a49ab3525dPost:2f99d75a-8cc0-4251-9534-335c0cac34d4">Re: Daughter's engagement party for my daughter</a>:
    [QUOTE]The one thing I'd caution you is that it is rather bad form to invite people to a pre-wedding party who will not be invited to the wedding.  So I would only invite people who are absolutely certainly going to be invited to the wedding - if your daughter knows about her engagement party (i.e. not a surprise party), then I'd ask her to let you know if she's created a "must haves" guest list and only invite from those people.  This will help prevent any hurt feelings if you invite your neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Jones, to the engagement party but then they don't get an invite to the wedding.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    My family threw me an engagement party. They got decorations from party city that said "happy engagement" and put up streamers. Just little stuff, but it was nice. We had a cake too and my mom gave a speech welcoming the in-laws to the family etc.

Def like other people said...doesn't have to be anything extravegant..just a low key get together for the families and maybe close friends to meet is perfect!
    Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards