Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Times on invitations?

How did everyone figure out what times to put on their invitations and reception cards??? Our reception is starting at 7 and there is a cocktail hour and dinner at 8.  The reception is about a half hour from the church. The ceremony will last about an hour or less and we are doing pictures after. We want to do as many picture beforehand but we do not want to see each other before the ceremony.  I am thinking of having the ceremony start around 5, be over by 6 and have the bridal party get to the reception hall no later than 730.  How did everyone figure out their timing?  Is an hour enough time to get church pictures after the ceremony? Invitations are one of the only things I still need to get and I dont want to order them and have the times wrong.

Re: Times on invitations?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is really something you need to figure out for yourself, though asking your photographer how much time they need is a great start.

We did ALL of our photos before the ceremony and I couldn't have been happier - it meant that we had extra time to enjoy mingling with our guests during the cocktail hour.  Plus, we were able to have a few quiet moments together as a married couple immediately after the ceremony without feeling like we had to rush to get pictures done. 

I have a discussion of seeing your SO before the ceremony in my married bio, but if you're dead-set against it, I'd suggest the following timeline:

Ceremony: 5:00 p.m.
    Cockatil hour: 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. (to accommodate those guests who go straight from the ceremony to the reception site so they're not left sitting in their cars for 30 minutes)
    Dinner: 8:00 - whenever

• Options
    kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed- we did our photos before as well with a few photos between the ceremony and cocktail hour. We were able to join our guests for cocktail hour which was nice. You should also realize that things dont run on time the wedding day. I think our ceremony was the ONLY thing that ran on time. We were not usually the ones late, but things take WAY longer than you prepare for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards