Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Name Change blahhhh

I am pretty sure I need the original marriage license back from the county with the seal  to take with me to change my name.  I haven't gotten it back yet... How long does this usually take?  Am I missing something here?

Re: Name Change blahhhh

• edited December 2011
    Yes, you 100% need this.
    I didn't realize that the courthouse I got mine from didn't set it up to automatically send it to me... so when I didn't get it I called the main county courthouse and they said they had it up there and could either ship it or I could come pick it up in person.  I went in person.  You may want to check that it's not sitting waiting for you at the courthouse if you didn't pay to have it shipped back.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I contacted our church to find out where the heck they mailed it!
  • edited December 2011
    We had to send for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm I actually just realized I got some paperwork back from the court in the mail this week, but it didn't look like an original marriage license with a seal like I expected it to look like.  I am so friggin confused.
  • edited December 2011
    Hijack. 

How long after the wedding can you pick up the official license from the courthouse?  I'm just thinking ahead to my tight time line.  
  • edited December 2011
    Okay I'm confused too..my officiant handed me a marriage certificate with 6 certified copies on the day of the wedding. It says 'original' on it but there is no seal. Do I not actually have the marriage certificate that I need?? I may sound stupid but I have no idea, haha. In any case, I've already changed my name with SS and the DMV and they were fine with what I have.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mine has an actual seal on it.. They stamped it at the court house right in front of me.  I do take photo copies of it for most things that still involve name changing and thats fine - however the DMV and SS office told me they wanted the original when I went.
  • edited December 2011

Our actual marriage license had 3 parts to it. The officiant filled them out and took the top 2 parts so he could file them with the courthouse. He had 10 days to file it. The bottom part was given back to us for our record (some officiants file it with the church). We had to send and application requesting how many certified copies we wanted (with a check for $10 per copy) to the courthouse (they gave us the application with our marraige license).  We did this around 2 weeks after the wedding and received the certified copies (which look like photo copies w/ a seal) 2 days later.

NCV - I think the time frame will depend on how fast your officiant is with filing the paperwork.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • edited December 2011
    Well that seems like an issue.  Looks like I will be changing my passport and SS# here and not worrying about my DL.  Not like I use it anyway.  I'll just change it the next time I'm in the country.  

How about banks and teaching cert do you have to do that in person or can you do that via mail?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure. My bank told me I need to bring a certified copy and my DL with my new name in to change my information with them. I have no idea about teaching certs. I am just going today to change it with the SS office, so I haven't really dealt with changing anything yet.
  • edited December 2011
    Most of my banks let me do it by mail instead of in person.. and you don't have to mail them the orig certified copy, a photocopy is fine.
  • edited December 2011
    see my bank told me that it HAD to have the raised seal on it or they would not be able to accept it. I guess it depends on your bank.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't even have to show my bank the marriage license. They just used my new drivers license and changed it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cll915cll915 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NCV if you ask your officiant to give you the marriage certificate after the ceremony, that will suffice for SS and DMV. I just walked into my bank with my marriage license and the changed it. ING accepted  a fax of the SS receipt and marriage cert.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I got married in NJ so it may be completely different, but I got a carbon copy of the marriage license filled out by the officient and signed by witnesses.  I was told that it would be good for chaning documents.  However, we went on our honeymoon shortly after the wedding, so I went to pick up my sealed marriage certificate after we got back.  I've only used the sealed certificate to change things, so I don't know if the copy is enough documentation or not.
  • edited December 2011
    SUPER CONFUSED!

I went to norristown court house (montgomery county) back in august, applied for the license. I had 3 parts which i gave to officiant. On day of wedding, she filled out the 'original" certificate and gave it to us then mailed the part that needed to be sent back within 10 days. 

What is all this about a seal?  I am in california and had a hard time at the bank with the original because it does look like a document someone could just make on their computer. I am going to be sending in paper work to get a name change for my PA license...but now i'm concerned i dont have the correct document. Like is there another official one i should have with a seal??
    help me, thanks ;)
    Braxton & Lizzie 10.9.10 Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

Brizzie -- maybe we are good, because I have the same as you and went to the Norristown Court House too. I had the 3 parts and gave it all to my officiant when we met with him a few weeks before the wedding. The day of the wedding he gave me the 'original' part and a few copies of the entire thing with all 3 parts. I have no seal...I have no witness signatures...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have an embossed type seal - you can actually feel it so you know it's legit, and thats the one that the DMV requested of me.  Hmmm... it's a mystery!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, i am not going to even comment about DE, because it is TOTALLY different from everything you all just said, and I don't want to confuse you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards