Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Mexico Advice

Going to Puerto Vallarta for our HM.  Never been to Mexico before or any non-English speaking country for that matter.  What do I need to know?  What do I need to bring?  How about in terms of currency?  Do they take US dollars, credit cards, etc?  We're staying at an all-inclusive, so I don't plan on spending too much outside the resort except for excusurions and adventures.  About how much $ should I bring for 1 week?  Is there anything I should bring from home because it'd be too inconvenient or costly in Mexico? 

Re: Mexico Advice

• Options
    If you're staying in an AI resort, I would bring everything you need.  If you don't have something, you could buy at the gift shop, but most likely it will be marked up (bring your own sunscreen, razors, shaving cream, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.  The hotel will have soap, shampoo and prob conditioner).

Most all excursions, if you book through your hotel or online, will accept credit card.

For our 8 day HM we brought $100 cash - 2-$20's, 6-$5's and 30-$1's for tipping throughout the week. Otherwise, we didnt' spend any cash
  • Options
    In tourist areas, almost everyone speaks English.  In the hotels, I guarantee you they all speak English.  Most places also accept American dollars, but they will give you change in Pesos, so keep a calculator (ie, your phone) handy and know the exchange rate to make sure you get the correct change.  Almost all credit cards will charge an international fee of 3% per transaction, so keep that in mind.  As far as stuff to bring, I don't think there's anything you'd need that would be difficult to find in Mexico, a little more expensive through the resort, but easy enough to get.

H and I didn't stay at an AI, so we brought more cash than you'll probably need, but even then, I don't think we spent it all.  We brought about $300 in cash, but we still ended up buying stuff at the resort a lot and just charging it to our room (which was actually cheaper since the resort had a lower exchange rate, but the credit card company processed it at the actual rate, which saved us almost $150).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    When we went to Cancun last month, dh and I each brought $200.  Neither of us spent it all.  We did exchange some money at the hotel for pesos because we went off our resort.  We took the bus, went to Aqua World and the Isle de Mujeres.  We did exchange larger bills for ones since a lot of people were tipping (in dollars).  We've been to a few AI's before and have never seen tipping at any of them.  So, this was a new experience in Mexico.  We always like to have extra cash for when we're at the airport to buy food, and getting to the airport (cab).  AT the resort you'll just charge things to your room if you want and then pay with a credit card before you leave.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I hear the price on sunscreen is more than double what you would pay in the U.S and to always bring more than you think you'll need (I'm bringing 3 bottles for 6 days just to be safe lol). You don't need to learn any spanish at all, though they usually appreciate when you make the effort to learn some basic phrases (hello, thank you, etc.). I noticed a PP mentioned shampoo's and such. I have heard that a lot of the hotels do not provide conditioner so bring your own if you use it. Bring some tums & asprin of sorts. Might want to bring a beach bag for books, room key, etc. I read a good suggestion somewhere to bring hand sanitizer and/or hand wipes for when you eat greasy food around the pool... i thought it was a good tip & something I would never think of. Aloe Vera lotion and keep it in your fridge for if you sunburn. Bring 2 pen's in your carry on so that you and FI can fill out you forms on the plane and get through customs quicker. Call your bank before you leave to let them know you will be in Mexico incase you end up using your debit card.

Sorry for the long response, it's my first time going out of the country and I've been writing down little tips here and there and though I would share :)
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
    80 Can't find the mailbox imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards