Snarky Brides

Help! My fruit keeps spoiling!

I went to the store on Saturday. By Monday my strawberries were fuzzy and by Thursday the bananas and nectarines had gone bad. I don't remember fruit going bad this quickly when I lived in WA. How can I keep the fruit from spoiling so fast? Am I just picking overripe fruit to begin with? Are there certain ways you're supposed to store them?

Re: Help! My fruit keeps spoiling!

• Strawberries always have mold spores when you get them.  Dunk them in water with a little white vinegar in it when you get them to rinse, then drain and store.  Don't top them until you're ready to eat them.  

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I find nectarines ripen/gobad very quickly in room temperature, I let mine get to my desired level of softness and then keep them in the fridge.
  • Thanks, I guess I never thought about fruit storage much growing up. ;)

Our house gets quite hot during the day. Would I be better off keeping all my fruit in the fridge rather than a basket on the counter?
  • NebbNebb member
    I dont thin youre supposed to put bananas in the fridge, at all. Its too cold for them. Im also pretty sure youre not supposed to store apples in the fridge either, though you didnt ask about those.
  • bananas will keep better in the fridge, but the skins will darken faster.  So they'll look bad but still taste good.
    Anniversary
  • I'm so glad you posted this!  I've been having trouble with my strawberries and bananas too.   I like them for smoothies but they go bad too quickly, even if I buy green bananas.  Our apt has window units and the cold air doesn't really hit the dining room or kitchen that well.  I'd also heard that you shouldn't store bananas in the fridge. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_my-fruit-keeps-spoiling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bbf37cd-b388-4aeb-82d4-626714887be8Post:fbb1b6a5-f463-42aa-a0dd-3f9d153adced">Re:Help! My fruit keeps spoiling!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Help! My fruit keeps spoiling!: If you just want them for smoothies, why not freeze them when you get them home? You could Prep them in he quantities you need for a smoothie, and freeze in individual bags.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]

Well this just made me feel dumb.   That's a great idea.  Thank you!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_my-fruit-keeps-spoiling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bbf37cd-b388-4aeb-82d4-626714887be8Post:68e2deba-4bcc-40d9-be7e-362ffe2dd6e5">Re: Help! My fruit keeps spoiling!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont thin youre supposed to put bananas in the fridge, at all. Its too cold for them. Im also pretty sure youre not supposed to store apples in the fridge either, though you didnt ask about those.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I always keep apples in the fridge.  Eating warm apples grosses me out, but I love them cold.</div><div>
    </div><div>Bananas on the other hand, they brown in the fridge, and I can't stand that!

</div>
  • Put everything but the bananas in the fridge.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_my-fruit-keeps-spoiling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bbf37cd-b388-4aeb-82d4-626714887be8Post:79c44d8b-2edf-4924-9a1c-0dfc8849e057">Re: Help! My fruit keeps spoiling!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Put everything but the bananas in the fridge.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Short and to the point. I love it! Thanks.

And thanks everyone for teaching me more about keeping fruit good!
  • NebbNebb member
    Apples can keep for an entire winter out of the fridge if you store them correctly. I disagree with refridgerating them. Its like potatoes and onions, cool dark place. We don't put our potatoes or onions in the fridge either.
  • I think fruit spoils more quickly when it's too warm.  You're in Phoenix, right? So it's already pretty warm for them to get transported to the store, then you have to get it home.  The outdoor fruit and veggie stands here have trouble when it's hot out, with stuff spoiling quickly.  I'd put everything but the bananas (and tomatoes) in the fridge for now. Maybe buy small quantities of bananas more often, or greener bananas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards