DC

Tidal Basin Ceremony?

Hi All--

I am a newbie and currently very OVERWHELMED with planning...My fiance and I really would like to have our special day in DC (not MD or VA) but we have a very strict budget of 10k. I really like the idea of a ceremony at the TJ, but have not been successful in finding any info on logistics, apart from the permit-getting part.

Has any had any experience with a ceremony at the Thomas Jefferson memorial/Tidal Basin?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Tidal Basin Ceremony?

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it is possible to have your ceremony there.  However, you do need to think about the practicalities.  For example, parking in that area is nearly impossible.  If you are having both ceremony and reception there, the lack of cooking or refrigeration equipment could be an issue.  If you are planning to have only your ceremony there, not your reception, then guests are going to have to find parking there for an hour or so, then move their cars either to another downtown DC location (also probably with difficult parking) or to a suburban location that will take some time to get to in DC traffic.
  • mickeypottermickeypotter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And you'll need to fill out forms/get permission from Park Police to have photos
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, couple of pointers.

1. If you are getting married on any Park Services monument you need a permit to hold an "event" there. This is $50.

2. If you want to have professional photos taken you need a $350 permit from Park Services.

I am also having a small wedding at the TJ. For transportation issues I am hiring a Limo Bus to take us all down there (I am only inviting 23, including the photographers). After the short ceremony we rented a room at the Old Ebbitt to have a nice dinner with our family.

I was lucky enough to find out about the second permit fee from my fantastic photographer. She told me the Park Services Officers will stand in every shot if you don't show a permit! She said they are like flies on horse sh!t if they see a wedding dress or professional photographer equipment. The permit is good for the entire day and at all monuments. Good Luck planning. My budget is the same and I am having no problems staying under budget (I am sure my restricted guest list helps!)

Good Luck!
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Besides the photo permit, you may want to check with the Park Police that it is, in fact, permissable to have a wedding ceremony at the Tidal Basin (be specific about the location).  Years ago, a friend of mine wanted to do this and was told she could not.  Things change, of course, but I highly recommend you contact (by phone or in person) the Park Police before you move forward with planning.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I have already talked to Park Services. I am having an extremely small wedding (24 people including the photographers and officiant) so there is no problem with having the wedding there. I will not have any set up, just keeping it simple. Wedding was listed on the event permit. I know that there have been demonstrations, other events and weddings with set up and wedding is listed as one of the reasons for this permit.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_tidal-basin-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:cc556ff4-89a7-4c74-a630-a1294ae4f282Post:7a4647aa-89b3-4502-b87e-8acfecc6a1fa">Re: Tidal Basin Ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have already talked to Park Services. I am having an extremely small wedding (24 people including the photographers and officiant) so there is no problem with having the wedding there. I will not have any set up, just keeping it simple. Wedding was listed on the event permit. I know that there have been demonstrations, other events and weddings with set up and wedding is listed as one of the reasons for this permit.
    Posted by katjofred[/QUOTE]

Wow!  That's great -- I'm glad you can have your wedding there.  Change is good, huh??  With such a small number attending, I don't think you'll have any problems with parking.  Good luck with everything.  It is a <u>beautiful</u> setting.  Enjoy!
  • Hey! I realize this is over two years later, but I want to get married here too, and I'm having a bit of difficulty getting ahold of ANYONE. What number did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_tidal-basin-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:57Discussion:cc556ff4-89a7-4c74-a630-a1294ae4f282Post:fa00d5b7-aa0e-42e1-be86-51e8b9edf403">Tidal Basin Ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi All-- I am a newbie and currently very OVERWHELMED with planning...My fiance and I really would like to have our special day in DC (not MD or VA) but we have a very strict budget of 10k. I really like the idea of a ceremony at the TJ, but have not been successful in finding any info on logistics, apart from the permit-getting part. Has any had any experience with a ceremony at the Thomas Jefferson memorial/Tidal Basin? Thanks in advance!
    Posted by StellaBlue27[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards