Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Flats? Wedges? What should I wear to my outdoor wedding?

Hello everyone,

I could really use some help finding shoes to wear to my outdoor summer wedding.

While I love pumps and heels of any nature, really dont want to buy shoes that will poke into the grass and get super dirty. I have looked online for flats and wedges but nothing seems just right. I would like to find a shoe with a thicker heel, but unfortunately many of those are not so attractive. 

SO! If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I'm looking for shoes that are
  • wearable on grass
  • open toed
  • will match a long, lacy, ivory dress
Thanks everyone!

Alli

Re: Flats? Wedges? What should I wear to my outdoor wedding?

• Options
    These sites offer a lot of shoes...and you can shop by style! If you love heals as much as I do....I would opt for the wedge...still can have the height from the heel....but will be functional. Happy shopping!

http://www.bellissimabridalshoes.com/category/007795.shtml
    http://www.moonstoneweddings.com/bridalwedges.php?c=010087
    http://www.qualitybridalshoes.com/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am getting married on grass and am still wearing regular heels.  I just will not be pressing down very hard on the heels and keeping more of my weight on the balls of my feet.  I say if you love regular heels just wearing those and practice walking on the grass.  Unless the grass is super soft you should be fine, plenty of women walk on grass in heels everyday.

BUT, in your survey I voted wedges.  If you really are not comfortable wearing heels, but you like to wear them in every day use I would say go for wedges.  I personally wear heels everywhere and would not feel comfortable in flats, they make me feel short (even though I am 5"7') and not as graceful when I walk.  That way you get the height and the look of being in heels without any chance of sinking into the grass.
  • Options
    I also had this concern about my outdoor wedding.  I finally decided to buy the heels I wanted and will order something like this in case I feel like it's necessary on the day of.  I just couldnt' find any wedges I really liked and I didn't want to wear flats.  These heel stopper things might be kinda corny, so like I said, they're my "in case of emergency" plan.  I bought a pair of wedges to change into after the ceremony and photos, too.

• Options

I love shoes of any sort, but if it was my outdoor wedding (my dream, which I didn't get), I would go barefoot throughout the ceremony if the grass was soft, if its harder wear those heels!!!  For the reception, if you don't care about getting your dress dirty after everything and you do go with the heels, go with a really cute sandal or flip flop. 

Happy shoe shopping, I can't wait!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i held my reception outdoors and chose to change into a pair of low wedges for the reception only (i wore heels to the church). try rampage, they are good for wedges that will STAY ON and are a little different. oh, zappos is always a great bet too.
    congratulations!
  • Options
    We have the same issue. The ceremony is on a golf course so the ground is especially soft. I have to disagree with pp about walking differently. It's your wedding ceremony and ALL eyes will be on you. People will notice if you're walking funny and you want them to focus on how beautiful you look, not that you are shifting your weight awkwardly. I originally bouht stillettos like a doof, so right now the plan is to wear the same green wedges that match the bridesmaids and then change into my awesome heels for the reception. (I can't dance in anything but heels!) As far as flats go, I am a strong believer that it doesn't kill a bride to dress up and wear a pair of heels (although this opinion could be because I'm a shorty...).

Sarah, thanks so much for the links! I have never seen anything like that before and I just may do this!
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am having an outdoor wedding too and I am looking for flats.  My FI is only about 2 inches taller than me, so I really don't want heels.  But I've worn heels to a friends outdoor wedding, and yes, my heels sank into the ground everytime I took a step. 
  • Options
    kellbell1919kellbell1919 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    I'm in the same situation.  I like these:

and these:

If I get the second I would probably have them dyed to match the BM dresses since I wanted to get a funky color shoe anyway and am having a heck of a time finding something that will work.
    image "...Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet..."
  • Options
    I'm wearing heels for my outdoor wedding. I am buying a product called Heel Stoppers and it's designed to allow you to wear heels on grass.

http://prettypinktoes.co.uk/cleanheels.aspx

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    landisalandisa member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    Thank you all so much for you input, stories, and link. I will probably buy a wedge (i like the Coleen by Dyeables) but I am going to wait a little while because it looks like thicker heels may be in style this spring.

For those still searching, I found these links most helpful:

and if your shoe budget is big 

Thanks again for all the responses! I thought no one would reply! Thanks for all your support!

Cheers,

Alli
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards