Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Name Change

I have a question...
We married a little over a week ago, and I already got our official marriage license. We're leaving for our HM in just over 3 weeks, in Costa Rica. I booked my ticket in my maiden name, since thats what my passport name is and I wasn't sure if I'd have enough time to get a new passport. So do I wait to change my social security card and drivers license until after we get back or will it matter?
Please advise

Re: Name Change

• I changed my DL and SS card before my HM but there was medical reason for that. If not for my special circumstance I would have waited just in case there was a problem.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your photo ID needs to match your passport so wait until you come back to do the DL and SS card. It feels weird since you are married now but the airport is so crazy you don't want to give them any reason to detain you. Have a great trip.
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:872c0995-4c6e-4966-8440-a0468bc9a851Post:44633831-b943-4ce0-ad62-13aa55b554aa">Re: Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your photo ID needs to match your passport so wait until you come back to do the DL and SS card. It feels weird since you are married now but the airport is so crazy you don't want to give them any reason to detain you. Have a great trip.
    Posted by 20pearls16[/QUOTE]

Actually your passport is the only ID you need in an airport.  And as long as it matches the ticket you're fine. Your DL could say Mickey Mouse but it doesn't matter because no one at the airport will ask for it as long as your have your passport.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:872c0995-4c6e-4966-8440-a0468bc9a851Post:dd2f3219-e898-4c0f-bfa0-60fac7a56483">Re: Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name Change : Actually your passport is the only ID you need in an airport.  And as long as it matches the ticket you're fine. Your DL could say Mickey Mouse but it doesn't matter because no one at the airport will ask for it as long as your have your passport.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Depends on the airport. I just traveled an I was randomly selected. I had to show another form of ID.</div>
    imageAnniversary
  • This is why you are supposed to bring a copy of your ML with you just in case of such things.

• If it were me, I wouldn't change ANYTHING until I got back.
    Heck, it took me 3 months to get my name changed legally and I didn't even have a good reason, just a bit of procrastination.
  • I agree with 20pearls. JIC, I wouldn't change anything until I got back if I were you. Just have everything match so there is no reason to question anything.

I am the type that brings back-up ID for everything. When I went to get a new driver's license with my new name on it, I brought a million copies of my marriage license, a utility bill, my passport, and my Certified Pharm Tech card. I think it's better to be prepared because the one thing you don't bring will be the one thing they ask for.

Just don't bring originals when possible and have copies of everything safe at home!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah, don't mess with anything until you get back.  I spent my whole honeymoon with my maiden name even though we weren't international traveling.  It's just easier to wait till you get back.

Shoot, I had other things I had to focus on than paperwork! 
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards