Massachusetts-Boston

Longwood State Room approx. cost and similar venues

Hi all,

Can anyone give me an idea of approx cost for the State Room in Boston? I'm familiar with Longwood's pricing model with the 'event minimum' and was recently quoted a price for Alden Castle in Brookline at $25,000.

I assume State Room is pricier because it's right in Boston. Are there any venues similar to State Room that you're aware of, particular any that have such great views of Boston?

Thanks!

Re: Longwood State Room approx. cost and similar venues

• edited April 2012
    State Room is around $50K. I'm not sure what the minimums are but Hotel Marlowe is in Cambridge so they have an amazing view of Boston.
  • We are doing a Friday in August at the Hotel Marlowe and they reduced the food and beverage minimum to $16K.  I think it would have been $22K for a Saturday night but I'm not positive. 
  • I'd agree that the State Room would could easily run over $50k, especially if your guest list is over 100.

Other options:
    - The Taj rooftop has an amazing view and could be a ton of fun for a summer wedding, plus the hotel has well-priced inclusive deals (and even includes a honeymoon!) - but it only holds ~100 guests.
    - Downtown Harvard Club has great views and food, too, and can hold up to 300.
  • The State Room has two different rooms that are appropriate for weddings.  We are using the smaller room (holds a max of 150 for seated dinner with a dance floor).  We will have 110 guests and are far under $50K.  The event minimum with room rental included was $24K.

Hope that helps!
  • octnitesoctnites member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Thanks everyone! I've decided to stay away from State Room due to cost. I'm now also looking at:

Hyatt Harborside
    Hyatt Regency Cambridge
    Millenium (though concerned about small space)
    Boston Park Plaza
    Taj Boston
    Royal Sonesta
    Charles Hotel

Anyone have good/bad experiences with any of the above? Main issue is that my budget is a bit low... I'd like to stay under $35K.

*Edit: Guest count is probably around 150, maybe a bit less
  • We are going between the State Room and the Fairmont Copley Plaza...both are very different but both are insanely gorgeous. When is your wedding?? Have you considered a Friday or Sunday wedding? This can take thousands off the price!! We didn't look at any of the places you mentioned, but I've heard the Hyatt Cambridge is gorg and I know the Taj is phenomenal but I've heard its pricey. Millenium I've heard is nice for the money. We looked at the Liberty Hotel and liked it a lot, the girl was really flexible with the price, too. Let us know how you make out!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_longwood-state-room-approx-cost-and-similar-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:7b1c8384-e413-4abe-bde5-ebc3e6fec7adPost:5c4c640a-60be-401d-b70a-74eaa9ffea84">Re: Longwood State Room approx. cost and similar venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going between the State Room and the Fairmont Copley Plaza...both are very different but both are insanely gorgeous. When is your wedding?? Have you considered a Friday or Sunday wedding? This can take thousands off the price!! We didn't look at any of the places you mentioned, but I've heard the Hyatt Cambridge is gorg and I know the Taj is phenomenal but I've heard its pricey. Millenium I've heard is nice for the money. We looked at the Liberty Hotel and liked it a lot, the girl was really flexible with the price, too. Let us know how you make out!
    Posted by jdistefano[/QUOTE]

<div>No set date yet (just got engaged a few weeks ago) but looking at Fall 2013. I just had a look at Liberty and it looks gorgeous! Can you give me an idea of what their price range is?</div>
  • When I looked at Liberty a few years ago, the minimum they quoted was around 25K. The cocktail area looking down on the hotel atrium is so unique.  The ballroom, however, was tiny. I can't imagine having 150 guests in there. When we went to tour it, the ballroom was set up for a wedding of 120 (they said, anyways) and the tables were smooshed together and the dance floor seemed really small. For a small wedding, it would be perfect!
  • The reason I asked about time of year is because we are having our wedding this January and we have honestly saved SO much money in the city. Almost every place has cut their minimum in half and decreased rental or ceremony fees. The Liberty quoted us at a 10k minimum in January, but with our guest count it would come to about 20k. For the time of year you are thinking, 25k sounds about right for the Liberty. Even considering a Sunday wedding instead of Sat could save you a lot of money. I know that off season, off-night weddings aren't something everyone wants to do though!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_longwood-state-room-approx-cost-and-similar-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:7b1c8384-e413-4abe-bde5-ebc3e6fec7adPost:966c777d-748a-491b-b52a-19d6b10f1ae1">Re: Longwood State Room approx. cost and similar venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone! I've decided to stay away from State Room due to cost. I'm now also looking at: Hyatt Harborside Hyatt Regency Cambridge Millenium (though concerned about small space) Boston Park Plaza Taj Boston Royal Sonesta Charles Hotel Anyone have good/bad experiences with any of the above? Main issue is that my budget is a bit low... I'd like to stay under $35K. *Edit: Guest count is probably around 150, maybe a bit less
    Posted by octnites[/QUOTE]

<div>Of the places you mention above, I looked at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Boston Park Plaza, and the Royal Sonesta (as well as numerous others including the Boston Sheraton, Colonnade, State Room, Omni Parker, the Villa, Langham, Hotel Marlowe, Boston Harbor Hotel, Seaport Hotel, Intercontinental, Marriott Long Wharf, Boston Public Library, Marriott Copley, another Copley hotel, and a few more in Boston and on the South Shore I can't even remember off the top of my head).  We did not consider the Taj because we felt it was out of our price range.  The Millennium and Charles were out due to size limitations.  I looked into the Hyatt Harborside, but ultimately decided against seriously considering it due to its location near the airport (and the fact it was not significantly cheaper than other places in downtown, so the location sacrifice didn't seem worth it).</div><div>
    </div><div>Size was our problem with the Hyatt Regency Cambridge.  I absolutely loved the rooftop ballroom with glass windows overlooking the Charles with a view of the Boston Skyline, but there is no way that ballroom could accommodate our guest list, though it should be perfect for yours.  Given that we couldn't use the awesome ballroom, the downstairs ballroom was pretty cookie cutter, though still nice, in my opinion.  Plus the day we dropped by to look at there were numerous events going on and the lobby/elevators were packed and crazy.  I didn't mind, but my FI really didn't like the event factory feel of it.  Overall if it is in your budget and you are comfortable with multiple events going on, I think it could be a great option.</div><div>
    </div><div>The Boston Park Plaza was nice and could have definitely accommodated our guest list.  I love the historical nature of the hotel and thought it would be a fun place for my guests.  The guest rooms were a bit small though.  We didn't end up booking there for a few reasons.  First, the guy that showed us around (can't think of his name right now) didn't seem very enthusiastic.  While he was rude or standoffish, he just didn't sell it very well.  Second, the main ballroom has a very old, traditional feel to it.  While I liked that a lot, it didn't really fit with the more modern event that we were envisioning.  Plus the ballroom just kind of looked worn out and run-down to me.  I think they are planning a renovation, so that might change, but when I looked it was just tired looking.</div><div>
    </div><div>We ended up booking the Royal Sonesta (RS) in Cambridge and so far we are very pleased.  Part of the reason we booked the RS was due to our guest list of ~230.  Many of the venues couldn't accommodate that number or if they claimed they could it would be very tight, but the main ballroom at the Sonesta can more than handle our guest list and I don't have to worry if we estimated incorrectly (we are tentatively inviting 270+).  Overall the RS was just a great compromise for us.  It was nice, clean, and had a modern feel to it.  The people we have worked with so far have been great.  The ballroom was not cookie cutter and has great views of the Boston Skyline and the Charles River via floor-to-ceiling windows.  The space we are going to use for the cocktail hour also has those views.  I liked that everything would be in one place which would make things easier for the guests.  We ate lunch in one of their restaurants and the food was phenomenal.  Plus they were very willing to negotiate and handle some very specific requests we had (my Dad didn't the negotiating so I can't comment too much on the price flexibility).  Alcohol is very important to both me and my FI (I worked as a bartender and he just likes to imbibe high quality stuff).  The RS worked with us to created a flexible open bar set-up with a variety of top-shelf stuff at a reasonable cost. </div><div>
    </div><div>With the exception of the Taj, I think all the places you mention are within your budget if you pick and choose options wisely.  Make sure when you consider their packages, you are comparing apples to apples (i.e. same number of appetizers, same bar options, 3 course vs. 4 course meal, dessert bar, etc.)  If you have any questions on the RS or any of the other venues I looked at, let me know.  Good luck!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_longwood-state-room-approx-cost-and-similar-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:7b1c8384-e413-4abe-bde5-ebc3e6fec7adPost:d305b79d-3798-4165-99d1-3a227e88916a">Re: Longwood State Room approx. cost and similar venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]The State Room has two different rooms that are appropriate for weddings.  We are using the smaller room (holds a max of 150 for seated dinner with a dance floor).  We will have 110 guests and are far under $50K.  The event minimum with room rental included was $24K. Hope that helps!
    Posted by monbon11[/QUOTE]

24K sounds like a reasonable price for such an elegant place; I am currently engage and this is my favorite venue but I am very concerned about the price.  What month are you getting married?  I wonder if an off-season wedding will make a difference in the price. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards