Maine

The Chondola

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick question...my fiance and I are thinking about having our wedding at Sunday River.  It is GORGEOUS up there and the staff (so far) has been excellent.  We are currently debating the Chondola/North Peak.  We don't love the ballroom at the Grand Summit (in fact, we don't love anything about the Grand Summit; it seems a bit run down) and our party is too large for the Jordan.  We are thinking about having our friends and family stay at the Jordan and then shuttle back and forth to the chondola for the wedding.
Has anyone been on the Chondola or seen the restaurant at North Peak?  Any tips on problems that using the Chondola might cause?  Any info/advice/feedback would be awesome.

Thanks!

Re: The Chondola

• This is what we are doing! We'll have the ceremony and reception at the Peak and shuttle to the Jordan.

The Peak is not as formal/fancy as the ballroom because it's technically a ski lodge, not a restaurant. However, they do these moonlight dinners up there one Saturday a month in the summer and if you're interested, you should definitely check it out. It will really give you an idea of the place all dressed up.

The only problem I can think of is if you have any elderly guests that might have trouble getting on and off the chondola, although they can slow it way down.

Sorry, I just realized this sounds a little know-it-all. But I'm from Bethel!
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_the-chondola?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:114022fe-1dd2-4c2b-9dcd-9c9487c85306Post:7b93fbf2-31f0-405e-abe7-e004edb88182">Re: The Chondola</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is what we are doing! We'll have the ceremony and reception at the Peak and shuttle to the Jordan. The Peak is not as formal/fancy as the ballroom because it's technically a ski lodge, not a restaurant. However, they do these moonlight dinners up there one Saturday a month in the summer and if you're interested, you should definitely check it out. It will really give you an idea of the place all dressed up. The only problem I can think of is if you have any elderly guests that might have trouble getting on and off the chondola, although they can slow it way down. Sorry, I just realized this sounds a little know-it-all. But I'm from Bethel!
    Posted by erin77marie[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply!!!

I definitely want to check out the dinner, and am hoping to go in early July.  Have you been to one before?  Glad to hear that you are shuttling people from Jordan...that is our plan as well but I haven't gotten the ok yet.  Are you worried at all about the heat at The Peak?  I heard they don't have air conditioning.  Also, I know this is a stretch, BUT (seeing you know a ton about the lodge) do you have any pictures of it?  The Sunday River staff were only able to send one or two and I can't find any online.  

Glad to hear from someone else who is planning a Chondola wedding! 

• I went to one of the dinners last summer-- the staff suggested it so we could see it when it doesn't look like a ski lodge, and it really was nice. It's not air-conditioned, but the dinner we went to was in August, and it wasn't too hot at all. I think there's pretty much always a breeze up there.

I don't have any pictures of it, no. Sorry! There's a YouTube video, though, that someone posted and it's a 360 view from the lodge (it's in the winter, though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t919ZNRP-2U
  • Thanks for sending the link- that deck is awesome!! 

Good luck with all of your wedding planning!  I would love to exchange ideas or keep in touch as I plan.  When in your big day?  We are shooting for July of 2013. 
  • My wedding is next month! So yeah, PM me anytime, and I'll let you know how it goes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards