Canada-Ontario

to do or not to do a wedding video

I'm on the fence...
thoughts, comments?
anyone do it and feel like it wasn't necessary? or not done it and wished they would have?

Re: to do or not to do a wedding video

• edited December 2011
    I'm having a videographer after meeting a couple who regretted not having the speeches at their wedding recorded in the moment. They won me over on the idea when they said pictures capture moments in still motion, but they don't capture the voice and dialogues.
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't think it was necessary, but my family persuaded me to hire a videographer. I am so happy I did. It was nice to have the speeches and the first dance etc. What I hadn't expected, was my ability to see many moments that I was not aware of during the wedding. I saw beautiful interactions between my friends and family. I saw smiles on my guests' faces as they were dancing and mingling. It was totally worth the money. Btw, I got the unedited, cleaned up video to save some cash.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do a professional video, but I kind of wish I had now.  A friend videotaped a bit of the "down the aisle" part of the ceremony and the speeches, and I watched it for the first time only a month ago.  It would have been nice to capture a bit more.  Definitely not a necessity, but a really nice "extra" if you can afford it!
  • achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll do it if we have money left in the budget. Otherwise we'll have a friend videotape the ceremony, entrance to the reception, speeches and our first dance.
    Anniversary
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a videographer and we are glad we did! It is so nice to re-visit that day and see how it went. When you are in the moment, you are not aware of certain things or people. While I would recommend a videographer, it is not something you need to blow your budget on.
  • edited December 2011
    We weren't gonna do one, but while searching for our photographer we viewed many videos from other weddings and decided that we definitely wanted an opportunity to look back and hear our vows, and see things that the photographer might not be able to capture in a still shot. I say go for it! Even if you just have a family member do it for you it will be well worth it
    imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    OMG DO IT!
    The one thing that we've looked back on and has left us with ZERO regret, we LOVE our video, and we really like our videographer, he's really by far one of the best vendors we had!

I'll share our video, because I love it so much, and if you look at our videographers page, you'll see how many amazing videos he's done, best of all, he was SUPER reasonable (like well under 2K)

http://vimeo.com/30655187

I very VERY much recommend a videographer, even more so getting ours, he really was AMAZEBALLS ;)
  • SNTJ2012SNTJ2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a wedding video because we want those moments not capruted in photo to be documented as well. I think it's a great keep sake for any couple and it doen't have to bllow the bank.  I think our videographer offers a package that provides 7 hours of coverage and the raw footage will be provided to you at the end for under $800.  You can go back to him up to a year later and pay a litle bit more for him to provide you with an editted version. If you have a friend who can edit it for you, they might consider doing for you as a gift.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_not-wedding-video?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:a674189f-a202-4492-b741-6c20ca2f6176Post:47adc550-b62e-433e-86d7-cd8c173bcb11">Re: to do or not to do a wedding video</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG DO IT! The one thing that we've looked back on and has left us with ZERO regret, we LOVE our video, and we really like our videographer, he's really by far one of the best vendors we had! I'll share our video, because I love it so much, and if you look at our videographers page, you'll see how many amazing videos he's done, best of all, he was SUPER reasonable (like well under 2K) <a href="http://vimeo.com/30655187" rel='nofollow'>http://vimeo.com/30655187</a> I very VERY much recommend a videographer, even more so getting ours, he really was AMAZEBALLS ;)
    Posted by MS_TAKEN[/QUOTE]

<div>LOVE YOUR VIDEO!!! :)</div>
  • edited December 2011
    We don't have the money for one, so it's not an option at all (we're already strained to our very limit, even after scoring a lot of great deals).  We're going to have family/friends film the ceremony and our first dance/the garter toss (which is a very atypical surprise for our guests).  I don't WANT speeches at our wedding - they're the part that make me bored at any wedding, usually, and I just want to eat and dance.  But I definitely want moments captured.  The Man of Honour owns an awesome camera, so we'll amateur it up.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of doing a video as well. I was a bit on the fence, but after seeing Same-Day edits from Honey&Dear, I was in love. The thing is, I have no idea what pricing is for this kind of thing, and what is a "good deal" and what is overcharging. What did you guys pay, and what did it include?

So far both sets of parents were hesitant to even get a photographer, as they thought the prices were insanely expensive (even though I actually found INCREDIBLY well priced photographers that take beautiful pictures!). Convincing them to make room in the budget for this too will be extremely difficult, as the majority of the money is going towards guests that my fiance's family wants to invite (my ideal of 140 guests is now closer to 200+). Any ideas on things to tell the parents to convince them that (GOOD) photography is important? No matter how much I tell them that people who didn't do it regret it, they say "we don't look at our  wedding pictures/we didn't film our wedding and we're fine."  As my fiance and I are both still students we have limited budget, but if I'm able to save up enough in the next year, I plan to pay for this item!

• Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_not-wedding-video?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:a674189f-a202-4492-b741-6c20ca2f6176Post:2f0e9918-8951-4a6b-91de-a2f627cd1686">Re: to do or not to do a wedding video</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking of doing a video as well. I was a bit on the fence, but after seeing Same-Day edits from Honey&Dear, I was in love. The thing is, I have no idea what pricing is for this kind of thing, and what is a "good deal" and what is overcharging. What did you guys pay, and what did it include? So far both sets of parents were hesitant to even get a photographer, as they thought the prices were insanely expensive (even though I actually found INCREDIBLY well priced photographers that take beautiful pictures!). Convincing them to make room in the budget for this too will be extremely difficult, as the majority of the money is going towards guests that my fiance's family wants to invite (my ideal of 140 guests is now closer to 200+). <strong>Any ideas on things to tell the parents to convince them that (GOOD) photography is important? No matter how much I tell them that people who didn't do it regret it, they say "we don't look at our  wedding pictures/we didn't film our  wedding and we're fine."  As my fiance and I are both still students we have limited budget, but if I'm able to save up enough in the next year, I plan to pay for this item!</strong>
    Posted by stefanisoliman[/QUOTE]

Good luck on that!  It'll be hard to change their minds on it, especially if both sets of parents are set against it.  I would recommend that if you want it, you'll have to save up for it.  The average videography package is around $1500 or so.  The good ones will charge around $2000 or more. 

I would suggest trying to find a photographer who offers videographer services as well.  This may save you some money. 

Also check out weddingful.com - they will offer deals on vendor services such as photography, videography, DJ, etc.  Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_not-wedding-video?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:a674189f-a202-4492-b741-6c20ca2f6176Post:2f0e9918-8951-4a6b-91de-a2f627cd1686">Re: to do or not to do a wedding video</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking of doing a video as well. I was a bit on the fence, but after seeing Same-Day edits from Honey&Dear, I was in love. The thing is, I have no idea what pricing is for this kind of thing, and what is a "good deal" and what is overcharging. What did you guys pay, and what did it include? So far both sets of parents were hesitant to even get a photographer, as they thought the prices were insanely expensive (even though I actually found INCREDIBLY well priced photographers that take beautiful pictures!). Convincing them to make room in the budget for this too will be extremely difficult, as the majority of the money is going towards guests that my fiance's family wants to invite (my ideal of 140 guests is now closer to 200+). Any ideas on things to tell the parents to convince them that (GOOD) photography is important? No matter how much I tell them that people who didn't do it regret it, they say "we don't look at our  wedding pictures/we didn't film our  wedding and we're fine."  As my fiance and I are both still students we have limited budget, but if I'm able to save up enough in the next year, I plan to pay for this item!
    Posted by stefanisoliman[/QUOTE]

I have an AMAZING photographer, and videographer, and I'm pretty sure they would BOTH come in under $2K, for the both of them!

The videographer-
    <a href="http://vimeo.com/davetebbutt/videos/page:1/sort:plays">http://vimeo.com/davetebbutt/videos/page:1/sort:plays</a>

The photographer-
    <a href="https://www.facebook.com/#!/christopherportophotography">https://www.facebook.com/#!/christopherportophotography</a>

Just tell them- Anna sent you- both of their work is amazing, and they were an absolute dream to work with!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards