North Carolina

XP: Beach wedding in Oct???

(This is a XP with SC boards!)

I live in TN, and am pondering a beach wedding with just my FI and me, my parents, possibly my grandparents, and possibly his mom and step father (long story short, he isn't close with them but that's not the point of the post). We are not getting married until October 27 2012, so that leads me to my question: how are the beaches at the end of October? I'm not necessarily concered with the water being warm enough to swim in, but I'd like to be warm enough that we aren't freezing as we're out there on the beach.

I am considering both Myrtle Beach and Emerald Isle. On the respective websites, it states that it's usally in the mid 70s in October. Do you agree with this temp? And do you think that would be a nice temp for a beach wedding?

Also, if you have suggestions for other cheap places in NC to wed on the beach, please let me know! I haven't done my full research yet, mainly because I wanted to see what others thought about this idea. Thanks in advance!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: Beach wedding in Oct???

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    H's family beach house is between Emerald Isle and Myrtle.  When we go down in October I think of it as the "awkward beach time".  It's warm enough to be outside, warm enough to sit and read on the dock.  I usually get sunburned (I sunburn easily at all times of year)  But when we go over to the ocean side it's windy, and the sand is cold and I don't like to stay long.  I don't think of it as beach wedding weather. 

Could you plan a quick trip to the ocean this October just to decide for yourself?
  • edited December 2011
    No, unfortunately I don't think that will be in the budget for this October, nor could I get the extra time off of work- I'm already heading to Texas to be in a friend's wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I guess then that you could just keep up with the weather forecast and watch webcams for EI and MB this year, to help you with the decision.

How do you have a date but not a venue?  This baffles me and I always forget to ask. 
  • YoungDuoYoungDuo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess it's possible to have an October beach wedding but like PP said, it's not really beach wedding weather. Are you dead set on having it in Oct? If not, a late Aug or Sept beach wedding is totally do able. My FSIL just got married 2 weeks ago at Topsail Island (in NC) and my FILs said the weather and everything was beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 204 made the cut image 122 are ready to party image 65 are being lame
    image 17 can't find the mailbox
    RSVP Date: October 20
  • edited December 2011
    We're set on the date, but not the wedding venue:) FI wanted an Oct wedding; Oct is a special month for us, and the 27th is kind of the only date that worked for various reasons.

We do have a local venue picked out, but there are guest list issues, and I thought perhaps a DW would solve those issues.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am also planning a beach wedding next october (2012). i have been to the beach both the crystal coast and myrtle beach in Oct and it is great. I would say i would not recommend sept as others has said since that is prime hurricane weather. For emerld isle location try vision events or crystal coast bride to get ideas on vendors.

i hope i have helped!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • squirrelcubesquirrelcube member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on Kure Beach (near Wilmington, NC) next month.  Since ours is in November, it'll be a little cooler (in the mid-60's for highs), but we visited there last November, and it was pleasant enough that we're not worried about freezing.  Plus, both Kure Beach and Carolina Beach are public beaches, so they are totally free!  Wrightsville Beach charges a small permit fee, as it is a state park, but for such a small group, I doubt it would be much.

We purposely set our wedding in November for two reasons: 1) it's pretty much the end of hurricane season, and 2) it's considered the off-season, so rates drop drastically.  We're renting a beach house for 10 days for our wedding party for $1900, when that same house would be close to $4000 for the same length of time in the height of summer.

Happy planning to you!
    Anniversary Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards