Kentucky

Reasonable Ceremony/Reception Sites in Louisville

Does anyone know of any good venues in Louisville to hold both a ceremony and reception that's not too expensive? The wedding looks like it will be at the end of July 2011 so we would ideally want somewhere where we could have an outdoor ceremony and an indoor (or at least tented) reception. We are also open to having the entire thing indoors. We just really don't want to get married at a country club or hotel. We'll probably have around 150 people. I would really appreciate anyone's input! Thanks!

Re: Reasonable Ceremony/Reception Sites in Louisville

• inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No clue on what the prices are for these places, but I'd check out Glassworks and the Peterson-Dumesnil House.  There's also a house down on Saint James Place, that begins with a C (something Caldwell) where you can do outdoor ceremony and indoor reception. 
  • melaniems31melaniems31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Inky, you mean Conrad Caldwell... ;)  Hi!!

I second the Peterson Dumesnil house.  Also look at The Brennan House, Cresent Hill Woman's Club, Farnsley Moremen Landing (I saw some pics of a super cute wedding there on Think Photographic's blog: http://www.thinkphotographics.com/louisville-wedding-photography/amanda-wes-farnsley-moreman-landing/
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also look at Yew Dell Gardens.  From what I saw when I looked there, they typically do outdoor ceremonies with a tented reception.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, the Olmsted is really beautiful and would be big enough to host your ceremony and reception indoors, especially with 150 guests. They are pretty reasonably priced compared to a lot of other venues with in house catering, and the service is top notch. I'm a big fan because I think that's where we've decided to have our reception in June 2011. Smile
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yew Dell is crazy expensive (or at least I thought it was, especially given everything they demand) but it is beautiful.  A less expensive option for a garden setting is the Gardens of Ray Eden.
    Anchorage Ballroom was one of my favorite places that we looked at.  There are so many beautiful places in Anchorage to get married at as well.  (Down the street from the ballroom is the front of a church that burned down and all that's left is the front wall.   We thought about getting married there in the arched open doorway of the wall and then walking down to the ballroom.  There's also a beautiful gazebo in the middle a park down the road.)  And then the Farmington House on Newburg Road.
    We also loved the Speed Museum, though there's not an outside are to get married there.   A lot of parks have some beauitful places to have a reception, but the metro parks don't allow alcohol.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for all the great suggestions! I really appreciate it!
  • tarabear888tarabear888 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked into Gingerwoods in Prospect?  It's a really old chapel that's been turned into a reception hall.  It's surrounded by farmland and has a really large deck so you could have your outdoor ceremony and indoor reception.  
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Melanie!  My brain wasn't working last night!
  • ATRS525ATRS525 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got back from visiting many venues in Kentucky.  We visited Glassworks yesterday!  I fell in love with it.  It's a really unique venue.  You can hold the ceremony on the rooftop overlooking the city then hold the reception inside.  Our only holdback on it right now is price.  The catering is pretty expensive and they also charge 15% to go to Glassworks and 20% service charge and then 6% taxes.  But it really was an awesome venue.  

We also visited Yew Dell Gardens which was very pretty, but all outdoors or a tent (we're looking for indoors).  Our next visit was Buffalo Trace Distillery..... GORGEOUS!!!!!!  The land is pretty but I don't know any information on pricing.  Our last 2 visits were Berry Mansion and Elk Creek Winery.  I loved them all.  Elk Creek Winery was AMAZING!  Hope these suggestions help.  I am still searching Kentucky as well so if you find any new places send your suggestions!  (Not that I don't like those places I mentioned... but i'm the kind of person that has to look at every possibility there is).
  • edited December 2011
    Love Berry Hill, Yew Dell, Glassworks, and The Olmstead.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great suggestions again! I will definitely be researching these places! It's difficult because we can't just go visit these places. We live in Tampa, FL but we're both from Louisville so we really want to get married back home! ATRS525, i will definitely let you know if I find any new places (don't worry~I'm that kind of person who needs to know all the possibilities too, lol). Thanks again ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    I loved Buffalo Trace too!  It's $1000 for a four hour time frame on a Friday or Saturday.  The grounds are beautiful.  River Bend Winery in downtown Louisville is a great little place that looks like you stepped into Italy.  And Slugger Field is such a cute idea for people who like baseball.

The Derby Museum is also running a lot of promotions and deals since they lost most of thier reservations with the flood.  They reopen this month and are pretty desperate to get their rentals back in line.  We got a great deal on the rehearsal dinner there.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and Beinheim Forest!  If I remember correctly, the maximum cost for four hours is $1000.  For a small wedding (under 300) it was about $600 for four hours.  It's beautiful and so many different sites to choose from.

I am also one of those people who have to see everything.  I even looked at venues that were too small for our wedding, just because I wanted to!  And it's just fun to go around telling people you are getting married :)
  • RosemaryCBRosemaryCB member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Huber Winery and Talon Winery are both gorgeous if you don't mind it being outside of Louisville!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talon is SO freakin' expensive.  Like, 4000 just to show up on a Saturday.  No food, no alcohol, no chairs.  Just to be there.  It's pretty, but not THAT pretty. 

I love Equus Run, but they're not doing weddings this year.  They've booked every weekend till the FEI games with concerts and stuff.  :( 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • sglenn2sglenn2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our reception is at Shall We Dance ballroom in Anchorage. It is so intimate and unique. Classy, and beautiful. It is $900 for rental. You can also get married there as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards