Maine

Do you rent or own?

amshaw1amshaw1 member
First Comment
Your house? (apt, condo, etc)

Re: Do you rent or own?

• edited December 2011
    Own, but it came with FI and I call it his "baggage".  We are way under water and do not qualify for any refinancing programs so we are stuck until we save a crapload of money.  SUCKS.  That being said, now is a great time to buy and I wish we could take advantage of it.
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    None of the above :P
    We live in my FI parents house, (it is really big) while we are saving up for our own place. We are leaving for Maine in less then 2 weeks and we actually have a coule of houses we wanna take a look at while there for the wedding :D
  • edited December 2011
    We both owned homes before we met.  I have moved in to his/our house.  I have tenants renting out my condo. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We're still in moving around stages, so we rent.  We currently rent a duplex from 1808 that is awesome, but it would be way more work than we could put in to own because of its age.  

We're moving down to DC in the fall, and we thought seriously about buying, but we aren't sure how long we really want to be there before coming back to Maine, so I think at this point we're going to try to find a rental that we (+ the dog) can live in comfortably, and then we'll buy if we want to stay there for longer than my fellowship, which is 2 years.  
  • britthall06britthall06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We own. The timing was right, we got a great deal and got the big tax credit for first time homebuyers. It's a fixer-upper but it has tons of space, I should be able to put a salon in and work from home someday when we have kids!
  • edited December 2011
    own and we are upside down right now like everyone else.  stuck.... :(
  • littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We own - bought a place last year.  It's not the perfect location but it's good for us now, and we're using the tax credit to pay for our wedding! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ValerieCHValerieCH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We rent. I love our townhouse. If it was a little bigger I would buy it--our landlord is originally from MA, is awesome, and has no intentions of moving back to Maine because he only came here for his job. I'm sure he'd sell it to us if we wanted to buy.

My girlfriend and her soon-to-be fiance built a house recently and it is adorable! I'd love to build a house in the next 4-5 years.
  • edited December 2011
    We both own and rent...We were living in Ohio last year and bought a house (actually had it built) because the market was so good and we got a steal. Then a few months after we moved in, we found out the military was moving us to Florida. So now we rent out the house we own and we are renting a house down here. Although we are potentially going to look at houses down here once our lease is up because everything is so cheap down here right now. Although I'm VERY hesitant to have two mortgages to our names....
  • brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We rent an apartment for now.
  • edited December 2011
    We rent currently. We are moving up the the bangor area in July because I recently got a job up there. Its a much bigger place (room to grow!) and I'd say were looking to buy between 2-5 years from now, once we are settled in our careers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Krista521Krista521 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we own.. built our own i should say.. long process and still not done, but in my opinion better than renting!
    Anniversary
  • jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we own our home and the condo we used to live in. we've been renting the condo out. we bought the house three years ago in september. it's tiny, but it works for us.
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We rent the 2nd two floors of a house in Portland.  We love where we live, LOVE having a view of the water, and love being within walking distance to the Old Port!  The condos in my neighborhood, which have less space than we have, go for $250-$300,000 because of the location.  We're okay with renting right now.  At some point, we will look into buying, but not yet. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • H&S091711H&S091711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    own. i bought the house before i met FI. luckily he was renting and he loves the house so we've been happy here and have no plans to move until we outgrow it.

jessicabessica - where are you moving to? i live near DC... :)
    Offbeat Brides & September 2011 August Siggys - Pets and Honeymoon Location: Roatan, Honduras!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    rent

I am  still a student and FI just graduated, we dont have much money and are very blessed to have a fantastic little house to rent from his family

though id love to buy, once i get a more 'stable' job we will buy
  • edited December 2011
    We bought a house last August.  Our mortgage and utility bills are cheaper than what we were paying in rent at our previous apartment.  Obviously, a lot more work goes into a house, but we like having something that's our own, and if I decide I don't like the paint colors I can paint it any time I want.  It was also a good financial move for us, and we live in a nice central location to Augusta and Bangor.  Also, FI works a mile away from the house!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards