Georgia-Atlanta

Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions...

My boyfriend of two years proposed to me this past weekend while we were vacationing in Savannah!  We are very excited and feel so blessed!  I am eager to start planning, but we are new to the area and not all that familiar with our options. We are looking to hold our ceremony in a historic church in downtown Atlanta.  So far I’ve looked at The Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, but I’d like a few selections to choose from.  Does anyone know of any beautifully adorned churches in the downtown area that allow wedding ceremonies?  Denomination is not an issue. I’d like to narrow down venues before all else since I have very selective dates in spring of 2012.  Thanks! 

Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions...

• edited December 2011
    First of all, CONGRATS!!!!  Now, i would say the best thing to do to find a venue is look on this website, or go to atlantabridal.com or weddingwire.com.  since you are new to the area, it will be difficult to know, but online will be your best tool to use.  good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no suggestions, but wanted to say CONGRATS!!! Also, welcome to the board :)
    I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!

Denomination IS an issue. If you are not Catholic, or if your FI is not Catholic, you cannot get maried in a Catholic church. It's not allowed. Furthermore, most churches will not allow you to marry there unless you are a member, or if they allow non members, they might require you to at least belong to that faith. Methodist churches are the most liberal, they are your best bet.

Try Peachtree Christian Church. The big Methodist church on Peachtree does not allow non member weddings. Grace UMC allows them, I believe. Go to the UMC website and start searching for churches in the area, and then google for their websites. That's the best way.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_just-engaged-new-atlanta-ceremony-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:466a4931-599e-408a-b6d1-451cdceb66b6Post:a0bf8b2d-17be-4f5e-b4af-44792d621c08">Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats! Denomination IS an issue. If you are not Catholic, or if your FI is not Catholic, you cannot get maried in a Catholic church. It's not allowed. Furthermore, most churches will not allow you to marry there unless you are a member, or if they allow non members, they might require you to at least belong to that faith. Methodist churches are the most liberal, they are your best bet. Try Peachtree Christian Church. The big Methodist church on Peachtree does not allow non member weddings. Grace UMC allows them, I believe. Go to the UMC website and start searching for churches in the area, and then google for their websites. That's the best way.
    Posted by PuppiesAndRainbows[/QUOTE]

this, exactly.
    you might want to look at places that are beautiful but aren't a church. do you have a venue budget in mind?
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the congratulations and suggestions!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!

My photographer shot a wedding at Holy Spirit Catholic Church and then St. Regis Hotel and those photos were gorgeous.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chrissyinatlchrissyinatl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You will have a really hard time booking in a Catholic church if you are not Catholic and an active member...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_just-engaged-new-atlanta-ceremony-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:466a4931-599e-408a-b6d1-451cdceb66b6Post:3c21ce47-e9b0-4bac-8a18-0cb4686780a8">Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You will have a really hard time booking in a Catholic church if you are not Catholic and an active member...
    Posted by chrissyinatl[/QUOTE]

i'm telling you, as a Catholic, that it wouldn't be allowed if you aren't Catholic. Not that you'll have a hard time, but that it will be nearly impossible.
    And you can't just bs it and tell them you're Catholic, my FI and I had to contact the churches that we were baptized at and get them to send us certificates... this is for my home church up in Woodstock.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just realistic.
    imageimage
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_just-engaged-new-atlanta-ceremony-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:58Discussion:466a4931-599e-408a-b6d1-451cdceb66b6Post:6b538e10-4e90-4d9d-ba60-c3269352f01c">Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions... : i'm telling you, as a Catholic, that it wouldn't be allowed if you aren't Catholic. Not that you'll have a hard time, but that it will be nearly impossible. And you can't just bs it and tell them you're Catholic, my FI and I had to contact the churches that we were baptized at and get them to send us certificates... this is for my home church up in Woodstock. I'm not trying to be a downer, just realistic.
    Posted by jmorford[/QUOTE]

Right.  That's what I just said.  :)  I had to go through a ton of paperwork and several meetings with the priest before I got on the calendar.  :D

But to the original poster, congrats on your engagement!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_just-engaged-new-atlanta-ceremony-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:58Discussion:466a4931-599e-408a-b6d1-451cdceb66b6Post:22bee682-37c2-4087-8872-9f95eea4a1f2">Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions... : Right.  That's what I just said.  :)  I had to go through a ton of paperwork and several meetings with the priest before I got on the calendar.  :D But to the original poster, congrats on your engagement!
    Posted by chrissyinatl[/QUOTE]

you're marying in a Catholic chuch when neither you nor FI are Catholic?
    sorry, i didn't think that was possible... but congrats! i guess i lean something new every day :)
    imageimage
    Anniversary
  • haleightibbshaleightibbs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try St. Mark United Methodist or Atlanta 1st United Methodist -- both have INCREDIBLE stained glass windows and have that smaller feel with the rounded pew seating but both can hold close to 400 people.  Both have incredible original pipe organs too!

Also Central Presbyterian has an incrediblely decorative and historic sanctuary!

Good luck! 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions! We loved St. Marks United Methodist, but decided on First Presbyterian in Midtown! Thanks all!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_just-engaged-new-atlanta-ceremony-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:58Discussion:466a4931-599e-408a-b6d1-451cdceb66b6Post:7c9ca878-ad8f-4bfe-983b-40a24608a894">Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Engaged!!! New to Atlanta? Ceremony Suggestions... : you're marying in a Catholic chuch when neither you nor FI are Catholic? sorry, i didn't think that was possible... but congrats! i guess i lean something new every day :)
    Posted by jmorford[/QUOTE]

Nope, not me.  My fiance' and I are both members of our church, and we STILL had to go through a whole process before we were approved to be married there.  We're both baptized, confirmed, etc and still had to meet with the priest 3-4 times before we could set a date.  That's why I was replying to the original poster, saying she probably couldn't get married "just anywhere".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at St. Paul's (used to be the Abbey) and it was perfect! It was intricate and beautiful without being too big (fit my 200+) guests comfortably. http://www.stpaulsatlanta.com/about/building-history/. You can see pics from my wedding here, if you want to see more http://kellyisnice.com/#/gallery/. And CONGRATS!!!

Meagan O'Neal 
  • edited December 2011
    Hi -
    HUGE SALE !! ~ 20% OFF ALL WEDDING GOWNS JULY 4TH WEEKEND ONLY !!

Atlanta Bride Couture
    20 Milton Avenue
    Alpharetta, GA 3009
    404-229-8690

Saturday 10am - 6pm
    Sunday 10am - 6pm

Ask for Sara !!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards