Wedding Invitations & Paper

What Font to use for mailing address labels?

What is the reccommended font to use for mailing address labels? I am prinitong the addresses out on clear labels so I don't have to hand write them all.  We are having a traditional wedding, elegant, modern....etc, what font should I use?

Re: What Font to use for mailing address labels?

• tsp698tsp698 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2010
    While I don't like labels, I did print mine directly on the envelopes. Neither my FI or I have neat (read legible) handwriting, and we couldn't afford to have them done.

I tried alot of fonts, but most were to hard to read, or kind of blah. I ended up choosing  Edwardian Script IT ( I also bolded it), it has that elegant feel yet is still  legible so the post office didn't have any troubles with it.
    image 107 Invited
    image 43 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image58 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: July 23
  • you don't use labels.

handwrite or print directly on the envelopes

labels = commercial mail
  • Ditto PPs that labels shouldn't be used.
  • I also vote for printing directly on.  The font we used was Miama, which was a nice balance between fancy and legible.  Printing directly on also allowed me to include a graphic that was used on the invitation and the programs, which I thought was a nice touch.  PIB.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_font-use-mailing-address-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:ca0c3282-2e32-45ce-883c-1932f6e7e1e0Post:1c640655-da1b-434e-81e7-bd0d6256cfe3">Re: What Font to use for mailing address labels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe your opinion of proper etiquette is to not use labels on envelopes, but that certainly does not make it a rule or a fact.  It may be the way you think it customarily should be done, but etiquette changes from person to person and in different places of the country and/or world.  The way you traditionally do things may not be the way someone else does the same thing, so just because you deem it to be polite and correct doesn't make it a fact or rule.
    Posted by daisy28426[/QUOTE]

Etiquette dosn't change over the years. People's interpretation and their level of desire to follow  etiquette changes.  You are mistaken.  You do not use labels to print on your wedding invitations.  That is not an opinion.  It comes down to whether or not you have the time, energy or patience to do it.  Choosing to print and affix labels on your invitations is not evolving etiquette.  It is lazy.

I have horrible handwriting, but I still wrote adresses on the outer envelope of every one of my invites.  There are some things you don't find short cuts to, and this is one of them.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • I said I have horrible handwriting.  On my invites, I took my time and wrote nicely.  Took me three days, but they got done.  They were nice and they were legible.

And at the end of the day, I'd rather an envelope look nice rather than appalling handwriting greeting me in my mailbox -  thats my opinion (but good for you for showing off your horrible handwriting - I'm sure everyone truly appreciates it and will applaud your industrious work).

I would much rather get a wedding invite that looks like someone spent some time on instead of an obvious through-put product. 

Your snarky sarcasm did not go unnoticed.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • And that's yet another great point vsgal. 
  • Personally, my opinion is that there is a tier of what is acceptable for the occasion.
    For a formal wedding, hiring a professional calligrapher is what is preferred. While I did printed labels for my StDs, we will be doing a completely formal invitation suite complete with professionally addressed inner and outer envelopes.

For semi-formal or more modern, individually professionally printed envelopes are acceptable.

If it's an informal/casual wedding, then I think printed labels or personal hand writing is fine.

But really, there's no point in trying to make someone feel bad for using printed labels.

If any guests would be offended by something so miniscule in the scheme of things, they probably aren't even worth the grief of inviting.
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • How about getting a personalized embosser and pressing your return address into the backs of the envelopes?  That might be a good compromise for you.
  • Thank you for all of your input-  you all have your own opinions of what is right and what is "socially right".  It seems as though NONE of you are answering my question.  I asked " what is the best font to use on mailing address labels- for the SAVE THE DATE." not the invitations themselves.  I KNOW that it is proper to get them done professionally.  Do not put people down who cannot afford it.  if they have bad handwriting and the post office cannot read their writing "socally correct"or not theyre better off  printing in anyway  shape or form on SOMEthing so that their special invite is being reached to the right people.  Some people could care less if they are socially or properly correct,  it is their day, and they can choose to do as they wish.  If they want to have a white dress - which is "socially correct" then so be it.  If she chooses to have a black dress- SO BE IT!  It is what makes the world go round.
  • edited October 2010
    [QUOTE]<strong>Some of you girls are being quite rude if you ask me. </strong>Megan didn't ask for your opinion about using the labels; she asked for your opinion about what font she should use.  And even if you want to give your opinion about what you consider 'tradition' or 'elegant' or 'commercial mail', you should say it as your opinion and not in a way that makes it sound like a concrete fact or rule that should never ever ever be broken. Maybe this is in your own wedding planning etiquette book, but not all of us have the time or money or talent to handwrite addresses on the envelope or print directly on the envelope or hire a calligrapher, etc. MeganBM - I would check out Lucida Calligraphy Bold font for your labels!
    I didn't see anything rude until I got to your post. Plus, she did get suggestions on fonts - Edwardian, Miama, and Copperplate - before you came along, with a better suggestion to print directly on the envelopes.

Why are people around here so opposed to being told what is the right thing to do?
  • Daisy, I'd just like to point out that in the time you took to argue your point, you could have addressed quite a few envelopes.

I also think some people are confusing etiquette and tradition.

Etiquette is a social law that exists for how to treat others appropriately.   One addresses her wedding or STD envelopes by hand as it tells the guest you personaly want their attendance, you're taking the time to personalize such a large event and you're conveying that hospitality.  Labels do not work.

Tradition holds that a bride wears a shade of white.  That isn't etiquette at all.

You can opt not to follow etiquette, but you can't ignore it or claim that for you it doesn't exist once you've been informed.
  • By someone even getting an invite- ( Everyone wants to be invited to a wedding) especially since it is a first for the grroms side- It feels personal and special to them that they are getting invited, because a professional doesnt know who you want at your wedding- only you do.

• Megan, you're certainly right about that.

However plenty of people do indeed pay attention to the invitation from the envelope to the printing of the invitation itself.  My own mother said, "You're definitely addressing those envelopes by hand."  

I don't know that anyone is offended by a label the same way that some may be offended by a cash bar which is also a breach of etiquette.  However there is an appropriate way to treat guests from start to finish and that does mean that a label on an envelope has no place on a wedding invitation or STD.
  • I don't know that people are going to necessarily be offended, but I think you do open yourself up to your wedding being taken less seriously with labels.  People do notice that kind of thing.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • To answer the original question:
    I would google "free handwriting font" I came up with a lot that way, and a friend of mine printed directly on the envilopes in a navy blue and she used a font she found online and downloaded. I thought they came out really nice, and a lot of ppl didn't realize she used her printer. She did like a million test runs where she printed her address like 16 times on a piece of paper and cut them out and asked us obsessively which one looked more natural lol

I am having two bridesmaids with great handwriting do them :o)

Best of luck!
  • For our save the dates I printed directly on the envelope in the standard script font in publisher. I actually downloaded an envelop template (free download) for publisher and used a mail merge. After a few practice runs to adjust the size and color, the envelopes took less than 30 minutes to print and looked good. I am practicing calligraphy for the actual invites, but printing directly on the envelop worked out great for our STDs. 
  • Thanks for all the info- I ended up hand writing them.
    - CASE CLOSED.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_font-use-mailing-address-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:ca0c3282-2e32-45ce-883c-1932f6e7e1e0Post:845e1a3e-72ca-4950-a694-cdd26846b07c">Re: What Font to use for mailing address labels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some of you girls are being quite rude if you ask me. Megan didn't ask for your opinion about using the labels; she asked for your opinion about what font she should use.  And even if you want to give your opinion about what you consider 'tradition' or 'elegant' or 'commercial mail', you should say it as your opinion and not in a way that makes it sound like a concrete fact or rule that should never ever ever be broken. Maybe this is in your own wedding planning etiquette book, but not all of us have the time or money or talent to handwrite addresses on the envelope or print directly on the envelope or hire a calligrapher, etc. MeganBM - I would check out Lucida Calligraphy Bold font for your labels!

I know this post was posted 2008 - but I tried the LUCIDA CALLIGRAPHY BOLD AND ITS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!
    Honestly I find its ridiculous this thread on fighting over lables - im doing labels and I dont see what the problem is
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_font-use-mailing-address-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:ca0c3282-2e32-45ce-883c-1932f6e7e1e0Post:9e45db18-6909-45bc-9312-290f444be288">Re: What Font to use for mailing address labels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Font to use for mailing address labels? : Etiquette dosn't change over the years. People's interpretation and their level of desire to follow  etiquette changes.  You are mistaken.  You do not use labels to print on your wedding invitations.  That is not an opinion.  It comes down to whether or not you have the time, energy or patience to do it.  Choosing to print and affix labels on your invitations is not evolving etiquette.  It is lazy. I have horrible handwriting, but I still wrote adresses on the outer envelope of every one of my invites.  There are some things you don't find short cuts to, and this is one of them.
    Posted by vsgal[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>People won't care rather your print on labels or you handwrite their addresses, and if they do then they shouldn't be invited to your wedding. All that matters is that you care about them enough to invite them, not the way you write their address. Get a life!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_font-use-mailing-address-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:ca0c3282-2e32-45ce-883c-1932f6e7e1e0Post:9e45db18-6909-45bc-9312-290f444be288">Re: What Font to use for mailing address labels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Font to use for mailing address labels? : Etiquette dosn't change over the years. People's interpretation and their level of desire to follow  etiquette changes.  You are mistaken.  You do not use labels to print on your wedding invitations.  That is not an opinion.  It comes down to whether or not you have the time, energy or patience to do it.  Choosing to print and affix labels on your invitations is not evolving etiquette.  It is lazy. I have horrible handwriting, but I still wrote adresses on the outer envelope of every one of my invites.  There are some things you don't find short cuts to, and this is one of them.
    Posted by vsgal[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>People won't care rather your print on labels or you handwrite their addresses, and if they do then they shouldn't be invited to your wedding. All that matters is that you care about them enough to invite them, not the way you write their address. Get a life!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards