Oregon

Charelston, OR

We are in Klamath Falls, OR and wanting to get married in Charelston on Labor Day weekend.  I don't have any idea were to start planning.  The only thing I know is we are on a really tight budget, staying at Sunset Bay Campground, and going casual.  Can anyone help?

Re: Charelston, OR

• DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as where to get started, the only things you absolutely need are a state issued marriage license, someone legally able to perform a wedding, and two witnesses, so I'd start there.

Marriage License:  It varies by county.  For Klamath County, it looks like both the bride and groom have to appear at teh county recorder's office in person with a valid driver's licernse.  The license is $50 and they only accept cash.  There is a 3 day waiting period after the license is issued, and it is good for 60 days.  The office is opne 8-4 M-F and is located at 305 Main Street Klamath Falls, Oregon 97601.  541-883-5134.  A license can be purchased from any county and be used in any county.

Officiant:  A judge or minister can marry you.  If you'd rather (and it may be easier for you with your time constraints and planning from out of town), you can have a friend or relative be ordained online and then they can legally marry you.  http://ulc.net/

Witnesses: This is the easy one - bring two friends or family members!  No matter how many people you plan to invite, set your date, time and location right away since Labor Day Weekend is coming up and you'll want to invite people quickly so they can make plans to join you.  If you want to go really super casual for invites, you could do an e-vite.  Otherwise, I'd go to Office Depot or Staples and get one of the print your own invite kits, or even some cool 8x11 letterhead/stationary.  At this point it's probably going to be extremely tough to find campsites for guests.  Hotels may be tough to come by too, I don't know.

Location:  I have no idea if you'll need to get an event permit for your wedding.  You might need to.  It's probably best to call the place where you'd like to get married and ask.  Some nice looking locations around the campgroun are Cape Arago Park (http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_94.php), Shore Acres State Park (http://www.shoreacres.net/), and of course Sunset Bay State Park (http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_100.php).

Once you've got those basics taken care of, then you can start thinking about the other things, like clothing, photographer, food, cake, etc.
  • laceygraham1laceygraham1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are having his sister and her boyfriend be our witnesses, we don't care were we just want a beach, we are getting the marriage licence next week.  But the Officiant is the biggest problem I am having.

• edited December 2011
    You can just google for an officiant close to that area who will travel. It'll probably be anywhere from $100-$400. Just google "wedding officiant city" or "justice of peace city." Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • laceygraham1laceygraham1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been goolein my ass off and have only found one and don't know if he will travel.  I am going to call him on monday.
  • edited December 2011
    Do you have anyone close to you who you would like/wouldn't mind marrying you? My brother just got ordained through Universal Life Church to marry us. It seriously took 5 minutes - all they need is name, birthday, address, etc. You do it online. Then you order the signed certificate thing (I think it's like $25) and they mail it within a week. Then they just take it to the county courthouse and file it and they can legally marry you. Just a suggestion, a LOT cheaper than paying someone to travel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Look at things in North Bend or Coos Bay - they're all within a few minutes of one another and are significantly larger than Charleston.
  • sarahmarietmsarahmarietm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What Nana said! That's what my brother did.  I liked that it was someone we knew, not some random person we would never see again lol.
    Photobucket
  • heidirobbinsheidirobbins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Coos Bay originally there are so beautiful places out there. Shore Acres gardens comes to mind, however thats a popular wedding venue so may be a bit more $ than your willing to spend. Also on that same drive(Can't remember the name) at the very end of that road is a beautiful lookout area you could hold a small ceremony there..or really even at Sunset beach at one quiet side...Lots of options..Hope the weather is good for you!
  • edited December 2011

I agree, have a friend get ordained and marry you. :) DH and I had a Justice of the Peace marry us and she litterally showed up, read the script we gave her, and left for another wedding. Granted, we got married in Portland on a very busy July weekend, but it all seemed rather impersonal and rushed.

I lived 5th-12th grades in Coos Bay and I agree that there are many pretty little places where you can have a quick informal wedding. Sunset beach itself is gorgeous and has a covered picnic area if you want a reception afterwards. Then there is Cape Arago state park and Shore Acres (though Shore Acres is bound to be more expensive). You can always contact the Coos Bay Chamber of Commerce for advice or recommendations.

I guess a good question would be are you planning to have guests and require infrastructure (seating, electricity, etc.), or a reception, etc? This will make a big different in your venue choice.

If you are considering the coast in general, you might also have a look at Bandon. I *love* the quaint old town vibe. Thought to be honest, I haven't been down there much since the golf course went in, so it might be more expensive now.

Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards