Georgia-Savannah

Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!

I'm from West Virginia and my fiancee and I are wanting to get married in Savannah, but we don't exactly know where to have everything. I have contacted a few places, but it's harder than I thought it would be, mainly because I can't just drive over and look at all the possible places. I would just like to hear from actual people, not vendors. Sometimes I feel like if I deal with people who aren't trying to make money, then you get a different opionion.. Indoor, outdoor, it doesn't matter! I want Lady & Sons to do our reception, but I haven't decided whether to have our recpetion in their banquet room, or at our wedding venue. We don't plan on having more than 30-40 people. I hope somebody can help me! Thanks!

Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!

• What do you have in mind when you picture it?  There are so many options.  

The Lady and Son's is ok, but there are far better places that are far less expensive.  If you really just want the Paula Deen expirience, that's cool.  However, it wouldn't be one of my first recomendations.  

There are some great squares and parks in Savannah.  They are fairly inexpensive to reserve for out door weddings.  The Ships of the Sea Musuem has an amazing garden you can reserve for weddings.  The Tybee Wedding Chappel is a beautiful venue.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, to be honest, I can't describe it. I just love everything about Savannah. I loved walking down the streets and passing horse drawn carriages, that's just not something you see around here. I have loved every idea that I have seen so far so I'm just torn every which way :( && that's not a very good answer, I know :( I'm open for any suggestions you have though! The sky is the limit for ideas and I am just not used to having so many different options to choose from so it's quite overwhelming! I only picked lady & sons because I love the restaraunt and my fiancee has been wanting to go there for quite sometime now. I'm familiar with the food, and I know it's something my fiancee will like too. He is qite a picky eater, and there's no playing it safe with his taste in food! I loved the Tybee Wedding Chapel, how far away is it from Savannah? Do you have any wedding planners or places that offer wedding packages that you recommend?
  • Since you have a small group, your options are endless! I'm not sure exactly what youre looking for, but there are tons of older-Savannah masions that rent out for intimate weddings...and they make beautiful pictures! The Davenport house is a nice option...
    The Tybee Wedding Chapel is very pretty, however it is about 20 minutes from downtown Savannah.
    Also, if I had a smaller number, I would have LOVED to have my wedding at Bethesda... It is a beautiful area (plus, it's only $500 to rent the chapel!!!) worth looking into... :)
    Here is a great website with TONS of information on different available places in Savannah. http://www.weddingmapper.com/wedding_vendors/ga/savannah/ceremony_venues/5
    I hope this helps! and good luck! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:02b9c940-98e6-44a2-a909-b0b8fb611e44">Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since you have a small group, your options are endless! I'm not sure exactly what youre looking for, but there are tons of older-Savannah masions that rent out for intimate weddings...and they make beautiful pictures! The Davenport house is a nice option... The Tybee Wedding Chapel is very pretty, however it is about 20 minutes from downtown Savannah. Also, if I had a smaller number, I would have LOVED to have my wedding at Bethesda... It is a beautiful area (plus, it's only $500 to rent the chapel!!!) worth looking into... :) Here is a great website with TONS of information on different available places in Savannah. <a href="http://www.weddingmapper.com/wedding_vendors/ga/savannah/ceremony_venues/5" rel="nofollow">http://www.weddingmapper.com/wedding_vendors/ga/savannah/ceremony_venues/5</a> I hope this helps! and good luck! :)
    Posted by meggie1085[/QUOTE]

wow, you have just made my night! I can't wait to look at the website, and everything you suggested sounds so nice! I appreciate your help! If you think of anything else, just let me know! I need ideas for everything :) I want to keep everything close together, so the places you suggested sound perfect! Thanks so much!!!!!!!! :)
  • ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    We are using Coastal Savannah Weddings and they're taking care of everything for us.  I couldn't be happier with them.  Our wedding will be about the same size as yours, when all is said and done.  (It's also a DW.) Coastal Savannah Weddings is taking care of everything and I love that we just have to show up. They're doing chairs, the permit for the square, flowers, hair, makeup, transportation, officiant, and the whole 9 yards.  I am not one who really gives a you-know-what about every last detail being perfect.  I just want to show up, get married, and for our guests to have a good time.

For what it's worth, our ceremony will be at the gazebo in Whitfield Square.  It will be a morning wedding, then our guests will have a 1 hour trolley tour of downtown Savannah (because who REALLY wants a cocktail hour during the day?) and then we're going to Vic's on the River for lunch.  Vic's also has a larger room that can accommodate a ceremony.  We actually booked the larger room so we can have a backup in case of rain.  Our cake is coming from Sheri's Edible Creations in Hilton Head, SC and we're flying our photographer in from FL - Aislinn Kate Photography.  (She used to live in Savannah and only recently moved.  We did meet her when we flew down to meet with vendors but she moved between the time we met with her and the time we actually decided on a date/vendors.  However, she is totally excited to be able to come back to Savannah for our wedding and has been amazing to work with so far.) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:faa2165b-89d7-4515-8e69-b3e458156949">Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using Coastal Savannah Weddings and they're taking care of everything for us.  I couldn't be happier with them.  Our wedding will be about the same size as yours, when all is said and done.  (It's also a DW.) Coastal Savannah Weddings is taking care of everything and I love that we just have to show up. They're doing chairs, the permit for the square, flowers, hair, makeup, transportation, officiant, and the whole 9 yards.  I am not one who really gives a you-know-what about every last detail being perfect.  I just want to show up, get married, and for our guests to have a good time. For what it's worth, our ceremony will be at the gazebo in Whitfield Square.  It will be a morning wedding, then our guests will have a 1 hour trolley tour of downtown Savannah (because who REALLY wants a cocktail hour during the day?) and then we're going to Vic's on the River for lunch.  Vic's also has a larger room that can accommodate a ceremony.  We actually booked the larger room so we can have a backup in case of rain.  Our cake is coming from Sheri's Edible Creations in Hilton Head, SC and we're flying our photographer in from FL - Aislinn Kate Photography.  (She used to live in Savannah and only recently moved.  We did meet her when we flew down to meet with vendors but she moved between the time we met with her and the time we actually decided on a date/vendors.  However, she is totally excited to be able to come back to Savannah for our wedding and has been amazing to work with so far.) 
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for this! Once again, it's hard to try and research all of this and firgue out who I would like to go with! Coastal Savannah Weddings sound slovely and I can't wait to find out some more info on them! My cousin actually lives down there and she has recently started her photography business, so that's who we would probably go with. Also, my Uncle is my childhood preacher and he is who we wanted to perform our ceremony, but when I went to book with certain places I couldn't use them so I decided not to go that route and take a different perspective on wedding planning. I love the idea of a gazebo wedding :) It has always been a dream of mine and I am so happy to start planning it!! I appreciate you help! & I love the idea of a trolley ride, I would have never thought of that, and none of my family drinks anyway, nor do my FI & I so that is a great idea!! Thanks so much! :)
  • We actually got all of that in one package with CSW.  The only thing I added on was the hair and airbrush makeup.  We got 3 hours of trolley service so I figured why not use it to give our guests a little tour?  We're doing a Sunday wedding and everyone is pretty much coming in on Saturday and leaving early Monday so they won't have a ton of time for sight-seeing.  So the trolley works out well because it will give them a taste of our favorite city.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • That makes a lot of sense to do that. Basically everybody we are inviting has never been there, so it'd be nice to let them see why we like it so much.  Ours will be about the same, our guests will arrive on saturday and leave on Sunday so they won't have much time to do anything. Plus a lot of them are taking their vacations and heading to florida to catch a cruise or go to disney world.. so the trolley tour would be great for us also :) I am so thankful you mentioned that! I am definitely going to check into CSW, I'm anxious to see what they have! Thanks again!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:76c87923-b32a-4b69-897c-efe68489b802">Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What do you have in mind when you picture it?  There are so many options.   The Lady and Son's is ok, but there are far better places that are far less expensive.  If you really just want the Paula Deen expirience, that's cool.  However, it wouldn't be one of my first recomendations.   There are some great squares and parks in Savannah.  They are fairly inexpensive to reserve for out door weddings.  The Ships of the Sea Musuem has an amazing garden you can reserve for weddings.  The Tybee Wedding Chappel is a beautiful venue.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

The squares are beautiful, but I do have to say I went to a wedding on one of the squares and with traffic going by it really took away from the wedding- especially the trolley because they are so loud. I completely agree with going in another direction for the food. I always tell people if they want good southern food to go to Mrs. Wilkes. I just don't know if they do catering...I imagine they would.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:49f3104e-1976-4e3a-92b0-b1c68169807b">Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, to be honest, I can't describe it. I just love everything about Savannah. I loved walking down the streets and passing horse drawn carriages, that's just not something you see around here. I have loved every idea that I have seen so far so I'm just torn every which way :( && that's not a very good answer, I know :( I'm open for any suggestions you have though! The sky is the limit for ideas and I am just not used to having so many different options to choose from so it's quite overwhelming! I only picked lady & sons because I love the restaraunt and my fiancee has been wanting to go there for quite sometime now. I'm familiar with the food, and I know it's something my fiancee will like too. He is qite a picky eater, and there's no playing it safe with his taste in food! I loved the Tybee Wedding Chapel, how far away is it from Savannah? Do you have any wedding planners or places that offer wedding packages that you recommend?
    Posted by CMJC10[/QUOTE]

I'm using Teresa Dilmore at MPG Weddings. She's wonderful and works with brides on a budget. I don't know how your fiance feels about seafood, but there are some caterers that do some awesome Low Country Boil. Just a thought...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:534cae23-0804-41b7-8ed1-9d6173f2f0f1">Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!! : I'm using Teresa Dilmore at MPG Weddings. She's wonderful and works with brides on a budget. I don't know how your fiance feels about seafood, but there are some caterers that do some awesome Low Country Boil. Just a thought...
    Posted by anglssftwhisper[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your suggestions! I hadn't even thought about the noise.. This sounds crazy, but how are the squares set up? We don't have anything like that so I'm trying to piece all of this together and I'm having a hard time! lol. & he doesn't really like it, he mainly eats chicken.. that's about it.. lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://savannah.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:7d6d12e5-fb28-4c0d-b1a8-9c59df64fcf4">Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!! : Thanks for your suggestions! I hadn't even thought about the noise.. This sounds crazy, but how are the squares set up? We don't have anything like that so I'm trying to piece all of this together and I'm having a hard time! lol. & he doesn't really like it, he mainly eats chicken.. that's about it.. lol
    Posted by CMJC10[/QUOTE]

We are getting married at The Mackey House! Just beautiful... And great for smaller groups! Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:7d6d12e5-fb28-4c0d-b1a8-9c59df64fcf4">Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!! : Thanks for your suggestions! I hadn't even thought about the noise.. This sounds crazy, but how are the squares set up? We don't have anything like that so I'm trying to piece all of this together and I'm having a hard time! lol. & he doesn't really like it, he mainly eats chicken.. that's about it.. lol
    Posted by CMJC10[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the square. A lot have monuments in them and some really have nothing. There's actually one square that's said to be built over a slave cemetary (yikes!) lol...I wish I could remember the name of it, but I'd definitely do your research. I'm sure you can look the different squares and their histories up on the City of Savannah's website.

<a href="http://www.visit-historic-savannah.com/savannah-wedding-venues.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.visit-historic-savannah.com/savannah-wedding-venues.html</a>

This website had a lot of infornation that you could probably find useful. The squares are beautiful...they really are, but the noise of the traffic would be my main issue- and don't forget about tourists as well, some people really have no consideration of their surroundings and will walk right through your ceremony. Roping it off would be a really good idea. But if that's what you want to do I would strongly suggest Forsyth Park (the one with the fountain). It's gorgeous and larger than the squares and could possibly offer a little more privacy.

Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_need-help-on-wedding-venue-reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:603Discussion:91420a7d-eba9-46eb-872e-5d2d0a46122cPost:d8a0c2c3-a7cf-403f-8534-46077cd8ad5b">Out of state bride & need HELP w/ wedding venue & reception.. Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from West Virginia and my fiancee and I are wanting to get married in Savannah, but we don't exactly know where to have everything. I have contacted a few places, but it's harder than I thought it would be, mainly because I can't just drive over and look at all the possible places. I would just like to hear from actual people, not vendors. Sometimes I feel like if I deal with people who aren't trying to make money, then you get a different opionion.. Indoor, outdoor, it doesn't matter! I want Lady & Sons to do our reception, but I haven't decided whether to have our recpetion in their banquet room, or at our wedding venue. We don't plan on having more than 30-40 people. I hope somebody can help me! Thanks!
    Posted by CMJC10[/QUOTE]

<div>We are from N.C. and we booked the properties at SavannahVillas @ 109 West Liberty Street. We visited the porperty and it is beautiful. Ms. Helen and Robbie are wonderful to work with. This is a property that you can enjoy all your guest and/or have your wedding. Hope this helps. Debbie and Mike</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards