Wedding Reception Forum

Classy? way to do a subtle cash bar

2»

Re: Classy? way to do a subtle cash bar

• Cash bars are common here. Against proper etiquette, yes, but still very very acceptable here. My personal opinion is that I'd rather pay for my drink than not have one at all (maybe I sound like an alcoholic but I'd honestly get bored at a dry wedding), and I'd rather invite everyone I want there than cut people so the rest can get drunk (and no, I won't be having a $5000 dress or extravagant things and then skimp on what we give our guests. We're cutting in all areas). Yeah yeah, not a popular opinion but that's how I feel.

Anyways, the most common thing I see is "ABC beer and XYZ wine compliments of the bride and groom" or "Compliments of the bride and groom: Soda, coffee, tea, wine, beer, whatever".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_classy-way-to-do-a-subtle-cash-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:0e4a242b-59c6-4454-b73b-e9556d41179dPost:cb10cc41-e135-4842-9033-3f5a3bcd37ac">Re: Classy? way to do a subtle cash bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's better to have no bar than a cash one. Guests should not have to pay for anything at your reception.
    Posted by melanieky[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I couldn't disagree more. The guest should be able to have the option. A little business card sized sign would be fine that says "cash bar". The bartenders can also remind people who order alcohol with a little "cash bar sir". Should be enough.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_classy-way-to-do-a-subtle-cash-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:0e4a242b-59c6-4454-b73b-e9556d41179dPost:481b8225-c4d1-4ffe-b6fc-3c57aef4cf01">Re: Classy? way to do a subtle cash bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am shocked that so many people feel a cash bar is acceptable.  I don't care how common it is, a reception is a thank you to your guests.  In thanking them, you provide them with food and drink (alochol or non-alcoholic) courtesy of you and at no cost to them.  Your guests should not have to open up their wallet.  If you can't afford to host an open bar, that's fine.....then just do wine and beer.  And if you can't afford wine and beer, have a dry wedding.  Just host what you can afford.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]
    Wow. This is very odd to me. It's a celebration of your marriage. You should be grateful to be invited to someone's special day. It's a privledge not a right. Some people don't want to drink alcohol at events. Why should the bride and groom pay for those people? And if people want a drink why prevent them from doing so? There is no harm in providing that option to people. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_classy-way-to-do-a-subtle-cash-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:0e4a242b-59c6-4454-b73b-e9556d41179dPost:c3e6a92c-5e30-4b57-af53-a1601bfe187a">Re: Classy? way to do a subtle cash bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can see both viewpoints make sense on this one. Although a cash bar is very acceptable in this area, my FI and I opted for open bar because this is something he wanted to do. Im sure our guests are going to be surprised with the open bar just because this is something practically unheard of in weddings in this area. On the same note, i also think it is selfish and rude to opt out of serving alcohol because you cant afford it when there are guests who are more than willing to front some cash for drinks.
    Posted by am2326[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you 100%. I'm trying to do a cash bar because I think it will be special for my guests and they will appreciate it. I've been to a cash bar wedding plenty of times. Why should I expect my friends to pay the same amount for me if I want 1 glass of wine or 14 beers? That's a lot to expect out of people. <div>
    </div><div>Most people around me will do at least an open bar cocktail hour and then switch to cash bar during the reception. </div><div>
    </div><div>Another idea we had was to do a semi-cash bar where we would do $1 drinks (beer/wine/booze) or something like that to keep the costs down for our guests. In the end we were blessed to find the money for open bar. We're very fortunate.</div>
  • martind1, you give terrible advice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards