Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Droid vs Blackberry

I really wanted to get an iPhone, but I can't justify the monthly cost.  So, I'm left with Droid or a BB (probably the Storm2).  Thoughts?
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: Droid vs Blackberry

• Options
    I have a blackberry...it sucks.  Go with the droid!  I'm switching when I'm eligible for an upgrade.
  • Options
    Not sure if you know this, but you would probably get a discount off your monthly bill with AT&T.  We get 15% off our bill because DH is a federal employee, and they mentioned that their military discount is even better than their AT&T employee discount when we were signing up.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Is the monthly cost more? Since ATT&T is doing the choose your data plan packages now, mine is going to be cheaper than it used to be 2MB of data and 1500 texts is only $30 a month. Are the other carriers much cheaper than that?
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I have the HTC Hero (Android OS) and I love it.  I have several co-workers who dropped their iPhones for the HTC Evo.  Other than the shiny apple logo, it's cheaper and a better product. 

I'm kind of a geek... if you want the boring stats, I can list them for you.  :)
    I like dogs, but not to eat
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options
    Droiiiiiiiiiid
  • Options
    I went from a Blackberry Tour to the Droid.  Do it.  It's the best phone and the internet is super fast, it's just like having a small computer with you at all times.  My FI is a computer guy with his own business and the Droid makes his job so much easier, he can remotely log in to his customer's PCs with the phone, wireless tether, stream music while using the GPS in the car. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have the motorola droid and am OBSESSED. its the best phone and I love that it has a physical keyboard.

• Options
    I have a blackberry and I hate it. I'm planning on switching to the Droid when I can.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i have a bb and i'd take a android phone over it any day. not a droid though, i'd go with the evo or the incredible. the iphone sucks don't waste your time with it. it's a toy and nothing more. 

i'm laughing at the "justifying the cost" comment about the iphone though, what makes you think that a droid or bb would be any cheaper? they're all smart phones and all have the same data plans. 
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_droid-vs-blackberry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08955b3-2708-4884-b7ff-dca4ed81b206Post:e180bc28-67ae-4acb-b871-12abd8ef72dd">Re: Droid vs Blackberry</a>:
    [QUOTE]i have a bb and i'd take a android phone over it any day. not a droid though, i'd go with the evo or the incredible. the iphone sucks don't waste your time with it. it's a toy and nothing more. <strong> i'm laughing at the "justifying the cost" comment about the iphone though, what makes you think that a droid or bb would be any cheaper? they're all smart phones and all have the same data plans. 
    </strong>Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

Maybe because a droid or a bb IS cheaper? 

As far as plans go, I can only speak for the bb.  H and I each have different bbs and our plan is right on $150.  That's with H's military discount (Verizon).  I love our bbs but would love to upgrade to the droid :)

Edit - I should note that we have unlimited text and data plus 700 minutes combined.  It doesn't sound like a lot of minutes to split between two people, but almost everyone we know has Verizon and in-network calling is free.

If you go with the droid, you will have to let me know how you like it... I've really heard nothing but really great things!
  • Options
    I get a sweet corporate discount with any of them.  Perk of working for a behemoth.  And, still, the monthly price of the iphone w/ AT&T vs a smart phone + a regular phone for H on Verizon is darn near the same.  So, H's phone is free, basically, if I go with Verizon.  He WILL NOT go to AT&T. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">In Response to <a style="text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal;color:#1f1f1f;" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_droid-vs-blackberry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08955b3-2708-4884-b7ff-dca4ed81b206Post:84f86c88-2e07-44f9-a6aa-a3862cbadcea">Re: Droid vs Blackberry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Droid vs Blackberry :<strong> Maybe because a droid or a bb IS cheaper?</strong>  As far as plans go, I can only speak for the bb.  H and I each have different bbs and our plan is right on $150.  That's with H's military discount (Verizon).  I love our bbs but would love to upgrade to the droid :) Edit - I should note that we have unlimited text and data plus 700 minutes combined.  It doesn't sound like a lot of minutes to split between two people, but almost everyone we know has Verizon and in-network calling is free. If you go with the droid, you will have to let me know how you like it... I've really heard nothing but really great things!
    Posted by TheSaltyPeanut[/QUOTE]

<div>they all have a $30 data plan. so how is that cheaper?????? oh yea, it's not. we have two bb's, one on BES the other on BIS, and pay $140 a month (which we actually now can reduce by $15). a iphone would be exactly the same price which is cheaper than vzw apparently so i'm still trying to understand how a iphone is more expensive than a bb or an android. it seems cheaper actually as long as it's not on vzw. </div></div>
  • Options
    My husband and I both have android phones (MyTouch Slide and Motorola Clic) from TMobile.  They both have a swype feature on the virtual keyboard that is awesome if you have trouble wth that kind of keyboard.  The MyTouch has a qwerty keyboard as well.  We both love our new phones!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_droid-vs-blackberry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08955b3-2708-4884-b7ff-dca4ed81b206Post:ad273d02-8b51-4627-8a40-0fd02f839d86">Re: Droid vs Blackberry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Droid vs Blackberry : they all have a $30 data plan. so how is that cheaper?????? oh yea, it's not. we have two bb's, one on BES the other on BIS, and pay $140 a month (which we actually now can reduce by $15). a iphone would be exactly the same price which is cheaper than vzw apparently so i'm still trying to understand how a iphone is more expensive than a bb or an android. it seems cheaper actually as long as it's not on vzw. 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the actual phone itself... not the data plan.
  • Options
    Verizon will be getting the Iphone....just not sure when.  I heard rumors about it being soon, but I know 100% that Verizon bought the contract for the Iphone from Apple.  I talked to some Verizon employees and they said possibly next summer.  I know that doesn't help you out now :)

I get a pretty sweet discount with Verizon, more then their employees...so I would never switch, but I have a BB Curve and I really like it.  I have never tried the Droid so I'm not sure....
  • Options
    Psichick, it's two-fold - my discount is better at Verizon than at AT&T, and because H won't switch to AT&T we can't do a family plan and share minutes there.  Between the two, it's a sizeable chunk of change.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    I have friends who complain about paying so much money for the iphone and the service plan.  I actually have 1 friend who is going to get rid of his iphone and go with the droid and Verizon.  Verizon is a huge sponsor for my company and they don't like people having AT&T as their work phone so that might have something to do with it....I know someone who has a verizon BB for work and then has an AT&T account so he can have the iphone...its ridiculous!!! 

I personally think Verizon has better coverage and cell reception then AT&T too.  From what I have experienced that is. 
  • Options
     I have the original BB Storm, and can't wait to get a Droid in August. The keyboard is impossible to use because the touch keys are so small, it keeps getting hung up, and it likes calling my mom on its own at random times. I would avoid teh Storm at alll costs.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_droid-vs-blackberry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08955b3-2708-4884-b7ff-dca4ed81b206Post:a93ae35b-37c2-495a-95cd-058cdf7afe17">Re: Droid vs Blackberry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Verizon will be getting the Iphone....just not sure when.  I heard rumors about it being soon, but I know 100% that Verizon bought the contract for the Iphone from Apple.  I talked to some Verizon employees and they said possibly next summer.  I know that doesn't help you out now :) I get a pretty sweet discount with Verizon, more then their employees...so I would never switch, but I have a BB Curve and I really like it.  I have never tried the Droid so I'm not sure....
    Posted by *BeachBride0410*[/QUOTE]

Verizon tried to get the iPhone and Apple wanted to give it to them for this summer, but AT&T is making Apple stick to their orginal exclusive contract that stays they can't take the iPhone anywhere else until mid 2012. 

As far as plan cost goes.  I had the iPhone plan (the cheapest I could get it) with AT&T and it cost me after taxes $124 a month.  (I had GPS too which was an additional $10.) 

James and I have a family plan at Sprint now (He has the Evo, I have the Hero).  We both have the same plan I had at AT&T and some extras... like TV and whatnot.  Together we spend $125.  A dollar more for two plans vs the one iPhone plan at AT&T.

And the phones themselves are cheaper.  AND if you want, I can tell you why the Evo is better than the iPhone if you'd like.  Anyone who buys the iPhone is only doing so because 1.) They like shiny apples  or  2) They are locked into their AT&T contract.
    I like dogs, but not to eat
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_droid-vs-blackberry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08955b3-2708-4884-b7ff-dca4ed81b206Post:ad273d02-8b51-4627-8a40-0fd02f839d86">Re: Droid vs Blackberry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Droid vs Blackberry : they all have a $30 data plan. so how is that cheaper?????? oh yea, it's not. we have two bb's, one on BES the other on BIS, and pay $140 a month (which we actually now can reduce by $15). a iphone would be exactly the same price which is cheaper than vzw apparently so i'm still trying to understand how a iphone is more expensive than a bb or an android. it seems cheaper actually as long as it's not on vzw. 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

I didn't see this before my last post.  You have a serious attitude problem here for no reason at all.  Get the stick out of your tush.  Nobody's asking you to pay for this.  However, based on all the intricacies in our life, the total cost of cell phones for us if one is an iphone vs something on verizon yields a net bill that's at least $30/month higher.  I don't feel the need to provide you with proof, since it DOESN'T AFFECT YOU AT ALL.  I wasn't asking you to do math.  I was asking for opinions on Android vs Blackberry. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    I have a HTC phone which runs the Andriod OS and I love it. FI has a blackberry and would not give it up, but he also uses it primarily for work.  I use my phone for work as well but also fun.  I say go for the droid, you'll like it.

• Options
    I'm going to be the minority, but I switched from Verizon to AT&T and got the iPhone and I love it. Both my FI and I are on the plan, unlimited data and text and I think 700 minutes a month with rollover, it's about $30 less than Verizon was.

I get service everywhere and 3G, I've never had dropped calls and I really just love the iPhone. But like I said, I think I may be in the minority. A few friends have the Droid and I've played around with it, just wasn't a big fan of the click screen. I think I'm just too used to the iPhone.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I've had the Motorola Droid since January and I absolutely love it.  I like that it has the slide-out qwerty keyboard, because I don't do very well with the touch screen keyboards.

Also, the screen is huge (as far as cell phone screens go)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've got the new Blackberry Curve with a flat cursor, and I like it a lot. J has a Palm Pre', which is Sprint's version of an iPhone and he loves it.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Headed to lunch at the Verizon store! 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    I've got the BB Tour from Verizon and I love my phone. I use it primarily for work, and I love the way the email interface is soo smooth and easy. My FI has a Driod and he loves it, but he uses it mostly for fun and personal use. I know that I will never go back from having a BB. I used to have the iPhone and I absolutley hated it. I agree with KellyLovesJames, the reason people get an iPhone is because they like to have a shiny Apple product....
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Well, the Droid I want is on back order till late July, but I'll have a new phone in a month.  And I really hope I like it!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    I know I am really late to this, but I have a motorola droid and I absolutely love it!  FI has one too and he talks about how much more he likes the droid than his old BB.  I haven't heard anyone that wasn't happy with their droid, I think you made a great choice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_droid-vs-blackberry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08955b3-2708-4884-b7ff-dca4ed81b206Post:a63f8767-542e-4497-91ce-f87a12b4bd74">Re: Droid vs Blackberry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, the Droid I want is on back order till late July, but I'll have a new phone in a month.  And I really hope I like it!
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Which one are you getting?
    imageimage
  • Options
    The "Incredible" or whatever.  The newest one that Verizon carries.  I think it's made by HTC.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards