Outdoor Weddings

Why temperature matters as much as rain at an outdoor wedding.

This is a C&P from the E board.  I am pretty sure the OP won't mind me doing this.  This is a review of a disastrous outdoor wedding.

I posted a week ago about a wedding I was invited to that I didn't have the address for (you can read it here: http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-it-be-rude-to-back-out-on-a-wedding-a-week-before-as-a-guest)

Several people asked for an update, so here it is:

The bride and groom got back to me and told me to park at the cabins and take their bus in. So my friend and I did just that. Only problem was that the bus seated about 20 people and there must have been 50 people there. The bus told everyone else to just follow behind. I heard the bride's family wasn't happy about having that many people park outside their house, but whatever.

The rest of the wedding was a disaster. For starters, it was a high of 45 degrees (lower after the sun set) and there were no heaters or anything (outdoor wedding). Also, there weren't enough tables for everyone to all eat at the same time and a lot of people didn't realize that they were supposed to eat in shifts, so about half the people either didn't eat or had to stand to eat. Most of the people wanted to go home right after the ceremony (when the sun set), but the busses were gone at that point, so there were a lot of unhappy, cold people who were standed until one in the morning til the busses got there. It was so cold I thought I was going to die. Someone eventually lit a fire in a fire pit  across the field and everyone huddled around it, while the bridal party made speeches to an empty crowd. Eventually the busses came and everyone went back. It was pretty awful.

So lesson to all brides: don't plan an outdoor wedding when it's so cold! When I got on the bus to go home, it was 32 degrees outside. Also, have enough tables for everyone.

What a rude couple!  Have a plan B for temperature as well as rain!  I would have never stayed to the end for this wedding if I had my car with me.

Re: Why temperature matters as much as rain at an outdoor wedding.

• i woulda walked down to the car and not wait,
  • We are planning a wedding in April outside I want to reserve the church just in case the weather turns cold and bad. I suggested to tent to set up with coffee and Hot Coca for guest to warm up with before the ceremony begins. In the invititions also want to put in to dress warm and comfortable. I feel I will have to get the point across before Iam able to do it. What does anyone think about the ideals?
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    I think if people need to dress warm and drink cocoa and coffee to stay warm it is too cold to be doing an outside wedding or reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards