Canada

Passport Help!

Canadians! Do you know if your passport still has to be valid for 6 months after you depart the US if you travel there? (6 month validity rule)

Situation:
FIL's want us to go see them and FBIL/FSIL/nephews at their new house in Palm Springs in April. My passport expires in August.
I don't want to renew if I don't have to until AFTER our wedding (June) because I'm changing my name (taking FI's last name)

Please help.

Re: Passport Help!

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it could be an issue, if they want it to be - I wouldn't risk it.
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They're picky sometimes.  I travel across the Canada/US border (St. Stephen, NB to Calias, ME) once a month or so (sometimes several times a month).  I've never had a problem about my expiry date BUT they could choose to make it an issue.  You might want to renew early just to be safe.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I've not heard of anybody actually being denied. I live in a border city, (Windsor, ON) and in fact, my brother went to Detroit and back for a hockey game without realizing his passport had expired! Nobody said anything.

On the other hand, why risk it? I had to renew mine last fall, and asked while I was there if I'll have to pay again for a new one when I get married. She advised me that I don't have to change the name on my passport as long as I use my maiden name when booking flights.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:46Discussion:37b0f332-d426-4d2d-9984-fdb14fdd64c4Post:256ae030-d3ed-4cb8-8775-4fcceb22ff19">Re: Passport Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've not heard of anybody actually being denied. I live in a border city, (Windsor, ON) and in fact, my brother went to Detroit and back for a hockey game without realizing his passport had expired! Nobody said anything. On the other hand, why risk it? I had to renew mine last fall, and asked while I was there if I'll have to pay again for a new one when I get married. <strong>She advised me that I don't have to change the name on my passport as long as I use my maiden name when booking flights.
    </strong>Posted by LidleD[/QUOTE]

I heard this too.
    Part of me just doesn't want to go to Palm Springs because it's so much $ and we're getting married 2 months later. Just didn't make sense to change it before the wedding.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only assumed my husband's last name, so I just use my maiden name when booking things, until my passport is up for renewal (in another few years), and then I'll change it.
  • 9doors9doors member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as you use your maiden name you're safe. I travel to the US a fair amount and have never had a problem unless I have Aussies in the car with me!

On a similar note, anyone know what to do about changing your name on your passport (mine is valid until Feb 2012) if you're living in the US? I'll be moving there in May after we're married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ariestolariestol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, you'll be fine (assuming they don't think you're trying to move there illegally...)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards