Rhode Island

Looking for a great Photographer, but not overly priced.....

I have looked and looked for reasonable photographers and really don't really know what I am looking for.

First question I am asking is, what do I look for when looking for photographers? I have looked all a lot of photographers and they are all starting to look the same to me.

Anyone have any great photographers at a resonable price for suggestions?

Thanks. :)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Looking for a great Photographer, but not overly priced.....

• edited December 2011
    Yes!

My fiance and I had our engagement photos  done by MemoriesRI - Chris and Amanda Beck. Their packages are reasonable (3 to choose from) and you get full rights to the photos.

More importantly, the pictures came out great and they were fun to work with.

We were so happy with them, we showed our other engaged friends our engagement photos, and they also booked them for their upcoming wedding!

http://www.memoriesri.com/index.html

They are also on facebook.

Good luck!
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge - Ceremony Location imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you very much! :)
  • KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Can you share what you think is reasonable? I know it differs for everyone, and that might help with suggestions.

There's one I like a lot right now and would have gone with her for our wedding but she was just starting out when we were booking and I was too scared to take a chance! But I've been following her on FB and she's really gotten very good.

http://mollyannesphotos.net/

As for what to look for, I had been keeping track of reccs from this board and I looked at blogs and Web site to find a style I liked. Some photogs do more traditional  shots and lots of posed stuff. Some do artsy stuff. Others are more photojournalistic and capture the day sort of as it happens in a more unobtrusive way. When I found several I liked, I contacted them about cost and availability.

After I had found several in our price range and had our date available, I ran them by Bryan with no info about cost or packages or which ones I liked so as not to influence him, and he ranked them in his order of preference. We met with our mutual favorites and looked at albums and gauged their personality and whether it was a good fit for us.

I also took apart each one's package and broke it down on an Excel spreadsheet so we were really comparing apples to apples about what each offered for the price and this was really helpful to me.

Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    That is great info KB. We are trying to stay in the 3000 range but the lower the better. Thank you very much for the great info. Smile
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Important things to consider besides the style of photography is also hours of coverage and what you want included in your package like engagement/first look sessions and albums or prints. I would definitely make sure that the package includes the rights to reprint pictures and that post-processing (edits) are done on ALL the pictures.

My photographers, Visual-Obsession fit our style, which is more edgy and editorial (see their Night Escapade sessions) but it was the chemistry that made us book them. Make sure you not only click with their photos but with them too! I can't stress enough how important photography is - after all when your wedding is over, the only thing left are your visual memories.

Some other note worthy photographers in the 3 grand range and below include Avenna Studios, Shang Chen,  Tyra Bleek and Kelly Dillion Photography. I am also in LOVE with Binary Flips photography, just not sure of their price range.

Above 3 grand - Visual-Obsession, Lisa Rigby, Jennifer Leatherwood, Kristen Spencer and RAW Photo Design (you will definitely notice their distinctive styles)

My FI, who is not easily impressed found that he crossed off potential photographers when their pictures looked non-professional as in little or no post processing or they looked very ordinary/boring shots (no creative angles or good use of natural light). He felt that if he could easily capture those pics with his DSLR, why would he hire someone and pay thousands to do it when he could have a friend. So some are not worth their weight in gold while others are worth every penny!

• edited December 2011
    My husband and I got married about a month ago and love love love our wedding photos.  I would suggest looking into Gabrielle Marks Photography.  It is a husband and wife team and they do an amazing job.  
  • edited December 2011
    Mark turek and Anne Harrigan, the photographers for trinity did our wedding.  Here is a link to the photos they took of our wedding. 
    http://www.markturekphotography.com/Weddings/Annie/13538590_Fhiu8#988633383_KgXVQ
    They were great, so nice and easy to work with, they got the shots I asked for, they gave me a disk of the photos, and were very reasonably priced.  I couldn't have been happier with them. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_looking-great-photographer-but-not-overly-priced?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:fa4f297c-4562-48ea-998c-e3e5d29081daPost:20440ca7-3502-4348-bf2e-ca2ab1930da7">Re: Looking for a great Photographer, but not overly priced.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is great info KB. We are trying to stay in the 3000 range but the lower the better. Thank you very much for the great info.
    Posted by bells24412[/QUOTE]

Oh! Mine's only $1800 for the middle package...here's my pics too:

<a href="http://www.daveandjess2011.com" rel='nofollow'>www.daveandjess2011.com</a>

Do you know what you want/need and what you don't wnt/need?
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge - Ceremony Location imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • KDouthKDouth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm a photographer based out of Massachusetts. Feel free to take a look at my website: http://obrienphoto.net. If you're interested, I can send you our package information.

Good luck with the search!

Kate

• edited December 2011
    What about Justin & Mary? They're really good, but they book quickly.
    I've Got the Wedding Bell Blues
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ^ Justin and Mary from Ct I assume? They are well over the 4 grand mark. Extraordinary photos but on the pricey side too.
  • edited December 2011
    I suggest http://www.gspstudios.com/.. Greg is great to work with. He just did my engagment shots and they came out amazing... His pricing is very reasonable as well. I believe that his day of even services are blt into the package so you don;t get wacked w. an additional charge.... Good Luck! Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    Mandy Mayberry is the best and the least expensive for great quality that I've seen out there.  We booked her for our June wedding and have done a free engagement session with her and everyone loves our pics!  Google her, she's awesome..it's under $2000 for the whole wedding day plus lots of engagement pics too!  She's awesome!
  • jennieb6387jennieb6387 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try coleen and ashley at love life lens
  • edited December 2011
    Try Eddy and Linda from stack9design. www.stack9design.com They did my TTD photos and they came out amazing! I am also using them for my pregnancy photos after the holidays. GL!

~erin~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards