Hawaii

Hmmm, registry dilemma

I was approached by a friend who wants to throw me a bridal shower, which I think is a lovely idea and so sweet of her. My problem is that we haven't sorted out our registry yet. We're getting in married on Maui, I'm in Seattle and I'll be moving to the UK after the wedding to be with my FI, so we don't want to have to take a whole lot of "stuff" with me when I move over. A big part of most showers I've been to has been opening presents, so I don't know what to do!  We certainly can't register for electronics, but I can't imagine moving a bunch of kitchen stuff over either.  Any ideas/advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hmmm, registry dilemma

• edited December 2011
    Let her know that you won't be able to take physical objects with you. She should get the hint and tell the guests that presents wouldn't really work for you. Gift cards to UK stores, cash or just well wishes would be appreciated.
  • sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Along with Alyson's idea, what about people printing out a picture of the gift they would give you along with the cash/gift certs.  Something to open up, like you're getting presents, but you'll buy it when you're over there.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Alyson!  Alternatively, you could do a theme like "wine" or "lingerie" so that anything is either consumable, or packs up teeny tiny.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL is also throwing me a bridal shower in May and has been pressuring us to set up a registry.  I simply don't want any house stuff, as we have lived together for 3 years, so I bought up the idea of gift certificates at the resort we are honeymooning at and that went over well.  I want to get a massage every darn day we are on our HM, so I hope the guests go with it!  :)

Otherwise, go for a 'personal shower', where they get you little things like lingerie, etc. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards