Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

HOW MANY TRAYS OF FOOD FOR 105 PEOPLE?

I am having my wedding catered (Buffet Style for 105 people, including children).  The caterer says each full tray of food will feed 12-15 people.  We are having chicken, beef, eggplant parm, roasted potatoes, a pasta, and bread.  How many trays total will I need of each?  Do I calculate per item or just an overall average of all the food?  (We are also doing appetizers during cocktail hour and a first course of a Cesar salad).  I know some people will take a little bit of everything, and some won't. 

Re: HOW MANY TRAYS OF FOOD FOR 105 PEOPLE?

• Sorry, but your post doesn't make any sense to me. If you have a caterer, they should be able to provide you with the number of trays you are going to need. If you have 105 people, plan on all 105 people having a full serving of each item. There are few things I would not taste at a wedding (brussel sprouts, cauliflower), but I'd have a serving of just about everything else.
  • I am really, really curious about why your caterer couldn't tell you how many you'd need total; that's sort of their job. 

I'd ask the caterer how many trays of each item will provide a serving for each guest.  Servings at a buffet are usually slightly smaller than the serving would be at a plated meal to account for people being able to try a bit of everything.   
  • I would have AT LEAST enough of each item for each person.   Sure not everyone takes every item, but there is always at least one 'hit'  where people take 3 and 4 helpings.  

You do not want someone saying "the beef was great wasn't?".  

Other guest  "I don't know they were out before I got a chance to hit the buffet"

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards