Registry and Gift Forum

Wood VS. Silicone kitchen utensils

I love the look of the wood utensils. Would look great with my kitchen. But I also want something that will last me a long time and is safe to use around food. Any one had experience with wood utensils?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wood VS. Silicone kitchen utensils

• egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I personally dislike wood utensils because they need to be hand washed.  I have mainly silicone, with a few metal and wood depending on the item.  For example, sometimes you have to use a wooden spoon, and I hate silicone tongs for anything besides tossing a salad, so I have metal tongs.  
  • I have a good mix of utensils myself and prefer the wood (I love my bamboo set) for certain things, like when using a non stick pan or keeping in the pasta water so it doesn't boil over. Other times I use silicon or nylon for rest of hte jobs with a non-stick pan  and metal stuff for the grill and metal pans. It's a personal preference, but I would want a good variety of both.

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I also use non-stick pans and I heard the nylon OXO spoons work great with those

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have an Oxo wooden spoon that I like, but I mainly use silicone--we have some spoons/spatulas from WS.  We also have amazing silicone tongs that are great for stir frys.
  • I would get a mix of the two.  I have some great bamboo spoons and spatulas that work well, but silicone is always safest on nonstick pans.  I actually have a few scrapers that have a wooden handle that drive me crazy because they feel very "unfinished" after washing, so I just don't really like handling them.
  • I have a good mix of utensils (bamboo, nylon, silicon, metal) -- definitely consider bamboo over wood though.  Not only is it a sustainable material, but it's also safe to put in the dish washer -- most wooden untensils will harbor bacteria.
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wood-vs-silicone-kitchen-utensils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:4691d813-5a4f-41c7-8b6f-72bb56c7d505Post:84127a4e-c5da-4a21-bc78-ff384f4508a1">Re: Wood VS. Silicone kitchen utensils</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a good mix of utensils (bamboo, nylon, silicon, metal) -- definitely consider bamboo over wood though.  <strong>Not only is it a sustainable material, but it's also safe to put in the dish washer -- most wooden untensils will harbor bacteria.
    </strong>Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Good to know
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards