Connecticut

How the Best of the Knot works

I have to say many of the vendors on there are the Best, but the decisions are made based on brides taking a poll after their wedding and rating the service and quality or their vendors, so while it is not a professional opinion it is still an honor. Yes,The Knot charges for vendors to be featured at the top of their pages and anyone can do that but the benefit is people can see them without signing in to the website. Problem is many of the best vendors don't do a lot of advertising because they are good and word of mouth is enough to keep their schedules full. The brides write in and vote for their favorite vendors after the wedding. It is an honor, but if the group of brides you work for that year aren't signed up with The Knot then some of the best professionally/techinically out there might not be considered. Also I know for a fact that vendors call, email their brides to remind them and that can help also. Mostly I have seen the best vendors win but sometimes I'm scratching my head for sure. I know one vendor that got it and was mad because they were listed with a bunch of what they thought where bad choices  (and I agreed) and didn't want the association, so go figure LOL also if a vendor does a high volume of weddings, (you know the quantity not quality type), then they often make the list because they have a large number of brides mentioning they used them. So it is a good list if vendors are on their they are definately reputable but you will have to decide for yourself if they are the best for your wedding!  You may want to check with the gals on the NEST to see exactly when they got the email so you can watch for it after your wedding.

Re: How the Best of the Knot works

• edited December 2011
    I am not really sure the above is accurate. Sounds like theknot does not run the surveying--it is outsourced. I think 25,000 brides in 40 cities is NOT really adequate coverage considering the number of people getting married daily!

The Knot Best of Weddings is a coast-to-coast guide to the country's top florists, venues, photographers, cakes, and everything in between as rated by real brides. Introduced in 2007, the annual issue provides a by-brides, for-brides guide to the top vendors in over 40 key US cities. Based on a groundbreaking nationwide survey of 25,000 recent brides and grooms (administered by Harris Interactive) where newlyweds were asked to rate their vendors on multiple criteria, all reviews stem from creativity to professionalism to real experiences. The resulting ratings and detailed feedback were aggregated by the editors of The Knot to create this one-of-a-kind publication highlighting the best wedding resources in each region according to local brides.
  • edited December 2011
    No it is correct, a few months after your wedding you will get an email from the Knot asking you to list your vendors, their contact info and asking you to rate them and leave any comments you have regarding them. This is an excellent way for the Knot to be able to contact new vendors and see if they want to advertise, it provides the most loved vendors with an award to show for their good efforts. If you don't get on it's possible you deleted it because you think it's just more stuff from the The Knot that you don't need anymore because your wedding is over which is why some vendors send out notices to urge brides that they know where happy with their services to vote. Someone else might run the polling for them, but it is basically from the Knot.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow Alina & really lost a lot of weight KUDOS!!! Wish I could do that!
  • edited December 2011
    So Alina, you already got married, where you surveyed for this?  We still have a lot of ladies that stick around on this board after they get married, and so far none of them have said they received a survey.  I still find that strange and inadequate to give people an accurate representation of the 'best' vendors.  So, basically we're saying that that list means nothing and it just happens to be determined by which few random brides happen to respond to a survey rather than any other qualifying qualities.  I live on the Danbury line, and several Danbury vendors were listed... none of which had I actually heard of mentioned by anyone anywhere (on the knot or otherwise).  Advertising or not, you'd think good reputation would make them at least somewhat known if they've made the list of the Best.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
     I just looked at the new list. I have the magazine from last year and used it as a guide and there where some excellent cake people and photographers on there that I'm in love with and planning to  use but this year it seems way off from the research I've done so far. The photographer I met with last night is not on The Knot even from what I can see, but got it last year.  There seems to be like a completely different group of vendors on there this year.  
  • edited December 2011
    I did get a survey, but it was too long and wanted a lot of info that I didn't really have the time to deal with. I was about 6 -8 months after,  I think and at the time I was sort of over the planning. I got married two years ago come May. I put my vendor recs on here and that was enough I feel, everyone was wonderful.  Posted this below also but it's sort of got buried.
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    From what I know actual Brides/Knotties vote after their wedding date. I do believe a survey of questions is sent out along a specific time period for accuracy purposes.

I have never heard anything about vendors paying to be put on--wouldn't that defeat the purpose!? I am glad we have our own list too, at least we know who has used who personally as well as be able to jump over to different area boards to ask their opinions on vendors in their areas! Both have worked out great for me!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i never got a survey, i definitely would have filled it out.  booo :(
  • edited December 2011
    I never got a survery either!  I would have filled it out.  I had some awesome vendors that I don't see listed.  But I was happy to see Classic Brides by Eva on there.  She was amazing to work with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards