North Carolina-Outer Banks

Day of Coordinator?

I am getting married at "the dream" event home in June 2013. Do any of you recommend hiring a coordinator for the day of? I would like to cut costs wherever I can, but just wondering if this would make my life that much easier on that day? Can anyone recommend someone, and how much do they charge?? Thanks!!

Re: Day of Coordinator?

• When my daughter was married this summer at an event home, Grande Ritz Palm, and we had a day of coordinator. We hired Laura Sorenson with Sugar Snap Events. She was amazing!!! The best investment we made!! It totally took the stress off my daughter and myself. Laura takes charge, tells everyone what to do, where they need to be, handles coordinating the vendors when they arrive! She kept the wedding and ceremony organized and flowing. There was no stress on my husband, my self nor my daughter and son-in-law. Laura arrived before the first vendor and stayed until the last vendor left. She is extremely organized! Laura will work with you regarding costs and how much of her services you want. She is very prompt at communicating with you. When we look back on wedding day there was no way we could have handled everything on our own. It allowed for us to "be in the moment" and enjoy the celebration!
  • I 100% would recommend Gena Martin with Platinum Party Planning.  I was also very hestitant to hire a day of coordinator, because I was also trying to watch my money, and it seemed a lot of money to pay someone for just the day.  That said, Gena's rates were very competative, and she was literally worth every penny.  She was completely unobtrusive, but everytime I thought of something, or started asking her a question, she cut me off and said, "I've already taken care of it!  She was absolutely AMAZING and by far our best vendor and best money spent.  She and her team made everything flow on time, she oversaw all of our vendors, and they even had my veil, bouquet and take out boxes with our cake waiting for us in our hotel room, which they covered in rose petals.  Don't even think about it - just call her!
  • I think they are VERY expensive, and it's money that could be better spent somewhere else. That being said, if you chose not to have a coordinator, you will want to assign someone to handle those responsibilities for you during the day of your event. It depends on how much time you have to plan your wedding as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:509a3b60-50f4-4410-9c7f-a580f168c86fPost:80f5cf09-e00f-44ca-b992-7f4323284653">Re: Day of Coordinator?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When my daughter was married this summer at an event home, Grande Ritz Palm, and we had a day of coordinator. We hired Laura Sorenson with Sugar Snap Events. She was amazing!!! The best investment we made!! It totally took the stress off my daughter and myself. Laura takes charge, tells everyone what to do, where they need to be, handles coordinating the vendors when they arrive! She kept the wedding and ceremony organized and flowing. There was no stress on my husband, my self nor my daughter and son-in-law. Laura arrived before the first vendor and stayed until the last vendor left. She is extremely organized! Laura will work with you regarding costs and how much of her services you want. She is very prompt at communicating with you. When we look back on wedding day there was no way we could have handled everything on our own. It allowed for us to "be in the moment" and enjoy the celebration!
    Posted by seashells12[/QUOTE]
  • Thanks so much for the info! If you don't mind me asling, how much did you pay?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:509a3b60-50f4-4410-9c7f-a580f168c86fPost:1c5f1bbb-e253-4412-803b-486a2255cd71">Re: Day of Coordinator?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I 100% would recommend Gena Martin with Platinum Party Planning.  I was also very hestitant to hire a day of coordinator, because I was also trying to watch my money, and it seemed a lot of money to pay someone for just the day.  That said, Gena's rates were very competative, and she was literally worth every penny.  She was completely unobtrusive, but everytime I thought of something, or started asking her a question, she cut me off and said, "I've already taken care of it!  She was absolutely AMAZING and by far our best vendor and best money spent.  She and her team made everything flow on time, she oversaw all of our vendors, and they even had my veil, bouquet and take out boxes with our cake waiting for us in our hotel room, which they covered in rose petals.  Don't even think about it - just call her!
    Posted by eeforbes[/QUOTE]
  • For Laura from Sugar Snap Events, we paid $2950. For my daughter's wedding, the services we requested included:
    -Vendor Suggestions
    -10 hours of Consultation via phone or email. Plus, Laura did a walk thru planning session with us of the event home.
    -Timeline Creation of the event. This is also shared with all the vendors. We found this to be very useful!
    -Coordination and assistance with vendors.
    -Ceremony Diagram Creation
    -Rehearsal (1 hour)
    -Setup & Breakdown
    -Be on site the day of the event to supervise and coordinate all elements and vendors. Laura also had an assistant on the day of.
    Make sure all vendors arrive and setup as specified per their agreements with client.  Assist with ceremony direction- cuing wedding party and vendors as needed. 
     Assist with reception- cuing wedding party and vendors as needed.  Handle any last details that arise.

The contract was signed in March 2011 for the wedding on 6/24/12. So the fees may be different being that was a year and a half ago rates. Laura is very willing to work with clients as to the services they want and need. So the contract can be very individualized to meet each wedding's unique needs.

If the wedding is at an event home and depending on the size of the wedding, we had 96 guest, I feel the cost of the coordinator is money very well spent! Looking back on the day, we honestly feel there is no way we could have handled everything ourselves! We were completely stress free! We were relaxed getting ready and could just be in the moment! We enjoyed the reception and did not have to worry about when to do whatever (garter/bouquet toss, cake/cupcake cutting, toasts, etc), Laura handled all that coordination! 
     We did not want to burden our guests (relative and/or friend) with a request to help us because they are GUESTS. Our guests took off from work, had travel expenses, and we felt it wasn't appropriate to then ask someone to help coordinate the day. (Ok..there is my two cents/rant about asking guests to help).

Now, if a wedding is at a venue such as the Sanderling, Jeannette's Pier, 108 Budleigh, those settings may already have a day of coordinator and maybe one would not need a coordinator.

Really what the bottom line comes down to is...what is your budget and what items are important for you to have. If you are undecided about a coordinator, at least talk to a coordinator to find out if one fits your needs.

Hope the advice helps! Smile
  • There is no day-of coordinator at 108 Budleigh.
    image June 22, 2012
  • I used Laura from Sugar Snaps. I got a great deal on the day of coordination because I booked her at the Wedding expo and I was already using them for my flowers. But i got the day of coordination for half price! So it was $400. And she came to the wedding rehearsal and basically was a life saver!  She is great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards