Snarky Brides

WWYD? (house related)

We want to paint our kitchen (rather, have our kitchen painted, because fuuck that shiit). The problem? It's attached to our dining area and living room. The wall is connected on the one side, with no good doorway or place to transition the paint. And we don't want to paint the LR, at least not the same color. So here's the wall (it's the sliding door side, and the second picture is starting shortly after the sliding doors):

So, our painter said we could do a couple things. He could tape a line down right at the edge or middle of the sliding door, so the line is really only right above the door and there is less of an obvious line, or he could do that whole wall, which would leave two LR walls the color they are now (beige), and have the one wall match the kitchen.

Which would you choose? Or do you have a different idea?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: WWYD? (house related)

• Could you have him paint to the edge of the sliding door and see if you like it? Then if you don't, have him go ahead and paint the rest of the one wall into the living room?
  • I would not do a line in the middle of the door, I think that would look strange.

I like LP's idea, though!  I think a transition at the edge of the door could work.  Are we talking drastically different colors here?
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-house-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1488580c-2c77-4920-b597-3b3f94d6e7b9Post:e41ba813-af0f-4fcc-be03-7e99b43a6dbc">Re: WWYD? (house related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could you have him paint to the edge of the sliding door and see if you like it? Then if you don't, have him go ahead and paint the rest of the one wall into the living room?
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

Well, we could, but it would cost more to have it taped and wait until it's mostly dry and then untaped to see. 

• Pretty different.  The LR walls are beige and the kitchen will be a medium brownish color.  We don't have the exact color picked up, but we're matching it to one of the colors in the backsplash.  And I worry that the two beige walls in the LR will look weird with that big, long full wall being dark.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-house-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1488580c-2c77-4920-b597-3b3f94d6e7b9Post:70445a1c-4823-488e-b2f0-8f00b5ee8b5f">Re: WWYD? (house related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]WALLPAPER!  With butterflies and giant flowers on it!  Oh even better, milkmaids, cows, and butter churns.  That's my idea. Just kidding.   My parents have a similar layout between their kitchen/dining room and living room. They stopped the paint where the flooring changed from wood to carpeting.  In your case it looks like this change is almost in line with your sliders.  I'd probably end the kitchen/dining room paint at the right edge of the sliders to keep it in line with the door molding.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

Yeah,t he flooring switch is about a foot to the right of the doors. 

• LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-house-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1488580c-2c77-4920-b597-3b3f94d6e7b9Post:f5ac735d-faf8-4240-92b8-32799466af96">Re: WWYD? (house related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WWYD? (house related) : Well, we could, but it would cost more to have it taped and wait until it's mostly dry and then untaped to see. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm.  If I were you then, I would probably have him paint to the edge of the sliding door.  Then if I decided I didn't like it later, I would just paint the living room myself, since it looks like there's just the window to worry about taping over and it should be a fairly easy paint job in theory.  </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: well, and any outlets that are on that wall too.  I didn't think about that.</div>
  • What if you did your two longer walls in one color and the two short, end walls in another color (complementary of course), so you still get that continual open floorplan concept, but where the carpet starts/living room starts, place a couch/loveseat/long table to separate the rooms. Let me see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about.
  • I think the edge of the door would be best. I wouldn't leave the entire wall beige, because it looks like there wouldn't be much paint showing on the other two walls of brown, so it wouldn't be as much of a statement. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-house-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1488580c-2c77-4920-b597-3b3f94d6e7b9Post:37096f13-2f54-4ae0-93b1-e4b59e8beed2">Re: WWYD? (house related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pretty different.  The LR walls are beige and the kitchen will be a medium brownish color.  We don't have the exact color picked up, but we're matching it to one of the colors in the backsplash.  And I worry that the two beige walls in the LR will look weird with that big, long full wall being dark.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I think because that wall has a lot of windows that you could get away with having that whole wall be brown if that color of brown works in the living room. That's probably what I would do, just because I think it would look better than having one wall split in color.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-house-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1488580c-2c77-4920-b597-3b3f94d6e7b9Post:f241bf64-dbd1-4c8c-85f7-a98625a5ab17">Re: WWYD? (house related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the edge of the door would be best. I wouldn't leave the entire wall beige, because it looks like there wouldn't be much paint showing on the other two walls of brown, so it wouldn't be as much of a statement. 
    Posted by KateJ10[/QUOTE]

We wouldn't leave the whole wall beige.  If it was all one color, it would be the brown.

Mara, I think I get what you're saying.  That's a good idea too!

Ok, I have to go back to work, guys, but I'll be back to check later this afternoon.  Thanks for the ideas so far!

• This picture doesn't have any accent walls, but I was thinking something like this, where the room is one color, but with that couch it clearly separates the two areas.

The posters on the D&R board on TN are good with this stuff too.
  • Could you maybe install a shelf the width of the sliding glass door above the door and then have him paint to the edge of the door (either edge, it doesn't really matter I don't think).  I say add a shelf because when a few things are on it, you won't really notice the paint line.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My parents have their kitchen and family room painted two different bold colors with only a sliding glass door in between. They did what your painter suggested and it looks awesome.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kind of like this (close up--> this)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Our LR and kitchen share a few walls. One wall is white. The wall opposite that (and the entire kitchen) is yellow.  The half wall between the two rooms is white. I'd take a picture, but H is replacing the thermostat and has a bunch of wires hanging out.

My vote is for the entire wall to be brown.
  • I like the idea of some type of molding to ease the transition...or painting the long wall with the door one accent color.
    Anniversary
  • edited March 2012
    Maybe just paint the one wall in the kitchen?  Like an accent wall kind of deal.  I dunno.  I suck at these things.  I really just wanted to say that I like your house J and I'm TOTES JEALS.
    panther
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Personally, I would paint the whole wall brown. It will keep the open floor plan feel and with that big window it doesn't look like there will be a lot of the darker brown in that space anyways. I think that it would look alright if you painted just to the edge of the door, it's just going to visually break up the space and the two rooms will look like 2 different spaces as opposed to one cohesive open floor plan. 

• Our house has one wall like this.  The kitchen is green and the living room is beige-ish.  The transition happens by a door, like yours, and the flooring extends a little more than the door, like yours.

The solution that the previous owners did was to paint up until the right edge of the door frame (so the right side of your sliding doors in the first pic) and run a verticle piece of trim from the top of the door to the ceiling, matching but a little smaller than the molding around the door, to cover the paint line.

It works well in our house because all of the trim is bright white, and we have heavy crown and other moldings around the whole downstairs.  If I can find a pic I'll post it, otherwise I can post one when I get home tonight if you're interested in a visual. 
  • edited March 2012
    J&K, our house is the exact same way! What we decided was to have the long wall (with the sliding glass door) all one color. Ours is a beige color. Then in the living room, we painted the remaing three walls a completely different color. I don't like the idea of making the long wall two different colors. To me, I think it would look odd, so that's what we chose to do.

EDIT: We're in the process of installing new wood floors on the entire first floor, so the flooring is the same in the kitchen & living room. So, I figured with the same flooring, we should do the same color, since there really isn't a clear dividing line. So, that played into our decision.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I don't like the idea of having a line at the edge or center of the sliding door. I think it would always look off somehow.

I think If you absolutely have to paint, then just do the whole wall. My other suggestion would be, instead of painting, switch out the backsplash in your kitchen to a bold color. It will give the kitchen area it's own distinct color, while maintaining visual continuity (that makes sense, right?).
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards