Chit Chat

Teacher inviting Students

Does anyone have a cute poem for a student friendly invitation?  I'm inviting my 4th graders to the ceremony and would like a creative way to word the invite. 

I know this can be a touchy topic, but my principal supports the idea as I have been at the school for 8 years, and the students are "my kids".  I cannot imagine not having them there as they are such a major part of my life and have gotten to know my fiance as he has been to our classroom many times.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be very grateful!  Thank you!!

Re: Teacher inviting Students

• I don't have any cute ideas. You may be able to find some on Google. 

I personally would just send the entire family (your students and their folks) one, regular invitation. Obviously the kids cannot get there on their own. 

You do realize how many people that is going to add to your GL right? I mean that could easily add 50-150+ people right there, depending on the parents and how many siblings each kid has. Just wanted to make sure you had thought of that...
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Based on your wording, it sounds like you're only planning on asking them to the ceremony?  If so, that's really rude to exclude them (or any ceremony guest) from the reception.  Plus, as a parent of one of those kids, I would be ticked off if I had to get my child ready, drive him/her to your ceremony and then we weren't invited to the reception.

Something else you could consider is having a celebration with your kids on the last day of school prior to your wedding.  That might be a lot more budget-friendly and easier on the families since they won't have to drive their children anywhere.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    FIrst of all you can't invite people to the ceremony only. That's a tiered wedding and it's rude and tacky.  Second of all as a teacher I think it's inappropriate.  Although your P supports the idea have you checked with the superintendent because it's really him or her  that has to be ok with it, especially if the wedding is in a church and it's a public school.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_teacher-inviting-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d6e392ce-661d-4fc2-ae9d-056de6f61309Post:3fe2b381-b0a1-4d4f-8cf2-9f02e73894ee">Re: Teacher inviting Students</a>:
    [QUOTE]Based on your wording, it sounds like you're only planning on asking them to the ceremony?  If so, that's really rude to exclude them (or any ceremony guest) from the reception.  Plus, as a parent of one of those kids, I would be ticked off if I had to get my child ready, drive him/her to your ceremony and then we weren't invited to the reception. Something else you could consider is having a celebration with your kids on the last day of school prior to your wedding.  That might be a lot more budget-friendly and easier on the families since they won't have to drive their children anywhere.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Agree with all of this!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_teacher-inviting-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d6e392ce-661d-4fc2-ae9d-056de6f61309Post:3fe2b381-b0a1-4d4f-8cf2-9f02e73894ee">Re: Teacher inviting Students</a>:
    [QUOTE]Based on your wording, it sounds like you're only planning on asking them to the ceremony?  If so, that's really rude to exclude them (or any ceremony guest) from the reception.  Plus, as a parent of one of those kids, I would be ticked off if I had to get my child ready, drive him/her to your ceremony and then we weren't invited to the reception. <strong>Something else you could consider is having a celebration with your kids on the last day of school prior to your wedding.  That might be a lot more budget-friendly and easier on the families since they won't have to drive their children anywhere.
    </strong>Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this.

You can't invite them just to the ceremony, and you can't invite just the kids, you'd have to invite parents too. I would be very annoyed if I was one of these parents and I had to take my kid to their teachers wedding, and then not be invited to the reception.
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_teacher-inviting-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d6e392ce-661d-4fc2-ae9d-056de6f61309Post:3fe2b381-b0a1-4d4f-8cf2-9f02e73894ee">Re: Teacher inviting Students</a>:
    [QUOTE]Based on your wording, it sounds like you're only planning on asking them to the ceremony?  If so, that's really rude to exclude them (or any ceremony guest) from the reception.  Plus, as a parent of one of those kids, I would be ticked off if I had to get my child ready, drive him/her to your ceremony and then we weren't invited to the reception. Something else you could consider is having a celebration with your kids on the last day of school prior to your wedding.  That might be a lot more budget-friendly and easier on the families since they won't have to drive their children anywhere.
    I agree with all off this. Especially the last part about the celebration. That seems like the best idea for all people involved (you, children, children's parents, etc.).
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's soo cute! My 4th grade teacher invited the class to her wedding as well. It was a fun experience.
  • I was invited to my 3rd grade teacher's wedding and it was a blast. I totally understand wanting to share this day with your kids. Is there a way to send it out in a class newsletter? 

I was also invited to three youth director's weddings, and to the ceremony only. My feelings were not hurt and no one was offended. It was pretty common, even if it does go against etiquette. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • I remember NOT being invited to my 4th grade teacher's wedding yet there was one girl in the class who not only was invited, but was asked to be a jr. BM.

/random memory sharing

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_teacher-inviting-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d6e392ce-661d-4fc2-ae9d-056de6f61309Post:c825a908-d600-4de4-8e1f-bc9da71badbe">Re: Teacher inviting Students</a>:
    [QUOTE]I remember NOT being invited to my 4th grade teacher's wedding yet there was one girl in the class who not only was invited, but was asked to be a jr. BM. /random memory sharing

Was she a friend of the family?
  • Nope. Our teacher had just moved here when she graduated and we were her first class. This girl was the teacher's pet in our classroom and everyone knew it. ;-)

• Both Hoboken and MrsB have good advice- I ditto them.

It's weird to invite "your kids" to your wedding. If my kid's teacher invited them to a wedding I would side eye that shiit pretty hard, and be kinda weirded out they wanted my kid there.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • At the first wedding I went to, she invited her students to the wedding and not the reception.  After the B+G and WP walked up the aisle, the pastor said something about dismissing her 2nd grade class and they all stood up and walked out. I was right around that age and thought it was the coolest thing! I think it is a really cool way to include your students, and I don't think the parents would be offended at not being invited to the reception. Or  maybe have a room at the church with cupcakes or cookies and punch and do a 15min hang out with your students before you leave.
  • Hi!! I am also a teacher and love the idea of including my students with an invitation to the ceremony. I saw you posted that you were able to find a poem from another bride on here. Would you be willing to pass that on to me as well? Thanks so much in advance for your help! :)
  • @FutureMrsC23.....I see that you are new to these boards.  If you look under the SN of each poster, there is a date.  That date indicates when these posts were written.  This thread was started almost a year and a half ago.  The last time anyone remarked on this thread was in March, 2012.  I doubt that Marykartheiser will be responding to your request.  Your best bet would be to try and send her a PM.  I wouldn't be hopeful, however.  This looks to be about her only post since joining.
  • Hi!! I am also a teacher and love the idea of including my students with an invitation to the ceremony. I saw you posted that you were able to find a poem from another bride on here. Would you be willing to pass that on to me as well? Thanks so much in advance for your help! :)

This thread is over a year old. But since I responded and am still hear the same advice applies. It's not appropriate. See my above post for why.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards