Canada-Alberta
Options

destination wedding? where to start? Help!!;)

Considering a destinaton wedding to Mexico for next November...where to start? any suggestions of travel agents in Calgary that specialize in these things? Any ideas of good places in  the Mayan? I have heard that it is better off to get married in Canada at city hall then just have a pretend ceremony in mexico...is this true?

Re: destination wedding? where to start? Help!!;)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not from Calgary so I can't really recommend any travel agents but I think it's probably a good idea to do some internet research to find resorts which host weddings.  For the most part, destination weddings in Mexico supply everything that you need.  Sometimes people choose to bring a photographer from home with them - if you go this route, find one who does destination weddings and maybe they'll have suggestions of which resorts are good for weddings!  I haven't heard that it's necessary to get married in Alberta first but I know that some people do that just so the marriage license is in English.  Have you been to the Mayan Riveria?  I would ask friends and family for recommendations of resorts.  Check out Trip Advisor - they always have good reviews of resorts on there.

Also check out this link on the knot:
    http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/destination-weddings.aspx
  • Options
    Anadaeus Anadaeus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! I'm also planning a destination wedding in the Mayan in Mexico. We have picked the Azul Sensatori because the Karisma hotel chain is fabulous. Our travel agent is Pam Walker at TierOne Travel on centre St. She's fabulous as she specializes in destination weddings and even got married there herself a couple years ago. Good luck! Jen
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding in Dreams, Tulum, and it was awesome :)
  • Options
    donnanicole77donnanicole77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!!

I'm from Edmonton, and we're having a DW in Dominican Republic in November 2011.  We contacted a travel agency that specializes in destination weddings.  They are pretty big and might have offices in Calgary.  The agency is Uniglobe Geo travel, and the DW section is romantic travel (on the web it's romantictravel.ca).  Our agent has been great about explaining to us how it all works.

And we are getting legally married here in Edm. before we leave (not sure how early yet), just because it will make all the paperwork easier.  Besides the wedding is not about the legality, it's about having family around to witness the ceremony.  So were having a symbolic ceremony in DR, which is gonna save us a little money.

And finally, the Destination Wedding board is great, lots of info.

Hope that helps...happy planning
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    jenna33033jenna33033 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Romantic Planet, My sister in law used them for her wedding and I have an appointment with them next week. I'm experiencing the same "where to start stress" and they really made me feel better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards