Delaware

Delaware castle

I am having a difficult time deciding on a castle for a Demeber 2012 wedding. 

I really want a venue that has a castle-like feel inside and out. I do not want to have have my reception in a tent.

Does anyone know of a castle?

Thank you!

Re: Delaware castle

• wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think there's some tower up around wilmington...not sure where it is myself...other than that i only know of amanor...that does have an almost castle like feel. it's rockwood park's carraige house in Wilmington. i'm getting married there in june.

• EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think there is one right over the line in PA, but i can't remember what's it's called, you can probably google search it...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MrsPnky2BMrsPnky2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if it's a castle but Greystone has a castle feel. Especially driving up the gravel path, the huge ?yard, white stone columns, statues. Very price $5000 or for my 100-150 person wedding - as much as $50 per person just for the venue!!! Then you have to bring your own alcohol and the vendors still charge ~$100 per person! So that's up to $150 per person NOT INCL. alcohol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, there are not many "castles" in DE.  When I think of Castles, I think of Cairnwood (http://www.cairnwood.org/), but that is way, way too far away. 

There are several Manor- type houses, and Mansion type houses, but not any real castles.  There are several mansions over the state line in PA- Penn Ryn, Aldie Mansion, Mansion at Cabrini College, Knowlton Mansion, The Stotesbury Mansion, etc etc.  If you want to know more on these, or you a bigger list, you could ask on the Philadelphia board.  I got many of these names from the Philly Knottie Webpage: http://phillyblog.yolasite.com/

But, there are a couple of places that have mansion type places, especially ones that used to be DuPont locations.  Brantwyn Estate at DuPont Country Club (in DE) is the first one that comes to mind.  If you want to do things yourself, you have Bellevue, but that requires quite a bit of work.

How many guests are you expecting?  What is your budget?  These are the two things that you will need to decide on ASAP- every place has an occupancy limit, but some of these vary from 120 all the way up to 400+.  Deciding on your guest limit will knock out some locations right off the bat.

Many of these places have large minimum deposits (20-35k+).  My ex best friend got married at Knowlton Mansion last year, in August, and they spent over $50,000 on the wedding.  If you know that the reception is supposed to be 40-50% of the budget, that's a chunk of change.  And even if you don't have the number of guests, you still have to pay the minimum- which then often means things like ice sculptures, dessert bars, mashed potato bars, etc.

Have you thought about exploring other options and seeing other locations?  I know many girls who have their heart set on a particular style, yet once they are convinced to see other places (especially in DE, where we are limited and keeping your options open really is in your best interest), they see something totally different and unique and yet they fall in love with it and decide that works perfectly for them. 

All I am saying is keep your options open :)  If you have any questions, please let me know!  Good luck on planning!
  • wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    reading mbr's post reminded me of the brandywine art museum up around kennet square is fairly castle like has an old courtyard & everything. plus it's next to the river.

or u ming want to disregard this suggestion too...it seems that in the 5 years since i've been there, they remodeled the place & it's more modern than hold looking now...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards