Michigan-Detroit

Strangest wedding gift?

After my work shower yesterday afternoon, I'm now finally done with all of my showers!  I'm feeling pretty lucky that I only got a few strange, off-registry gifts.  So I wanted to know - what is the strangest gift you all received?  

Re: Strangest wedding gift?

• edited December 2011
    FI's mom got us a framed cross stitch that says something about how love is like music.  Sweet, but so incredibly ugly.  I have no idea what to do with it since I'm pretty sure she'll notice if it's not up on the wall somewhere. :(

FI's mom also go us cookie cooling racks.  Great, but I didn't register for them because I already have some!  And they're not even from one of the stores where I registered so I'm pretty sure I can't return them.

I also got a quilt from one lady.  It's pretty, as far as quilts go, but I'm not really a quilt person.  Weirdest part is, she said she didn't make it but it wasn't in packaging or anything, which makes me wonder where in the world she got it.  Hopefully it wasn't just something she had around the house...

Finally, my own dear grandmother got me a little package of mini -- yes, miniature as in abnormally small, probably intended to be for children -- kitchen utensils.  WTF grandma?!?
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've only received a couple things that weren't on our registry from FI's Aunt and Uncle. They gave us a really nice ceramic chip and dip dish (that is dark green!) and cow salt and pepper shakers. I guess FI's Mom really liked cows. It was a sweet gift since FI's Mom died when he was a teenager, but they don't exactly go with our kitchen stuff...We'll still use them though.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • edited December 2011

We didn’t get much that wasn’t on our registry.  But there was some stuff.

We received a TON of picture frames.  All very nice but just too many. 

We received a stuffed Boyd’s bear figurine dressed up like a bride from a cousin who really just shouldn’t have spent the money.  And I know Boyd’s is a collectable but I’m just not into dressed stuffed animals hanging around my house.  What am I going to do with that?

And an aunt gave us monogrammed bath towels that do not match our bathroom AT ALL even though we were registered for bathroom towels that do match. 

We also got a wedding time capsule.  It’s not that nice. I don’t think I’ll put the time or effort into it.  Maybe I’ll add that to my sell list?

And….well that’s about all. Our friends and family were very generous and even these gifts were really nice (though a little misguided)! 

• edited December 2011
    A friend of mine got married last year and at her shower she received a faded cookie jar shaped like a clown wrapped in a stained dish towel from one of the grooms aunts.  she's saved it and I suspect it will be making an appearance at my own shower this year.
    Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    my mom's boss gave us potholders that look like a bride and groom...so ugly. 
    and as a joke, my aunt sent us bride and groom trucker hats (along with her real gift).
    planning bio.
    Visit The Knot!imageVisit Detroit.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    295 invited image184 attending image 111 seriously missing out image
    Final Count!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_strangest-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:0ceae906-b3c4-4866-9c44-12a88f022ed9Post:f84d046f-5c27-460a-a005-5b9834b968c7">Re: Strangest wedding gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine got married last year and at her shower she received a faded cookie jar shaped like a clown wrapped in a stained dish towel from one of the grooms aunts.  she's saved it and I suspect it will be making an appearance at my own shower this year.
    Posted by Kelki[/QUOTE]

That's awesome if you do get it- start a new family tradition! Pass the clown!
  • edited December 2011
    I had the same problem as Kristin.  Too many picture frames.

We also got some weird homemade things.  Most of which are super kitchy.  Although, I love love LOVE the quilt my Aunt made us.  It's beautiful, and filled with marriage quotes and phrases. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards