Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Tips from a Photographer to You

Hi! I seen a lot of women worrying about a variety of photography issues here on the site, and as a wedding photographer myself, I thought I might give a few tips to you ladies who don't know what to expect or how to compare photographers.

1. Bright, Sunny days are NOT the best days to shoot.
Many women think that the best days to schedule shoots are on sunny days, but in reality the best days are cloudy. Bright sunshine causes harsh shadow effects that can cause areas of your photos to be too light or too dark. Overcasting gets rid of shadows and creates a flawless, continuous lighting across the image.

2. Don't worry about poses!
If you have checked your photographers portfolio and their posing ideas are good, then that is one less thing for you to worry about. Ask your photographer if they direct poses or only shoot ideas from you. Many photographers have all the posing ideas in their head and can direct you if you don't have any ideas at all.

3. Choose natural light, over flash.
If you have the choice of shooting inside or outside, shoot outside! Natural light creates the sharpest, most professional looking images. If you do shoot indoors, look at your photographer's indoor photo examples. Do they look cheap and "snapshotty"? If so, your photographer may not have good enough quality equipment to do high quality indoor photos, and it would be best to only use them for outdoor shoots. Ask them if they use an "off camera" flash or a speedlight, or do they use the flash that is built onto the camera? Using the built-on flash often creates the cheaper lower quality photos. This may be something to consider.

4. How professional, is professional?
Your photographer should have a contract that you both sign, and they should also give you a receipt, even if it's only a carbon copy. Does the contract include a cancellation policy? Does your photographer have Photoshop skills? What about any education or degrees? These are some options to think about when comparing photographers.

5. You get what you pay for.
Find out why your higher priced photographers are higher priced. Some may think their work is better quality than it really is. Research their equipment, ask what camera they use, etc. Really compare. If photographer A charges $500 more than photographer B, find out why! Do they have education? Provide extra services? Are their photos higher quality? These are some things to consider when you find those higher priced photographers and wonder...why are they so much more?

Just a few tips!! Good luck!!
{Wedding Photographer|Bride-To-Be}

Re: Tips from a Photographer to You

• atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I think this provides very helpful information (without advertising). Thank you AnnRogers. 

@LucyHC : Vendors are not allowed to "Advertise or Self promote" on the boards. Providing information and answering general photography questions without redirecting people to a personal website or blog is not advertising. 
  • Its a shame this was removed. It definitely provided some helpful information that would have helped out many brides. I suppose some people just like to complain about anything that they can. 
  • I wanted to see this post!  If they weren't selling anything just giving tips for good photos, why was this removed?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards