Second Weddings
Options

XP: Epidemic of Disconnection... Oprah

Okay, I'm not an Oprah regular but since it is a snow day ... I'm watching.  Tom Brokaw called Oprah to ask her to host a show on the wounded soldiers, sacrifices being made by families of those fighting overseas.  If you are in a different time zone, I won't ruin it for you ... I've been in tears for the last half hour.  *sigh*

For those of you with friends and  family members on the front lines, who have returned (wounded or healthy) or who have lost loved ones, thank you.  Please thank them for their service.

Re: XP: Epidemic of Disconnection... Oprah

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Snow day, LOL. My son is also in DC as you know, and luckily has no classes until Monday.

I didn't see the show, but yes, I agree, we don't treat our veterans well all the time. Luckily my fiance, who spent 22 years in the Air Force didn't see any action (he joined when the Viet Nam war was over), and he learned a skill there he can use (computer repairs). However, his SIL (soon to be my "step) is a Marine, and thankfully has only had one tour. My Mom's next door neighbor is in the National Guard, and has had THREE tours! He's spent more time there than the one actually in active service!

I've read a lot on the behaviors and attitudes that those returning have. They have a very hard time adjusting, and hopefully they find the services they need. It's funny you should bring this up, because when we were coming back from Charleston last weekend I saw a young man in his fatigues at the airport. I quietly went up and thanked him for his service. I also sent Xmas cards. It's not enough, but mostly because of my fiance, I do appreciate how hard the life is when you are gone, even when NOT in war zones. They give up a lot.

• Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I didn't see the show, but my sister is a Lt. Col, and served in Desert Storm pregnant with twins!  DH also served during that war.  It never ceases to amaze me the things those two have done for this country!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah ... my father (age 90) is a WWII veteran.  He fought in the Pacific rim.  Today's show really highlighted how much pain and injury today's vets have to deal with.  Fewer than 1% of Americans are serving.  Scary.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even though only 1% are serving, the reduction in forces (RIF) that has occured over the past several decades may leave us with an over-stretched, undertrained military.  I know lots of folks who have tried to get into the service, but have been unwanted.  It's one thing when you have a criminal record (I do NOT want those folks in the military, although the first offense, as my first DH had, so he went into the Marine Corps just at the end of the vietnam conflict was the best thing that ever happened to him --he was shown things and taught discipline that his parents were too lazy to do!)  And of course, those with medical conditions--we can't have them serving either.  However, I do believe we need a lot more folks in service than we have right now.  And in certain MOS (military occupation) then a sign-up bonus, IMO, is a good use of the taxpayer's money.   Just a few random thoughts to get you going on a Friday morning :-)
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards