Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

I can't find the right song!

Hey Knotties,

My dilemma, I can't find the right song for my dance with my father! I've heard so many songs and none of them have the right words that i can really connect with. Can you girls give me some suggestions? I don't want it to be the typical father/daughter songs that have been played out these past few years. Undecided and the only song my dad and I always sang together was Popeye the Sailor man!! That won't work!! LOL

Re: I can't find the right song!

• edited December 2011
    I'm using Landslide by Fleetwood Mac (we are both classic rock lovers).  It's a beautiful song without being cheesy..I must say i despise those cheesy father/daughter songs that I keep coming across on lists.
    Photobucket OMG...I'm MARRIED! :)
  • ashleyandcjashleyandcj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have always thought my girl from the temptations would be a good fit.  Its sweet but not sad....  :)    GL!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_cant-right-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:0908b384-b673-4ab7-8487-5a75c604ae66Post:da549cc2-cde8-41c8-b96d-366e7f018f20">Re: I can't find the right song!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm using Landslide by Fleetwood Mac (we are both classic rock lovers).  It's a beautiful song without being cheesy..I must say i despise those cheesy father/daughter songs that I keep coming across on lists.
    Posted by a_spinhirne@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you, these cheesy songs make it sound like they are trying to hard to be sentimental.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using "Butterfly, Fly Away" by Miley Cyrus.
    I don't like her music, but the song is really pretty. I found it on youtube.
    HTH!
  • andreapaulineandreapauline member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of using "You've Made Me So Very Happy" by Blood, Sweat, and Tears. My dad isn't the sentimental type. I thought it was nice without being too sappy, and it's from his era. My suggestion: start looking at songs from the type/time of music he likes, and pick something out that you both like. And honestly, the lyrics aren't as important as the fact that you'll be dancing with your dad.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also using "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman. I narrowed it down to a few I really liked and let my Dad make the final decision.
  • wypadekwypadek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Dad and I are dancing to "Its your World Now" by The Eagles. It was one of.... well actually the only song Dad could listen to that doesn't make him cry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nicole1125nicole1125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im using "I loved her first" It's a country song, but my dad is in to country and he picked it so it means a lot that he put his thoughts in to it. But its a really pretty song. Good luck!
  • LoriBee80LoriBee80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With my dad, I'm likely using "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton cause he got me addicted to Clapton when I was a kid.

Others  I like are Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" and Billy Joel's "Lullaby". Or even though it's a little on the cheese side, you can't really go wrong with Stevie Wonder. Both "Sunshine of my Life" or "Isn't She Lovely?" are fitting.
  • edited December 2011
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough-Marvin Gaye. I like it because I haven't heard anyone else use it before but it descrides perfectly how a Father feels for his Daughter. Nothing will stand in the way of his love for her. Hope this helps you out!
  • mjs23mjs23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan to use Isn't she lovely by Stevie Wonder
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Gracie by Ben Folds. The lyrics are perfect!
  • edited December 2011
    I let my dad pick.  I gave him my thoughts, but in the end he picked a song that I would have never chosen... one of those "today my daughter is a bride" type songs.  It's not what I wanted but it IS what my dad wanted.  And now, 1 1/2 years later, he still listens to that song for memories.  I didn't particulary like the song, nor would I listen to it again and again.  But dancing with me at my wedding was a huge moment for my dad and whereas I didn't like the song, it made my dad immensely happy- and that was all I needed.
  • edited December 2011
    I'll be doing the actually dancing part with my little brother since my dad passed away almost a year ago... but I'm lucky enough to have a recording of my father singing the song I want to use for the father/daughter dance.  It's my dad singing John Denver's Sunshine on my Shoulders.
  • ondreaflynnondreaflynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did the same as LindyM.  I asked my Dad to choose the song and he's had a lot of fun doing it.  If I recall the statement correctly it went something like "...and the you come in..."  I laughed so hard (because he was kidding, of course) I knew it was the right thing to let him pick the song.  Ironically the day is just as special to Dad and allowing him this one detail has been fantastic.  We'll be dancing to the Temptations, My Girl.
  • edited December 2011
     honestly just go with the "popeye the sailor" one esp. since you dont want somehting so sappy or played out. its original and i think it would be cute and funny. and it obviously means something to the both of you. maybe you could even find like a different version that would work for dancing together.  i know a father and daughter who did their dance to "baby got back". ibut f thats not really your deal. maybe think about letting him picking a song. it might be something you never even thought of. GL!
    PLANNING BIO!

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 126 Invited so far! image 65 Are ready to party!
    image 38 Will be missing out image 23 Are MIA
  • shiri23shiri23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I struggled in finding the right song because I was never a daddy's girl - we didn't have a mushy type relationship.  I'm no longer doing a father/daughter dance but I was going to do Natalie Merchant's "Kind and Generous".  Good luck. :)
  • edited December 2011

I also let my dad pick.  I didn't give him any ideas, and he chose something I never would have thought of!  He picked "Twist and Shout" by the Beatles because I loved that song when I was little and we danced to it together.  Maybe your dad will have a thought or two about sentimental songs for you and him?

• cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a tough time deciding too.  I like "Miracle" by the Foo Fighters, "Blue Telescope" by John Hiatt, "Lovely Cruise" or "Sending the Old Man Home" or "Savannah Fare You Well" by Jimmy Buffett,

And there is always "Little Miss Magic" by Jimmy Buffett, but i promised my sister I wouldn't use it so she could (Buffett wrote "Little Miss Magic" and "Savannah Fare You Well" for his daughter).
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask your dad to pick it out!  
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using  "When tough little boys" by Gary Allan... My dad has always sang that to me :)  Its perfect for us. 
  • lindseroolindseroo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm now having the same dilemma!  I was all set for and excited about "I loved her first," then my sister randomly gets married (I'm serious, she randomly got married) and used it!  UGH!  Of course I have a while yet to decide... =)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using "It won't be like this for long" by Darius Rucker... every time it comes on the radio my dad starts singing it to me, so I know he likes it a lot! Was going to do "I loved her first" until I realized just how popular it is, and this is more original. "Little Miss Magic" by Jimmy Buffett is another good one!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to be dancing with my step-grandfather, he' s always been like a dad to me. I'm not sure what song we're dancing to though. I thought about doing something fun, by starting out with a slow song and then that turning into something crazy like an old rock or rap song, my step-grandfather would absolutely love that, and nobody would be expecting it haha.
  • edited December 2011
    My daddy loves Alan Jackson, so I am playing... Drive by Alan Jackson. It is all about my childhood. Not to sappy, but reminds me of good childholod memories. I am getting in May so things could change, but so far I am set on that song.
    BFP~9/23/10 M/C @ 7 wks~10/7/10 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket image Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I picked My Little Girl by Tim McGraw. I love the song and it worked. I found all my songs on WeddingWire.com. They have a whole list of songs. Traditional and Non. And maybe Popeye the Sailor Man isn't a Father/Daughter dance song. But it's your song with him. Who knows maybe you can open with that and lead into another song.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My dad and I are dancing to "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You" by Dean Martin. My dad LOVES old crooner music - and I let him pick the song! It was fun to see what kind of song my dad picked to commemorate our moment together on my wedding day!
  • sdvorasdvora member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_cant-right-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:0908b384-b673-4ab7-8487-5a75c604ae66Post:54ac7bc1-f530-4529-b305-cc3567072f1c">Re: I can't find the right song!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dad and I are dancing to "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You" by Dean Martin. My dad LOVES old crooner music - and I let him pick the song! It was fun to see what kind of song my dad picked to commemorate our moment together on my wedding day!
    Posted by JoshandJenHonick[/QUOTE]

I've been struggling with this, too.  I asked my Dad (whose fave is the Kingston Trio; just try to dance to "Tom Dooley"!) but he just told me he didn't care and that I should pick anything.  I think "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You" is great!  Mind if I steal the idea? :)
  • edited December 2011
    uncle kracker- smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards