Attire & Accessories Forum

Can I use the engagement ring as the wedding ring?

I've noticed that a lot of ladies wear two rings on the rign finger and from what I understand, one is the engagement ring and the other is the actual wedding ring.
please I'd like to know if it's ok to use the same engagement ring as the wedding ring?
cheers

Re: Can I use the engagement ring as the wedding ring?

• You certainly can.  My mom didn't get a "real" wedding band until their 25th anniversary.  Do whatever you want/can afford.  Although if you want to get a band, you don't have to spend a lot of money.  You can a good quality band for under $100.
  • Of course you can -it comes down to preference, etc. I have a good friend who's been married 11 years and never got a band b/c she couldn't find one she liked or matched her e-ring.  One thing - people who don't know you, may assume you're still engaged, but that's not really a big deal.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_can-use-engagement-ring-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:53cec9d7-f7c9-487f-8ecd-fec11d1f2e3fPost:9c4dcd83-ed61-4715-a756-5e6f61050cf3">Re: Can I use the engagement ring as the wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Of course you can -it comes down to preference, etc. I have a good friend who's been married 11 years and never got a band b/c she couldn't find one she liked or matched her e-ring.  <strong>One thing - people who don't know you, may assume you're still engaged, but that's not really a big deal.</strong>
    Posted by Sapphire1002[/QUOTE]

This may become a reality for you. But if it doesn't bother you, then just an e-ring is fine. But like pp said, sometimes you can find a cheaper wedding band and then upgrade later on when you may have more money or whatever.
  • edited August 2010
    I will actually have 2 wedding bands because one is my grandmother's that I have had ever since my 16th birthday. I honestly don't think I have ever taken it off since she gave it to me. I plan to sandwich my e-ring between my grandmother's wedding band and my actual wedding band, which is also vintage and matches my e-ring.

This works for me, so do whatever works for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm only having one ring. It's from 1910 and it looks terrible with anything else.  It's the way they used to do it and I'm just fine with that. 
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If it's a style issue for you, and you prefer your e-ring on its own, go for it.

If it's a budget issue but you would like to have a band, there are lots of options.  Kay jewelers, for example, has a thin gold band for $60.  Littman Jewelers has a 10K gold band for $40.  

Or you could look at other metals, like sterling silver or stainless steel.  It could be a temporary band as PP's have suggested if you ultimately wanted to "upgrade" down the road.
    image Final Count: 80 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i'm doing this, this is my e ring
    http://zgor.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pZALEGORD1-3650780v300x300.jpg
    it's such an odd shape because of the heart shaped stone that I can't find a band to sit with it, so it's flying solo, I'll take it off for the wedding ( the first time in a year it will be off!) and then put it back on as a wedding ring
  • naeannnaeann member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010

Yes. A few people I know did not want a wedding band either. They didn't want the band to take away from the center diamond on the engagement ring. It's really just a matter of what you like best. :)

• I'm doing one ring.  We purchased an antique style wedding band I will wear.  It doesn't go with my solitaire e-ring so I'm wearing that on the other hand or having it converted to a pendant.  I think having one ring is just fine, especially if your e-ring is already big/ornate.
    Our Wedding Day
  • I'm having a hard time finding a wedding band that goes with my engagement ring because it is an antique with an unusual shape to the setting.  I may just skip the wedding band. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards