Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

has anyone used a food truck?

I'm trying to keep to a budget and was thinking of ways to have really yummy food without spending a fortune.  Gourmet food trucks are very popular right now, and I was thinking it could be a fun idea.  Any thoughts or experiences?  

Re: has anyone used a food truck?

• edited December 2011
    I think that would be incredible for a midnight snack particularly if you don't have a huge guest list (lines at the truck could be a problem).  But I am not really sure how the food truck would work if it's the full meal.   What is your venue? If it's indoor that might seem odd to go outside to get stuff.   Or are you just planning on hiring the food truck people to cater and bring everything in?  I need more details about what you're envisioning. 
  • courtchacecourtchace member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think it depends on how your doing it. We are having a normal plated meal but then were thinking of having a taco truck come at the end of the reception for late night munchies!

• cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with people. Midnight snack= great idea! 
                                    Main meal= not such a great idea
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with the girls-- it'd be a great snack but it wouldn't be great for a meal.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Search for "food truck" on www.greenweddingshoes.com and www.ruffledblog.com. There are quite a few that used this as their main dinner!
  • miss_britt28miss_britt28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are using a taco man for our main meal and its plenty to fill people! its sooo incredibly inexpensive and delicious! I have learned do what you want....food is always a hard one anyways
  • edited December 2011
    I love the idea of a food truck for your reception! We're thinking of using a cupcake truck for our dessert! 
  • edited December 2011
    We just went to a friend's wedding in Portland who did this, and it was awesome!

It does give a much more casual feel to the reception, but it also allowed people to mingle outside (weather was great) and chat with people. The bride and groom also stayed outside to chat with guests, rather than doing a receiving line. They were able to say hello to all their guests without everyone else having to stand in a line and wait.

The food was terrific and filling. Definitely recommend that you dismiss tables in an orderly manner (table 2 follows table 1, etc.). And make sure you have some appetizers beforehand or plated foods on the table so people aren't starving while they wait to go order. There's nothing worse than being the last one to get to eat when you're really hungry!
  • hollyandajhollyandaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sounds like a great idea. We are looking into having an ice cream truck at ours.

• HellFire865HellFire865 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh jesus! call me old and stodgy, but i think thats the tackiest idea ive ever heard. would never work for us, with a formal reception at night in mid fall in new york. almost certain to be cold and wet.
  • JustGLAMOURJustGLAMOUR member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_anyone-used-food-truck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:74adde5c-f754-408e-994e-49e75d77e8f8Post:eaded72c-371f-46bc-83be-bd47080de339">Re: has anyone used a food truck?</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh jesus! call me old and stodgy, but i think thats the tackiest idea ive ever heard. would never work for us, with a formal reception at night in mid fall in new york. almost certain to be cold and wet.
    Posted by HellFire865[/QUOTE]

<div>What makes the idea so tacky? Just because it wouldn't work for your wedding doesn't mean it's tacky. It's consider a more young and modern idea. </div><div>
    </div><div>Any way! We wanted a more casual reception. We are serving appetizers and drinks while our guest wait for us. Then we will start dismissing tables to the food truck. Our truck is known nation wide and I know a vast majority of my guest love the idea and can't wait! More power to ya girl if that's what you wanna do. :)</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I think that is a really great idea! It is definetely something different that not a lot of people will have seen.  I wish that we had food trucks in our area :-(
  • chrmunchrmun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you in SF? We've got kick-ass food trucks. I think that for a low-key outdoor event, this is a fantastic idea. The only thing that I'd stress on is picking just one! (Three? Maybe.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_anyone-used-food-truck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:74adde5c-f754-408e-994e-49e75d77e8f8Post:eaded72c-371f-46bc-83be-bd47080de339">Re: has anyone used a food truck?</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh jesus! call me old and stodgy, but i think thats the tackiest idea ive ever heard. would never work for us, with a formal reception at night in mid fall in new york. almost certain to be cold and wet.
    Posted by HellFire865[/QUOTE]

There are all types of weddings, as many as they are types of people.  Of coures this wouldn't work for a formal wedding, but not all weddings are formal.

Just as someone said, just becuase it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's tacky.  Wow.
  • oxlizxooxlizxo member
    edited December 2011
    It's definitely a different idea and really good if you want to save money. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a big wedding of over 100 people or so. I was recently at a wedding that had well over 100 people and there was a food truck. The line was long forever so I ended up waiting almost 2 hours before even trying to go in line. Even when the line was shorter I waited for about a half hour to get my food.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea, especially for a casual-ish wedding. The only thing I would worry about is that unlike a normal family-style dining sitch, the food truck is going to be serving food more slowly per guest, so a line could form. If you have a lot of people, maybe make sure everyone has plenty of snacks available while they wait to avoid pile-on.
  • tally7tally7 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    go for it !! have a separate place for the drinks and some appetizers and maybe two trucks ? also a menu at the tables so that people are ready --sounds like fun to me !!
  • edited December 2011

I went to a wedding with a food truck.  The food was excellent and it is a fun idea, but it was hard for the food truck to keep up with the number of guests, so people ended up hovering and waiting for more food to come out.  You may want to consider whether the food truck will have the capabilities to keep up with your guests.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_anyone-used-food-truck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:74adde5c-f754-408e-994e-49e75d77e8f8Post:808839c1-7b9c-45e4-b4d0-7f6a00a06555">Re: has anyone used a food truck?</a>:
    [QUOTE]we are using a taco man for our main meal and its plenty to fill people! its sooo incredibly inexpensive and delicious! I have learned do what you want....food is always a hard one anyways
    Posted by miss_britt28[/QUOTE]

Did you use the taco truck? How did it go?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards