Indiana

Differance in opinion - Fort Wayne reception

So I'm currently planning a wedding for June 2011 here in Fort Wayne IN. This week my wedding planner and I have been scoping out some reception sites. Her favorite site so far is the Harrison meeting rooms at the Grand Wayne center. The catering is done exclusively by the Hilton. She likes this place best becuase it has a droped ceiling therefore allowing us "more" decorating ability then a lot of other reception sites here in Fort Wayne. My biggest issues are the hotel is almost completely booked for a convention that same weekend so its going to be very busy. Not a very private reception in my own opinion. Plus she says they have some of the best tasting catering in Fort wayne as well but the selection is only for plated dinners and is really fancy stuff. My fiancee and I are simple and looking over that list at home it was like "who wants to eat that?"

I really think I would prefer a place like Goegliens out north where it is more secluded from other people, they have parking available, as well as a wider range of food item that we actually want to eat. Besides, we aren't on a horrible tight budget but it would save possibly a couoply thousand dollars to have the reception out north rather then downtown.  The main point of haing the reception at the hotel in the first place was to allow guests to drink freely at the reception and go straight to their rooms elimanting the need to travel but it seems more effective to have it somewhere alse and rent a trolly or bus to bring them back to the hotel. And with the convention going on that weekend the hotel doesn't have quite enough rooms for all of our guests so some would have to stay somehwere else.

My question(s) is really what would your opinion be? Especially if you are from the area and have experience with these places. We really want the decorating of the reception to be completly custumizeable, does Goegliens have a lot of restrictions on what you can do? Is there other places in town we don't know about yet? I wanted to get an outside opinion because I know I can get stuck on something and just not let it go, the hotel/grand wayne center might after all be the better choice
Photobucket creamykill: 1. An amazing kill on a video game 2. A secret code name. 3. a word to make you go WTF?

Re: Differance in opinion - Fort Wayne reception

• edited December 2011
    I say do what you want. Sounds like the Harrison rooms are going to be a pain in the butt! And, if the hotel is almost booked then that wipes out the whole purpose of the guests not having to travel. I say go with your own choice. I don't believe that they have a ton of restrictions on decorating. Also, people can be responsible with their alcohol consumption and get back to the hotel if need be. Renting a trolley or bus would be a great idea if it works with your budget though.

Fort Wayne is huge.. there are a gazillion places for receptions. If you want indoors try Ceruti's, the country clubs, fairgorounds, sheriff's reserve, club soda, baker street station.. i mean i could go on forever!

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Goegleins has amazing food! My sister used them for an off-site reception & we will be using them also. I believe they have several different places they consider 'on-site' as well (http://goegleins.com/venues.asp).
    I don't know about their event coordinator or other restrictions, but expecially considering how busy the GWC is, you should check them out further.
    Also be aware their 'prices' on the menu don't include their 16% service charge or tax. It says so right on the menu but sometimes people don't notice.
    Personally I think they have much better quality then Cerutis, expecially lately. We've been to a few events there in the past year and it's been pretty blah.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I was looking over the menu for Geogliens and we like the choices way better. The problem with Ceruti's is they have restrictions on how you can decorate their space. The lanterna dn a few others around town do too. Goegliens doesn't state on their webpage about any restrictions in decorating but it still might be the case. I think it still might be better the trying to use the GWC.

Besides I think its a little odd going from this tiny little church building in a graveyard that cozily fits everyone to a huge glass and metal building in the heart of Dowtown.
    Photobucket creamykill: 1. An amazing kill on a video game 2. A secret code name. 3. a word to make you go WTF?
  • edited December 2011
    We are having ours in the Johnny Appleseed Ballroom at the Coliseum.  Have you checked this out?  Our guests can stay at the new Holiday Inn across the street and the hotel does the shuttling for anyone staying there.  The coliseum has basically allowed us to do whatever we want with the room.  You get your room fee back if you spend so much in food.   Just a thought!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana_differance-opinion-fort-wayne-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:97Discussion:2e9b26d5-6e4e-4cba-8050-6069dbdd85c1Post:c1f81dbc-18c5-423b-b92d-f21983a4d50c">Re: Differance in opinion - Fort Wayne reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having ours in the Johnny Appleseed Ballroom at the Coliseum.  Have you checked this out?  Our guests can stay at the new Holiday Inn across the street and the hotel does the shuttling for anyone staying there.  The coliseum has basically allowed us to do whatever we want with the room.  You get your room fee back if you spend so much in food.   Just a thought!
    Posted by ndnikki06[/QUOTE]

Actually I haven't even heard of that place, I'll have to look into it thanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    Tell them you want to come look at the room when it is decorated for a wedding.  Don't look at it when its bare hahaha.  I've been to weddings there and it's beautiful, but I saw it when it wasn't decorated and it wasn't so nice.   I would hate for your first impression be when it's ugly hahahaha! 
  • edited December 2011
    We went and looked at it today actually, as well as a couple of their other rooms. We decided to go with the Lounge, its perfect!! The Appleseed Ballroom was nice too, it was decorated for a prom so we got a good idea. The shuttle service to the hotel works out perfectly since a large number of guests are coming from out of town. Thanks so much for the tip off ndnikki06!!
  • edited December 2011
    Awwww YAY!  Glad I could help!  :) Good luck with the rest of your planning! 
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I love Goeglein's food. When I worked at IPFW, I would supervise weddings in the Walb ballroom (you might consider it too), and most of the time, the bride and groom would let us (IPFW staff) eat their food. My favorite caterer was by far Goeglein's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards