Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

rose petals on aisle and dress question

Hi ladies!

I am thinking about incorporating rose petals in my ceremony. The flower girl will drop them on the floor as she walks down the aisle and then I'll follow. My question is: won't my dress (it's a floor length dress) sweep them all as I walk down the aisle?? Maybe there's something that can be done to keep this from happening?

The rose petals are not 100% necessary, I just thought it would be a nice touch, so if it can't be done, then I'll scratch that idea.

Thanks for your advice!!

photo 4d90b97c-0076-4b13-b3c1-7cddd4d8686b_zps47a19125.jpg

Re: rose petals on aisle and dress question

• Hmm.....that is an interesting question. I'm not sure how much help I can offer but after watching numerous wedding ceremonies on Youtube and TV shows (4 Weddings, My Fair Wedding, etc.), I never noticed the petals that the flower girl threw being majorly swept by the bride's dress (maybe some here or there but not all of them). Personally, I don't think it'll be a major issue but that's just my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I asked a question about doing something similiar, and several people commented that different venues have rules about rose petals, and whether they allow real or fake.  Might want to double check to make sure.  I've also heard that real rose petals can stain your dress or the floor, so that might be a reason to use fake...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_rose-petals-on-aisle-and-dress-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:07b94f6c-4d32-437d-8484-75f3159e91cePost:2b3a117d-dbd2-45e9-b4dc-36c762251d49">Re: rose petals on aisle and dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked a question about doing something similiar, and several people commented that different venues have rules about rose petals, and whether they allow real or fake.  Might want to double check to make sure.  I've also heard that real rose petals can stain your dress or the floor, so that might be a reason to use fake...
    Posted by mrszeno34[/QUOTE]

This. Some venues like mine do not allow things to be thrown on the floor because it could become a slipping hazard.  Also if your using colored petals they may stain your dress.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The deep red petals can stain, and rose petals are slippery if you have enough of them dropped.

When my friend had petals down the aisle few enough of them got swept up by her long train that it wasn't an issue.  She used smaller daisy petals so I don't know if that impacted the 'sweeping up' issue at all.
  • Your not just limited to rose petals, you could do bubbles or have her release a dove, there are unlimited possibilities.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_rose-petals-on-aisle-and-dress-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:07b94f6c-4d32-437d-8484-75f3159e91cePost:7a703a6e-a43e-49b8-bbde-35000145cf9e">Re: rose petals on aisle and dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your not just limited to rose petals, you could do bubbles or have her <strong>release a dove, there are unlimited possibilities.</strong>
    Posted by buscemijojo23[/QUOTE]

Please don't do this.  Animals are not props. It's cruel.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_rose-petals-on-aisle-and-dress-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:07b94f6c-4d32-437d-8484-75f3159e91cePost:7a703a6e-a43e-49b8-bbde-35000145cf9e">Re: rose petals on aisle and dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your not just limited to rose petals, you could do bubbles or have her release a dove, there are unlimited possibilities.
    Posted by buscemijojo23[/QUOTE]

I think you're misunderstanding the question here. She's asking about having a flower girl scatter petals during the ceremony; not having her guests throw petals during a sendoff.

And ditto PP's comments about releasing a dove - that's a horrible idea.
    Anniversary
  • i got the question, i was saying that maybe instead of petals if u are worrried about that you could do bubbles for the flower girl, thats what i was getting at, i was just giving a few ideas. not necessarily a dove but i was showing some ideas

• Regarding the sweeping of your dress with petals of any kind you want:

Your dress, depending on the train, shouldn't trip you in length. Alterations should make walking down the aisle very easy. Petals on the ground whether fake or real should not catch very much if at all while flat on the ground with the fabric of your train sliding/gliding over it as you walk. A heavy train perhaps may move some petals, but it will not be the focus of anyone watching you walk down the aisle either. They will be looking at you and how beautiful you look walking over the symbolic petals.
    ~All the love you put out will return to you~
  • what about a pommander
  • where can i find ivory colored rose petals i can glue onto a veil or piece of organza.. thanx
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards