Canada-Ontario

Dress shopping in Toronto

Today marks 10 months to my wedding day!  I am so excited, the time is moving so fast!  I started dress shopping a couple of weeks ago.  I went to The Brides Project and Jealous Bridesmaids.  From those two stores I tried on about a dozen dresses. There is one that I like, but I don't feel wowed by it and I know it is not the dress.  This weekend I will go to David's Bridal...and after that I will need to make some more appointments, but I have found that a google search on where to find wedding gowns in the GTA does not yeild any helpful information. Can you please provide some recommendations?  I've heard that there are many shops on Spadina...but I am not sure where and I would like a number of options.

Thanks

Re: Dress shopping in Toronto

• Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you going to DB's in Mississauga?  If so, there's also Elizabeth Stuart Discount Bridal. If you go to Brampton, check out Bea Shawn Fashions - they have awesome service there - and the alterations are included when you order a dress from them.

On St. Clair & Dufferin, there's a number of bridal shops along St Clair, one of which is Jolie Bridal.

Off of Dufferin, on Orfus Road, there's 2 or 3 bridal shops - Windsor Bridal, Your White Dress, Ballett's Bridal and another one or two, I believe.

On Spadina, there are a few, but I don't recall their names.  I find though, that they tend to specialiize in more petite figures, i.e. Asian body types. 

You can also find some non-typical dresses on Queen St. West in a few of the boutiques.  My g/f got a 50's style dress there.  There is one that specializes in bridal wear but I've forgotten the name of it.
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Becker's Bridal and The Dressroom - 387 and 269 Danforth Ave
  • Habs2HartHabs2Hart member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I went to Ritche on avenue and found my dress in the first try.  Loved my consultant, her name was Kelly. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    There's a lot of stores in woodbridge
    Anniversary

imageimage
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to Becker's and The Dressroom - got my dress and bridesmaid dresses there!
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have not found what you are looking for and want to go a little further west, I would recomend Sweet Seraphine in Oakville.
  • edited December 2011

Richie was really nice. Beckers was a little disorganized and I felt a bit pressured to decide and buy on the spot. Josy's in Mississauga is really nice! There are a few stores around st. claire and dufferin. I just bought my dress today - from Josy's...good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Although I did not buy my dress at Riche, I had a great experience. They have most of the same dresses as Jealous Bridesmaids, so I was able to compare a few side by side. The consultants were great, they let me stop by a few times when I was narrowing down my choice. I also met with the seamstress because any dress for me would require a ton of alterations (I'm under 5' tall). She was very knowledgible and seemed very competent. We are ordering our bridesmaid dresses from there.

I ended up buying my dress from Lea-Ann Belter (http://www.lea-annbelter.com/). I like that it's made in Toronto and made exactly to your dimensions (they took like 20 measurements), so there are no alterations, just tweaks here are there. If you google her dresses, don't believe the prices. My dress was about half the price I saw online at other stores. Maybe it's because I bought directly from the designer? Also, the alterations are included in the price. What really sold me on the dress is that it's well made, fully lined (no scratchy material) and SOOO light. After trying on heavy dresses at other stores, I knew this was the one. 
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On spadina south of queen is bridal fashion fraire and bridal on spadina. Both are pretty budget friendly. La sposa on danforth is a bit pricier but had some beautiful gowns from Magdalena gymr. Cabaret on queen had some gorgeous modern vintage dresses that I was tempted to try on even though I already got my dress at jealous bridesmaids. Lowen pope has nice sheath style dresses. If you're in the west end belo on roncy has a lot of selection but they don't put price tags on their dresses which annoyed me.
  • SNTJ2012SNTJ2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all! This is so helpful!  I really appreciate it!  I will let you all know when I make the big purchase!  So excited!
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_dress-shopping-toronto?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:c8dd23a0-14aa-4e40-87a2-97247b82fddbPost:76cbdc10-610a-4574-bf3b-26d1689b24e7">Re: Dress shopping in Toronto</a>:
    [QUOTE]I ended up buying my dress from Lea-Ann Belter ( <a href="http://www.lea-annbelter.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.lea-annbelter.com/</a> ). I like that it's made in Toronto and made exactly to your dimensions (they took like 20 measurements), so there are no alterations, just tweaks here are there. If you google her dresses, don't believe the prices. My dress was about half the price I saw online at other stores. Maybe it's because I bought directly from the designer? Also, the alterations are included in the price. What really sold me on the dress is that it's well made, fully lined (no scratchy material) and SOOO light. After trying on heavy dresses at other stores, I knew this was the one. 
    Posted by petite+engineer[/QUOTE]

Hi petite,

How much did your dress end up costing you?  Just wanted an idea before I make plans to go there and find out it's some crazy price.  Let me know.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_dress-shopping-toronto?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:c8dd23a0-14aa-4e40-87a2-97247b82fddbPost:b6977b93-3261-480c-a3ae-3502fcf3a15b">Re: Dress shopping in Toronto</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dress shopping in Toronto : Hi petite, How much did your dress end up costing you?  Just wanted an idea before I make plans to go there and find out it's some crazy price.  Let me know. Thanks!
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

<div>I replied in a private message with a bunch of details.</div><div>
    </div><div>For anyone else, I think the dresses started around $1800, but remember that this includes alterations.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Has anyone had any luck with trunk shows or sample sales? 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_dress-shopping-toronto?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:c8dd23a0-14aa-4e40-87a2-97247b82fddbPost:8588a2c2-b7e4-4356-aa99-f2fa6b4b67d7">Re: Dress shopping in Toronto</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone had any luck with trunk shows or sample sales? 
    Posted by busybride109[/QUOTE]

<div>I just got an email from Ritche about an "Essence of Australia" trunk show from Nov 2-12.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think your success depends on your shape and size.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered my dress from Best for Bride in Etobicoke.  I initially thought the website was disorganized and hard to navigate, but I had an excellent experience in store.  They had an AMAZING selection!  I recommend visiting on a weekday if possible, it was busy on the weekend!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards