South Carolina-Charleston

Transportation rant!

Hi all, I just have to get this off my chest so I can reassess and refocus my efforts.

Arranging mass transportation from three different locations for 40 people is proving to be a logistical nightmare and a huge pain in my a$$!!  The worst part is that everything is just barely outside of walking distance.

So now I'm in the position of trying to arrange pick up for about 30 guests from two different locations (maybe three), a car for the BP, a car for the groom's party, one vehicle to stick around to take those who can't walk the two minutes (literally, we times it) to the reception, and pick up service for those going back to the hotel(s) after the reception and pick up service for after last call a few hours later.

So am I totally screwed? Am I going to have to eat the cost of just renting a bus for the whole night? Thanks for letting me rant!

Re: Transportation rant!

• edited December 2011
    Have you thought about pedicabs for those that can't walk the couple of blocks? Not sure if that will work but I know you can have them lined up at a certain time, even if you need 15 or so
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I used one Black Cab (which was about $80/hour, and no minimum hours if you are in the immediate Charleston area) to shuttle about 20 of my guests for a 5 car minute ride.  We just had him make about 3 trips and it took no time.  The Black Cab can take 5 people in the back, and they may or may not let a sixth person sit up front.  Since you have 2 different locations maybe you just do two Black Cabs that make about 3 trips each.  The guy who schedules event pickups with Charleston Black Cab is super helpful and easy to work with.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm, I like it. Thanks!
  • eljones17eljones17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually used school buses to transport my guests.  Try Durham Bus Services in Charleston. They were actually really easy to work with and the prices were ridiculously cheap compared to any other transportation option.  The buses were really clean and they showed up early for my event. 
  • nfguthrienfguthrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Saw your post over on Etiquette & you mentioned you were hesitant to work w/one of the companies recommended here b/c you hadn't been getting a good response.  In case Charleston Black Cab was the business in question and in case it helps, just wanted to say that we used them, as well, and they did exactly what they said they would do, and I would have no qualms about using them again.  GL w/everything!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! No Charleston Black Cab isn't the one I'm hesitant about. Looks like a great company, but after getting the quote from them it's out of our price range. The company in question (I was mistaken on the Etiquette board) was limos for less Charleston. Googling Charleston Black Cab lead me to that company. The prices are right, but I'm hesitant about the fact that they don't have any contracts or credit authorization forms. They asked us to call with a credit card number. We just dealt with an ID theft situation and are hyper-vigilant about securing the credit cards these days.

We're thinking of just arranging (and paying for) cab fare for everyone. It's not as fancy, but it meets the requirements.

Thank you everyone for your help! I really do appreciate it.
  • nfguthrienfguthrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gotcha!  I hope it all works out, I think vouchers are a nice idea!
  • edited December 2011

Re: I actually used school buses to transport my guests.  Try Durham Bus Services in Charleston. They were actually really easy to work with and the prices were ridiculously cheap compared to any other transportation option.  The buses were really clean and they showed up early for my event. 

Do you still have the contact information for the Durham Bus Services?

• In Response to Re: Transportation rant!:
    [QUOTE]Re: I actually used school buses to transport my guests.  Try Durham Bus Services in Charleston. They were actually really easy to work with and the prices were ridiculously cheap compared to any other transportation option.  The buses were really clean and they showed up early for my event.  Do you still have the contact information for the Durham Bus Services? Thanks :)
    Posted by JMStone30[/QUOTE]

Has anyone used Durham Bus Services? I left a message with them but was wondering about pricing, how long you could have them, etc?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards