Knottie of the Week - IamJoesGurl - June 14 - 18

1.  Your Name & your Other Half's Name!

2.  Your Wedding Date

3.   Your Wedding Colors

4.  Your Age - His Age

5.  Honeymooning where?

6.  Does your wedding have a theme?

7.  How did he propose?

8.  What do you think has been your biggest courting challenge as a Christian couple and how have you all overcome it?

9.  Any advice for other couples?

10.  What's your fave wedding movie?

11.  Fave wedding TV show?

12.  How long between the proposal and the wedding?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Knottie of the Week - IamJoesGurl - June 14 - 18

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Your Name & your Other Half's Name! - Lisa and Joe 

Your Wedding Date - 10/10/2009

Your Wedding Colors - Fall Colors

Your Age - His Age  - I was 38 and he was almost 34

Honeymooning where? – Miami and Disney World (we went to a Dolphins game, then to Disney World for a week)

Does your wedding have a theme?  - We had fall decorations like silk leaves and leaf garland (not really a theme but it was to keep the decorations fall-ish)

How did he propose? – We had a LDR and met the first time at BWI airport in Baltimore, MD.   We got engaged on September 1, 2008 at BWI Airport.  At the end of a great weekend we had spent together, I brought him back to the airport and he surprised me with the ring.  I had no idea he was going to do it.  I would say that the proposal was nothing special, but the fact that he asked me to marry him was one of the most special things that has ever happened to me. 

8.  What do you think has been your biggest courting challenge as a Christian couple and how have you all overcome it?  Definitely keeping the physical relationship in check before marriage.  I was blessed with a husband (then fiancé) that has amazing self-control.  

9.  Any advice for other couples?  Enjoy this time in your life and continually seek God’s will for your relationship. 

What's your fave wedding movie?  My Best Friend’s Wedding.  I love one of the last quotes, “Maybe there won't be marriage... maybe there won't be sex... but, by God, there'll be dancing.”  I actually like that whole scene because I could relate to it when the movie came out.

11.  Fave wedding TV show?  I don’t have a favorite. 

How long between the proposal and the wedding?  A little over 13 months.

There are wedding pictures in my bio.
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hi Lisa!  Love your proposal story and the wedding pictures are beautiful!  Love the fall colors, and now I wish we were closer to a lake. :)  Did the kids like the coloring book?  We're doing something similar.  What were your favorite and least favorite parts of the planning process?
    ~Emily
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the complements!  I had always dreamed of having a wedding on a lake so I was glad that we found our venue.

I think the kids really did like the coloring/activity books.  I even caught my brother-in-law with one of them!  They also loved the chocolate spoons that I made for the coffee table.  I didn't think of that being a great hit for the kids, but they were all used (mostly by kids and not in coffee!).

Favorite parts of planning - the DIY projects I did, planning everything, having e-pics done. 

Least favorite parts - DH is a last minute kind of guy and he wanted to pick out the RD location but waited until the last minute.  I am a planner so this was frustrating for me.  Also, they did not formally invite anyone so everyone was wondering if they should be staying for dinner.  Some of our OOT guests were excluded.  I felt really bad about that. The other least favorite parts were the stress and crying over finding a venue and finding a replacement photographer when ours bailed on us (per the contract, she was allowed to do so).  But it all worked out perfectly.  I just had to keep reminding myself that I was not in control and trusting God that it would all work out.

I did a lot of planning from far away and some things were done strictly over the phone and by email.  That was a challenge, but I am so thankful for the internet!
  • edited December 2011
    So pretty!  I've seen your posts around because I love the images of you and your DH in your signature - it's so perfect.  
    And we're going to DisneyWorld for the honeymoon too!  Where did you stay - did you stay in the honeymoon suite at any of them?  We're booking right now and trying to figure out where to stay - we've both been to the Polynesian..  So hard to choose!
    Anyhow, lovely story.  Sounds like you two had a great wedding and have a wonderful marriage.
    the wedded pups - large
    jason + katherine - wedded 6.18.2011
    edited December 2011
    We stayed at Coronado Springs in a regular room with a king bed.  We really liked it there.  It is a moderate hotel and our room had a fridge in it which was nice.  We got the 5 day pass with Park Hopper and no expiration.  We only used 3 days because we both got sick.  But the upside is that we get to go back for our other two days!!!

Thank you for the compliment on my siggy pic.  I love it too.
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    edited December 2011
    I know you met for the first time at the airport - how did you all meet to start the long distance thing?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    This is going to be long - sorry!

One of my best friends from college days had been trying to set me up with her BIL for years and would ask me from time to time if she could give him my email address.  She probably badgered him in the same way.  We are nothing alike and would have been miserable together.  So I repeatedly told her that it was not a good idea and I was not interested.  When she finally realized that it was not going to happen, she started trying to find someone else to set me up with.  She decided that her next "victim" would be her husband's cousin (Joe).  A few years before Joe and I met, she told him about me and he said that he was dating someone else so she dropped it (and never told me about it).

Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2006 when they had a family gathering and she found out that he was single again.  He was not at the family gathering so she gave my email address to his mother and told her to have Joe email me!  This time she did not ask for permission - she just did it.  Then she emailed me to tell me that she had given my email address to his mom.  Before this time, I did not know he existed (even though we were both at her wedding in 96 - we never met).

He emailed her to ask about me before emailing me to introduce himself.  I was sort of freaked out because I did not like to be set up.  But I decided that he lived 400 miles away so he was not going to be a stalker or anything.  Plus, I totally trusted my friend.

We emailed back and forth for about 5 weeks before he asked if he could come see me.  That freaked me out even more because I was afraid we would not get along and I'd be stuck with him for 24 hours or more.  I agreed to it and we decided that I would pick him up at the airport, we'd hang out for the day and then he would stay at my house while I stayed at my parents' house.  I knew that if it was horrible, I could bring him back to the airport to fly out early.

We had a really great time together while he was here and felt that we already knew each other from our daily emails.  He met my parents at church briefly and we had dinner at my sister's house before he left to go home.  All of my family thought we got along really well and that was important to hear their first opinions.  The rest of our relationship was a LDR with us flying back and forth to see each other.  We could fly Southwest so usually the flight was about $120.  We saw each other about every 2-3 weekends.

I'm so glad that my friend didn't ask for my permission before giving out my email address!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards