Latino Weddings

Ceremony Start Time?

This topic gets girls on TK really heated up, but I need to know what you ladies think...

FI's entire family is consistently late to EVERYTHING.  In fact, at a recent wedding, many of them missed half or all of the ceremony because they run on what FI and I call, "LT" (Latino Time).

Whenever I pose this question on TK, people always say that if they care they'll be there on time and who cares if they're there or not.  But that's just not how it is.  They definitely care about us... they just are never on time.  And I absolutely don't want to start the ceremony with only my side in attendance.

So do any of you have this problem with family running on LT?  And, if so, are you putting the ceremony start time on the invitation earlier than the actual start time?
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony Start Time?

• edited December 2011
    YES!  My mom is late for everything.  I have already told people that the ceremony will start at 4pm sharp.  I hate being late for anything (thanks to mom) and I will not make an exception on my wedding day.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a few weddings in Mexico where the invitation time was at least 30 minutes before the actual start time and went to one where it was 1.5 hours before.

You know your guests and you know what is important.  I read a wedding planning book for gringos (can't remember which one) which actually recommends that you say the wedding starts an hour before your intended start time.  I think this could be problematic because we are getting married in a church with strict time requirements, but we'll see.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah... I might do the 30 minute time difference.  I'm just worried though because our wedding is outdoors in the middle of July at 3:30 in the afternoon... I don't want anyone passing out!
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You don't want those guests that showed up on time to be stuck waiting in the sun all that time!  I would suggest starting 15 minutes after the invitation says, that way no one is waiting too long and it gives people a little extra time.  A friend of mine had champagne available before the ceremony, this turned into a bit a social time, people were sipping their champagne and not going straight to their seats, so if you plan for extra time before the ceremony, something like this might be good.  I have also seen on TK, where an outside summer wedding the couple supplied their guests with parasols to use while they were in the sun for the ceremony.  You know your family, but at the same time, you need to stress to them that there are time restrictions and people really need to be on time.  But, if they aren't going to be...I would try to fill the time for the guests that will be waiting for the tardy guests.
  • edited December 2011

we're going to start 30 mins after the set time because we already know there's going to be family members who are going to be late. But we'll be serving appetizers and taking photos with guests who want to take their own pictures with us to keep them entertained.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So your guests will see you before the ceremony...that would be a bummer for me.  But, if you are okay with that and it ensures ALL your guests will be there for the ceremony, I suppose it will be worth it.
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen invitations that say "hora inglesa" or "hora exacta" after the time.  That way you won't be punishing the punctual German relatives (or whomever) who took you seriously and now assume that YOU are the late one!
  • rfelix14rfelix14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My fiance is Colombian and I'm from Trinidad and Tobago so we're working with a double whammy...Latino Time AND Caribbean Time:) We actually hired a motorcoach to pick up guests at a certain time so they all get to the reception 15 minutes early.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Trini Bride
  • edited December 2011
    Great Post, and advice. My wedding will also be outside in Sept. next year in a Garden. I am def gonna start the cermony 15 to 30min after the time on the invites.

& the champage idea is awesome. THANKS!

WHY MUST LATINOS BE LATE TO EVERYTHING!?! I wonder....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards