Chit Chat
Options

Friends of the opposite gender..

Long story short, I went to see a movie today with a guy I am friends with. FI is cool with it and he knows and likes my buddy., Randomly talking with 3 different people today (when they asked what I was up to today, I said, "Oh, just got back from seeing Dark Knight with Aaron) they were completely shocked and appalled that FI would "let me" go to a movie with a guy.

One went as far as to say that I am "emotionally cheating on FI" because I went with my friend to a movie. In the middle of the day. With a guy who has referred to me being "like a sister" and is in a relationship himself. Even if I saw a movie with a guy on a Friday/Saturday night, what the heck does that matter?!?!?!

Needless to say, I am completely baffled by this. I know it only matters what FI and I think, but apparently movie=getting it on. I did bump knees with him at one point and shared my peanut m&ms... I must be a hussy.

Re: Friends of the opposite gender..

• Options
    *GASP*

Youz a Hoe! 

;o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'd rather be a hoe than a prude..

:)
  • Options
    Wait.. you mean sex isen't always good when you're in love? And gets better when you're married, right? RIGHT?

Crap. :)
  • Options
    I should have known better. Im now singing that song in my head. . .
    That song is like the whole 'This is the song that never ends. . ' to me. It's on repeat.
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:5dd9c0bf-af78-44cd-9a78-427ac68eeed1">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : I iz not a Hoe.  Hoe's charge.  I am a slut, thankuverymuch!
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Ah, that explains a lot. ;)
  • Options
    Here's the argument for why a girl shouldn't have guy friends: because guys think of girl friends as folks they have not yet banged whereas women think of guy friends as folks they will not ever bang. 

(^^ that is not my opinion, but that's what I think those ladies were talking about.)

There was an article or blog post I read a while ago that used the phrase, "Girls are not friends you put kindness coins into until sex falls out," and I loved that she said that. She was talking about how guys get p!ssed they're in the "friend zone."

I grew up with a lot of guy friends. I've always been that kind of girl. But the older I get, the more time I spend with my FI's friends (who I'm truly off limits to) the more I understand that I misinterpretted a lot in my friendships with guys. I think sometimes girls do treat guy friends as the emotional support system in their relationship rather than finding it from within. But those people that said that to you should STFU about ish they don't know anything about. 

The real issue comes in with how your FI chooses to deal with his feelings about guys vs girls. Ultimately, what really matters is that he trusts you to not put yourself in situations that could lead to temptation or sticky situations. And it's 100% not anyone else's business how you two handle the trust in your relationship. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Thank you Emee! I can totally see what you're saying..

FI's approach to it is, "If I can't trust you enough to have lunch or see a movie with a guy, then we would have a major issue" Which I'm glad we don't have these kinds of trust issues, but I have been treading carefully and having good communication with FI in regard to my interactions with my friend.

A lot of the time, I hear "Well how would you feel if he did that to you?". And I can't deny, I don't know how I would feel. My FI is such a catch, any woman would be lucky to have him, but I think that I would have to trust him, even if I didn't trust the chick he was hanging out with..
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:12af5292-36e7-477b-b81c-3a3b6c28252e">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Emee! I can totally see what you're saying.. FI's approach to it is, "If I can't trust you enough to have lunch or see a movie with a guy, then we would have a major issue" Which I'm glad we don't have these kinds of trust issues, but I have been treading carefully and having good communication with FI in regard to my interactions with my friend. A lot of the time, I hear "Well how would you feel if he did that to you?". And I can't deny, I don't know how I would feel. My FI is such a catch, any woman would be lucky to have him, but I think that I would have to trust him, even if I didn't trust the chick he was hanging out with..
    Posted by Lolagirl2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, my FI and I draw the line at drinking. I don't think it's appropriate for either of us to have solo drunk sessions with people of the opposite sex. I'm sure other people have different opinions on it, but temptation happens, why put yourself in that situation? </div>
  • Options
    I can see that.. I don't think it would dawn on me to have a solo drinking session with a guy.. but I guess a late lunch could turn into happy hour if you're not careful..

I've drank around my FI's friends with him not there.. but there was always a group of us and FI came out later..
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:9cc8023b-eaaa-41fa-8175-d3220a0e4a3f">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can see that.. I don't think it would dawn on me to have a solo drinking session with a guy.. but I guess a late lunch could turn into happy hour if you're not careful.. I've drank around my FI's friends with him not there.. but there was always a group of us and FI came out later..
    Posted by Lolagirl2012[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm a one-on-one girl so I usually go out with just one friend at a time. Having a drink or two is fine, but I just won't go to a bar specifically to get drunk with some dood without my fiance there, ha. </div>
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    One of my BFFs is a guy and we got eachother through college.  Nothing beyond freindship was ever even approached.  I spent my last law school spring break with him in Arizona and then bf (now DH) was surprised we got separate hotel rooms instead of getting one with two double beds to split costs when we left Phoenix for the Grand Canyon (I slept on his couch in Phoenix after insisting that I would not kick him out of his own bedroom).  When DH met BFF and BFF's gf(now DW) met me, they both said the same thing: BFF soulmates but nothing more.  (also, I was the Best Woman at his wedding and he was one of the readers at mine.)
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:9f2754ba-7658-4706-a307-e96cc7431196">Re:Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, emmee, but I think that's horseshit. I am and have always been the tomboy little sister type and working in a male oriented industry compounded that trait for many years. <strong>Guys can say they want a "cool chick" who can work with power tools and doesn't mind getting grubby, but at the end of the day, they tend to go home with the pretty girl who needs a man to fix the dryer</strong>. I have one male friend that, when he lived locally, we had a standard drinking night once a week. I stayed on the couch at his apartment many a night and shared hotel rooms on several occasions. We were both single for several years and there was never a single romantic second or drunken hookup. I have another friend who is an ex precisely because we have zero sexual interest in each other. We're great friends now, he introduced me to DH as a matter of fact. Do I think it's the case with every male and female who enjoy hanging out? No. But this "guys are always trying to sleep with you when they're your friends" BS is just flat out untrue.

Yep.  Even though I was on track to become a sports reporter (and at the TV station where I worked was the go to person with producer questions when the sports director wasn't there) and friends were amazed that I could talk stats, players and games with guys, I began to keep this knowledge to myself when I realized that they would spend a lot of time talking to me and having a good time but inevitably say "goodnight.  Nice talking to you" and then go hit on someone else.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Wait, I didn't say that's how all guys are. I said that's clearly what those women think. And I said that from personal experience, I've had to reevaluate some of my personal relationships with dudes. It's entirely possible to say you're not sexually attracted to someone when you are. Every situation is different. My FI and I started out as friends who had "zero interest" in each other as more than friends. Things change. 

I'm not saying you can't have guy friends - I certainly have them - but it is something that you need to make sure you're communicating honestly about and not just saying, "No no, nothing awkward could ever happen, nope not to me, nope nope nope." Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they feel the same (even if they say they do). Just because you're comfortable doesn't mean your fiance is. Etc. 

Every friendship is different, every relationship is different. 

That said, I'm not a tomboy, so my friendships with guys probably fall into a different category.
  • Options
    Also I wish my FI were able to fix a dryer. I'm not sure even knows how to use a normal dryer.  When he moves to DC next week will be the first time ever he's left apartment-life, and thus commercial dryers, in Manhattan behind.

Manhattanites are like these people who think the entire world works by magic. Super fixes broken things around the house. MTA drives them around the city. Elevators come when you push a button. Takeout is ordered online and delivered to their door at any hour of the night. The men might like a gal that likes to get her hands dirty and knows how to fix things ;) hahahaha
  • Options
    emeejeeayenemeejeeayen member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:d9ea65ce-3190-4617-8640-885a435360e7">Re:Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Friends of the opposite gender..: Wow, judgey much? And your post implied that you agreed with the opinion that you posted from the way that you agreed with it and talked about how much you loved the blogger for saying it.

<div>1) I loved the blogger for saying "Girls aren't people you put kindness coins into until sex falls out." Do you DISAGREE with that statement? Do you DISAGREE with that guys shouldn't be friends with girls they want to f.ck and then get upset that they didn't get any play and are in the "friend zone"? I think guys like that are buttholes, and they should wise the eff up. Ooo sorry for that opinion! I'm sure it's real controversial. I was just pointing out that the concept that guys are friends with girls to get sex is one that is believed by BOTH sexes. <em>And then I explictly said that I don't believe all guys have girl friends to bang.</em></div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: the fact that the phrase "friend zone" exists is proof that clearly it's an issue. When's the last time you heard a girl say that a guy put her in the "friend zone" or heard "friend zone" referred to in a positive way? </div><div>
    </div><div>2) Whoa, take a joke much? </div>
  • Options
    Ali092011Ali092011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I definitely get annoyed when I hear anyone say anything to the effect of "girls and boys can't be just friends, there's always a sexual element, one is always interested," etc.

Two of my dearest friends are males, and FI, who sometimes tends towards a smidge of jealousy, has absolutely no problem with me spending time with either of them. He knows, I know, and my friends know that there has never and will never be anything sexual between us. With both of these guys, we've been single at the same time, been drunk together, called each other up at two in the morning, and traveled to foreign countries together--if there were something between us, I think that shitt would have blown up by now. So basically, emee, I disagree that a conversation needs to take place in a male-female friendship in which you explicitly state that nothing will ever happen between you two.

One thing I do agree with, no matter how much I'm just friends with my guy friends, is respecting your SO's boundaries. There's no doubt that jealousy is much more common when there are opposite sex friendships involved. I would never date someone who wouldn't let me spend time with my male friends, but I would take his comfort into consideration. For example, a couple of months ago, a male friend (not a very close one, mostly he's a CW but we also hang out outside of work) asked me to accompany him to the gym, and when I mentioned it to FI, he said he was mildly uncomfortable with the idea, but he wouldn't fight me about it. It wasn't going to make or break my life if I went with this guy, so I declined.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Emeejeeayen, I can't take your post seriously. . .Try again, or better yet, don't.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:0da33867-5a1e-4af5-8e7b-015ebe12d0eb">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely get annoyed when I hear anyone say anything to the effect of "girls and boys can't be just friends, there's always a sexual element, one is always interested," etc. Two of my dearest friends are males, and FI, who sometimes tends towards a smidge of jealousy, has absolutely no problem with me spending time with either of them. He knows, I know, and my friends know that there has never and will never be anything sexual between us. With both of these guys, we've been single at the same time, been drunk together, called each other up at two in the morning, and traveled to foreign countries together--if there were something between us, I think that shitt would have blown up by now. So basically, emee, I disagree that a conversation needs to take place in a male-female friendship in which you explicitly state that nothing will ever happen between you two. One thing I do agree with, no matter how much I'm just friends with my guy friends, is respecting your SO's boundaries. There's no doubt that jealousy is much more common when there are opposite sex friendships involved. I would never date someone who wouldn't let me spend time with my male friends, but I would take his comfort into consideration. For example, a couple of months ago, a male friend (not a very close one, mostly he's a CW but we also hang out outside of work) asked me to accompany him to the gym, and when I mentioned it to FI, he said he was mildly uncomfortable with the idea, but he wouldn't fight me about it. It wasn't going to make or break my life if I went with this guy, so I declined.
    Posted by Ali092011[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>10 months ago I would have agreed with you 100%. I had a male friend who had been my <em>best friend</em> FOR YEARS! He is hands down the kindest person I've ever known. I was the first person to say guys and girls can absolutely be friends without any issues, 100%, all the way. Got drunk one night, guess what?! He liked me the whole time. Drunk confessions are just so much fun! It was <em style="font-weight:bold;">very </em>disappointing and shocking for me. </div><div>
    </div><div>I am absolutely <em>in no way </em>saying that is what happens in every situation, but if my friend of 10+ years could fool me for that long, I'm just putting it out there that, well, ish happens! </div><div>
    </div><div>And more importantly, I was explaining to the OP that that was what those stupid women were talking about. Situations like ^^  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:565964f3-eb90-48da-8726-07f43b50abd2">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Emeejeeayen, I can't take your post seriously. . .Try again, or better yet, don't.
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

<div>If you can't accept it as an option that people might lie, I can't take you seriously. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:cb4c5ea4-36c3-49ed-9358-82bb88f57cd9">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : If you can't accept it as an option that people might lie, I can't take you seriously. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Good for you.

I was referencing the 'Manhattanites' comment. The other comments weren't showing when I posted.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:d6b1751c-7608-474a-8810-358e312c21f1">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : 10 months ago I would have agreed with you 100%. I had a male friend who had been my best friend FOR YEARS! He is hands down the kindest person I've ever known. I was the first person to say guys and girls can absolutely be friends without any issues, 100%, all the way. Got drunk one night, guess what?! He liked me the whole time. Drunk confessions are just so much fun! It was very disappointing and shocking for me.  I am absolutely in no way saying that is what happens in every situation, but if my friend of 10+ years could fool me for that long, I'm just putting it out there that, well, ish happens!  And more importantly, I was explaining to the OP that that was what those stupid women were talking about. Situations like ^^  

But even if EVERY situation were like that, it doesn't mean it's reciprocal, so whatever "those women" were talking about isn't proof that jealousy is a valid emotion when your SO is spending time with a member of the opposite sex. IF one of my guy friends confessed to liking me for the past <em>eleven years</em> of our friendship, well, it would suck, not because FI would lose me but because I'd lose my friend. So it all goes back to trust. If I can't hang out with my guy friends because that guy friend might have liked me and not said anything for a freakin' decade, even when we were single at the same time and wasted and playing Truth or Dare, then I have a messed up relationship.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:3a581a61-75d2-445f-a4ea-e45afdcd5ed0">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : Good for you. I was referencing the 'Manhattanites' comment. The other comments weren't showing when I posted.
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

<div>Then I apologize.</div><div>
    </div><div>But I don't get the offense with the Manhattan comment? Truly, I don't. It's a common joke. I used to say it about myself all the time when I lived in Manhattan. You just forget when everything just ~happens~ that there's a dude that has to do this, and a chick that has to do that. When you have your own home to take care of it's just... different. My mom in CA has to know a bit about plumbing, she has to water the garden. You're not just hiring people or having them provided by the building. Why is that offensive to joke about? </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:bf306c3c-ba4c-4fcd-aae5-d9e1d588ed87">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : But even if EVERY situation were like that, it doesn't mean it's reciprocal, so whatever "those women" were talking about isn't proof that jealousy is a valid emotion when your SO is spending time with a member of the opposite sex. IF one of my guy friends confessed to liking me for the past eleven years of our friendship, well, it would suck, not because FI would lose me but because I'd lose my friend. So it all goes back to trust. If I can't hang out with my guy friends because that guy friend might have liked me and not said anything for a freakin' decade, even when we were single at the same time and wasted and playing Truth or Dare, then I have a messed up relationship.
    Posted by Ali092011[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think we disagree?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:c7a3737b-3f18-49f5-a8e7-e2d41d0228e1">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : I don't think we disagree?

Either we disagree, you're arguing the other side for fun, or I'm completely misunderstanding everything you've said thus far. It's been a long day and I'm about to go to bed, so I'm perfectly willing to accept any or all of those explanations. :)
  • Options
    emeejeeayenemeejeeayen member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:c9383c18-90d6-4778-bc0e-e830af9822eb">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : Either we disagree, you're arguing the other side for fun, or I'm completely misunderstanding everything you've said thus far. It's been a long day and I'm about to go to bed, so I'm perfectly willing to accept any or all of those explanations. :)
    Posted by Ali092011[/QUOTE]

<div>1) I believe some people think that guys can't be "just friends" with girls. I think there's a lot of evidence for it, but I also know there are exceptions to every rule. I like to think I'm not like "most girls" and that my friends are special snowflakes who are not like "most people," but I was proven wrong, so I just think people should stay open minded lest they get blindsighted. 
    </div><div>
    </div><div>2) Regardless of what someone feels about the above, what matters most is how your SO feels about it. I think it would be sh.itty to not trust your SO to use their best judgment. I choose to not get drunk with guys without my SO. I would be upset if he insisted that I don't, though.</div><div>
    </div><div>I believe we're on the same page? Clue me in if I'm wrong.</div>
  • Options
    Spunky414Spunky414 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I just had a male friend of 7ish years declare his love for me (when I asked him to be my man of honor no less) but I'm not letting one guy's issues and disrespect for boundaries color the relationships I have with all of my other male friends. And quite frankly if you are going to think and treat people that way, you should worry about your female friends too, since they could be lying about being straight. 

And this Manhattanite knows how to fix her own plumbing, having a guy is either a product of financial priviledge and a willingness to wait for the guy to show up. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Crap, sorry this got long. Bored on west coast time.

Spunky, did you grow up in Manhattan? (Genuine question; tried to figure out how to phrase it without it sounding like an attack of some kind, failed. Stupid interwebs. I'm just genuinely curious.) 

FI grew up in Tribeca. He went to genius school. He genuinely doesn't know how to do laundry. That was the joke. He once (in the last 2 years) sent his laundry out for wash and fold and forgot to leave behind a pair of underpants to wear for the next 3 days while they washed his clothes. He's brilliant but completely inept at household chores because he never had to learn them. Yeah, I think my assessment was accurate, but I don't think inaccurate jokes are funny. Sorry if it came off wrong. 

FWIW, people joke about my hometown being one of the most hippy dippy locations in the country. There's a dude that stands around in a towel all day without shoes. We don't even require shoes in stores, and the whole town smells like weed. In fact, I think we were the first town in CA to legalize the delivery of medical marijuanna. I'm not a hippy (so clearly the whole town isn't), but I still think it's funny when people joke about it. 

Stage, (and I apologize that you're not able to hear my tone of voice either; I don't know how to stop you from interpretting what I'm saying as superior without hearing my inflection; honestly you come off the same way to me, and I'm sure you don't mean to) my main argument was not that it happened to me. My main argument was that phrases like "friend zone" exist because it's clearly a popular mindset. I've had guy friends, I continue to have guy friends, but thinking that it could never get inappropriate is closed minded. And that I denied it as a possibility for years was stupid. Anything is a possibility. You're not above anything, neither am I. We're all imperfect people. Do what is best for you and whichever relationship you value most

Andbutalso I really don't think of myself as superior, if that's really what you believe. I try to argue my point in the hopes that you'll do the same, and we can both learn something. I can only go off the information I have until I have yours, right? No point in having an opinion if you don't understant the opposing side. I really think more people would agree with each other if they'd just take the time to learn the other side's facts. It sounds lame and sappy, but ~I think sharing information is one of the best things we can do in this life. I really apologize if I come off as high and mighty; I truly don't mean to. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:5f8865be-6b56-4ef0-8202-100a78e8174d">Re: Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friends of the opposite gender.. : 1) I believe some people think that guys can't be "just friends" with girls. I think there's a lot of evidence for it, but I also know there are exceptions to every rule. I like to think I'm not like "most girls" and that my friends are special snowflakes who are not like "most people," but I was proven wrong, so<strong> I just think people should stay open minded lest they get blindsighted.</strong>  2) Regardless of what someone feels about the above, what matters most is how your SO feels about it. I think it would be sh.itty to not trust your SO to use their best judgment. I choose to not get drunk with guys without my SO. I would be upset if he insisted that I don't, though. I believe we're on the same page? Clue me in if I'm wrong.

Okay, so I guess that's where we disagree. I don't <em>need </em>to keep an open mind about the possibility of my male friends secretly wanting me, nor do I want to. I'm not going to be careful around them or look for the subtext of "I want you" in everything they say. You're acting like most of the time male and female friendships turn into the guy wanting more, and <em>that</em> is where I take issue. Besides, I've seen it happen the other way around, where the woman has been secretly pining over a guy friend for years, too. It's also not unheard of, but neither is platonic friendship, KWIM?

Also, like Spunky said, if I was going to take it with a grain of salt that my guy friends only like me as a friend, I'd also have to open myself up to the possibility of all of my friends secretly wanting me, male and female, and it's just silly.
  • Options
    Spunky414Spunky414 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Emee, I've spent my entire adult life in the city but grew up in suburbia. FI spent most of his life in the city. Most of our friends are life long NYCers. Everyone middle class and under learned how to do for themselves before college. Everyone middle class to upper middle learned in college, either at school or summer internships. Only our super rich  (upper 1%) friends are completely clueless. Most people (or their parents) can't or don't pay for a maid. cook, laundry service, constant eating out, or rent to live in nice buildings with 24hour maintenance staff their entire lives. To give a concrete example, FI and I sent our laundry out once during a busy week and it was over $100, the same amount of clothing is under $20 at the laundromat. That's a big enough difference for most people to do it themselves and not have a guy.    
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-of-the-opposite-gender?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d1a683d0-4e41-4731-9010-cc9db30c67f2Post:fb9e03f1-97bf-43d2-9d22-fe9182a89d90">Re:Friends of the opposite gender..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Ali, you said what I have been trying to say much more clearly and eloquently. It's the lack of trust that is my issue. I look at it this way, I have had a friend steal from me. Is that always a possibility? Yeah. Do I take precautions with all of my friends now because of it? No. Likewise, if my 30 yr old friend for whatever reason decides after 10 years to throw away his marriage and his family tomorrow to profess his undying love for me, I'd be shocked and saddened and probably cut off our friendship. But I wouldn't treat every other male friend I have differently either. Emee, I want to ask something not to insult you but because I honestly think it may have bearing on the situation. How old are you?

<div>Stage, I think you make a really good point.  Last year, I had a really good guy friend get super drunk and hit on me, way past the line of what was appropriate.  However, I don't see this as a sign that I should be fearful that all of my guy friends are actually trying to get in my pants.  I'm not going to let one person's inappropriate behavoir taint the rest of my friendships.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, my FI and I have several mutual friends, most of whom are guys.  I've been friends with half of FI's GMs longer than I've known FI, and I actually met FI through them.  There are several times when FI has been working that I've gone out to dinner or to a movie one on one with said friends.  FI thinks absolutely nothing of it.  As long as you and your SO have no problem with you hanging out one on one with someone of the opposite sex, it is perfectly fine, and no one should be judging you for it.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards