Registry and Gift Forum

Cash Gifts

I would like to know more about "wishing wells" and how appropriate (or not) they are.  My fiance and I already have most smaller appliances and things needed at home, yet we still need major appliances (such as washer/dyer, fridge, etc).  We both agree that gifts are not required from our guests, yet realize some might give us things that we might not have a need for; and realized we rather receive cash gifts instead to contribute to aquiring the things we do need but that would be too expensive to list on a registry.
How can we go about conveying the message in a tasteful way that gifts are not required, yet if they would like to give us something, a small cash gift would be much more appreciated?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cash Gifts

• If you don't want to register, then have a family member, not you, spread it by word of mouth only if they are asked. Let them say something like " oh aliamaga and Fi are saving for some appliances/ home upgrades." People will figure it out, but I would make a small registry for some more traditional guests who will not want to give you cash gifts.

Also, please don't do a wishing well, they are horribly tacky.
    Photobucket
  • Whatever you do please please please do not put a poem in your invitations.
    Married 10/2/10
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

Outright asking for cash gifts from your guest is very impolite. There will always be people who will want to do box gift so do a small registry of upgrades. If someone should ask you, family or wedding party then say that you have a registry at ________ but are also saving for appliances. 

A lot of guests will probably give a cash gift so use that money to put towards those major purchases that way you are not having to actually ask your guest for money, which is really so inappropriate. Agree with pp, do not do some silly poem about cash gifts either. People see right through tacky stuff like that.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cash-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9d61a6b9-3217-4e3a-85fa-0fd6d8797716Post:6ef3e286-b7c0-4bc2-b7c7-3db982e16324">Cash Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to know more about "wishing wells" and how appropriate (or not) they are.  My fiance and I already have most smaller appliances and things needed at home, yet we still need major appliances (such as washer/dyer, fridge, etc).  We both agree that gifts are not required from our guests, yet realize some might give us things that we might not have a need for; and realized we rather receive cash gifts instead to contribute to aquiring the things we do need but that would be too expensive to list on a registry. How can we go about conveying the message in a tasteful way that gifts are not required, yet if they would like to give us something, a small cash gift would be much more appreciated? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted by aliamaga[/QUOTE]

A small registry or no registry at all will be a sufficient way to let guests know that you would prefer cash.  Just don't say it outright (though your family can spread the word if they are asked about it).
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Wishing wells for cash are inappropriate.  Your family and wedding party can spread by word of mouth when asked about gifts that you're saving for appliances.
  • I would not put anything like this on an invitation.  Like PP's have said have the family spread the word (only if asked) that you are saving up for some big appliances. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Register at Sears and put those large ticket items on the registry.  While someone might not say "Oh yes, we will buy them a washer!" they may contribute a $100 gift card towards the purchase of one.  Then you can always use your discount after for the product.  Can you not use any new towels, linens, anything small?  You can also register for that small stuff at Sears, and return it for store credit towards your big purchases.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cash-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9d61a6b9-3217-4e3a-85fa-0fd6d8797716Post:ed954ce9-d985-4ecd-9da0-bcfdbb83a9cd">Re: Cash Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Register at Sears and put those large ticket items on the registry.  While someone might not say "Oh yes, we will buy them a washer!" they may contribute a $100 gift card towards the purchase of one.  Then you can always use your discount after for the product.  Can you not use any new towels, linens, anything small?  <strong>You can also register for that small stuff at Sears, and return it for store credit towards your big purchases.</strong>
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

As a guest I would be very offended if I found out that somebody registered for gifts she had no intention of keeping just to return them for cash or different items.  It's very deceitful.
    Married 10/2/10
  • i'm not registering either because we don't need house stuff and am having a small wedding but i wouldn't do the wishing well thing cause that's pretty much asking people for cash. if people ask me where i'm registerd i'll just say i'm not. and they can choose to do what they like.
  • Thanks everyone for your feedback! It's been very instrumental in my decision to opt to create a small registry.

• Hi there,
    I have the same problem and my friends recommended this wedding registry website called Upon OUr Star (www.uponourstar.com) and basically your guests can pay for things you really need (like your honeymoon....or mortgage...etc...) but at the end of the day, you just cash out and get money!  So its a really nice way of asking for money....haha
    It worked well for my friends too!  I can't wait to cash out!!
    Happy wedding!amy
  • Do what's best for your situation and just add the registry site to your knot webpage and have your family spread the word. That's the easiest way to get the word out and not step on etiquette toes.

We felt the same as many people at first regarding cash vs. gift registries. After a lot of consideration, we decided to build our registry on www.myregistry.com.

You can add several different items to your registry, as well as cash gifts, trips, large ticket items you are saving for, etc. It's very versatile, and seemed to be one of the least expensive cash registry sites, with the least amount of processing fees.

I must have spent 5 days researching the different sites and all of the fees the various sites wanted to charge us and our guests, pretty amazing how much they want for holding and drawing interest on your money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards