Moms and Maids

Mom wearing black

Hi!
We are having our wedding this May 11th at the Villa at the Ridder club in East Bridgewater. Our ceremony is at 7pm and my guys will be in black tuxes and my girls will be in long grey dresses.
My mom found an awesome dress but it is black.
I love it and it's a beautiful dress- cowl neck in the front and the back has a lace detail to the middle of her waist and a little train.
I should also add she is walking me down the aisle so if it was my Dad walking me down he would be in black
My only worry is it will look morbid or funeral-y. Thoughts?

Re: Mom wearing black

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only color I think is taboo at weddings is white.  Black is perfectly acceptable.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For our May wedding the MOG wore black. No big deal.
    ~May 21,2011~
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, it's fine. No one will confuse an elegant evening gown with mourning clothes. If your mom loves the dress, she should wear it. Everyone will know she is happy about your marriage because of the beautiful smile on her face.

• BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I don't think of black as a mourning color, I think of it as a sexy/elegant color...hello LBD! :) To me, the only colors I think are taboo for wedding guests are those of the white/ivory family.
  • picnic2012picnic2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mom is wearing black, it's a sparkly jazzy number, its black pants and a black sparkaly blouse. Its not morbid cause it's all glittery. 
  • edited December 2011
    Black is NBD.  My MIL wore black and looked nice.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

As much as I detest any woman wearing black at a wedding, it's fine if she wants to wear a black dress.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MOB and MOG wore black at my wedding.  They both looked awesome.  It won't look funeral-y because everyone will look so happy.

My wedding colors were bright and summery, and nobody looked out of place.
  • RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    edited December 2011
    I never understood why black was supposed to be taboo for women, but standard for men's formal wedding wear anyway.  If you love it, and she loves it, go for it!  From the way you describe it, it won't look in the least bit funereal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom would black and she looked amazing.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I love black dresses, and the dress she picks sounds very elegant...black is no longer just for funerals.

• jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Both my mom and my FMIL are wearing black dresses.  Also, my BM's dresses are two-tone black & white.  I think black is a very classic, universal color that can be worn for any occassion in any season.

Anniversary
  • ElinetrouwtElinetrouwt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Black is so classy! But if you're still afraid about it being to solemn, you can always add accessoires in color, or even in white.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-wearing-black?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:f76aa512-60ac-4c65-88f7-396bd910fdf4Post:81fd26ac-6673-4e93-85b3-1349e736f047">Re: Mom wearing black</a>:
    [QUOTE]my mom is wearing black, it's a sparkly jazzy number, its black pants and a black sparkaly blouse. Its not morbid cause it's all glittery. 
    Posted by picnic2012[/QUOTE]

This sounds exactly like what my mom wore to my wedding. Even if it weren't glittery though, I feel like black is always appropriate.
  • AiobheannAiobheann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're the bride. If you're okay with it, that is all that matters.
    Anniversary
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll never understand how anyone could think a long black gown can look funereal. I've never seen anyone wear a gown to a funeral :-)

My mother and MIL wore black gowns at my first wedding, at my request. (In my crowd, the mothers match or complement the bridesmaids and my BMs were in black).
  • slpankuchslpankuch member
    edited December 2011
    My mom is wearing black too. She is dressing it up with colored accessories like with her boutonniere and jewelry. Black is considered formal. It will look classy in my opinion.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Lauren19.Lauren19. member
    edited December 2011
    My mom wore black to my sister's April wedding and looked GREAT! I wouldn't be surprised if some of your guests wear black too. The most important thing is that you and your mom are comfortable.
  • chickenbut143chickenbut143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-wearing-black?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:f76aa512-60ac-4c65-88f7-396bd910fdf4Post:22afdcf2-90f4-44ee-89ce-82dbe81e0f53">Re: Mom wearing black</a>:
    [QUOTE]To be honest, I don't think of black as a mourning color, <strong>I think of it as a sexy/elegant color...hello LBD! :) To me, the only colors I think are taboo for wedding guests are those of the white/ivory family.
    </strong>Posted by BinxRose[/QUOTE]

All of this.  :)  It sounds like a fantastic dress!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jalafajalafa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mother is wearing a black dress and so are all my bridemaids.  My colors are black and red so I'm fine with it either way!  Asl long as no one wears white it will be alright;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The mothers can wear whatever they like.  I think black is a fine choice.
  • Bett2012Bett2012 member
    edited December 2011
    If you're worried about her looking morbid (which, if it's just the colour, don't worry, black is sophisticated too!), she could get awesome accessories, like killer heels, or an awesome clutch or jewellery.. something that screams "I am not at a funeral, I'm here to party" :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards