New York-Western

Anyone having late fall/winter wedding?

Hello!

Is anyone else having a late fall or winter wedding? The venue I want does not have a date available until end of nov 2012. I would like to keep my wedding in 2012 so that I dont have to wait until end of summer/early fall of 2013 (which would be MY ideal time to get married)

I have colors picked out in my mind that I think would go beautifully for this fall/winter season but am worried about weather issues that could arise on my special day. To make it worse the venue will be in the hamburg. I have never lived in the southtowns but from what I know of people who do, the weather tends to be more intense when it comes to snow versus other places in and near buffalo.

Anyone else with similar dates have any pros/cons of having a wedding this time of year?

Re: Anyone having late fall/winter wedding?

• edited December 2011
    Hello!  My wedding date is Nov 10, 2012.  We really wanted a fall wedding and this was the only date the botanical gardens had open, so we went with it.  I thought about weather concerns, particularly because I will have a lot of family coming from out of town, but the thing is - other times of the year can have bad weather too.  I had a trip over this past summer that had to be rescheduled due to Hurricane Irene.  So you never know, and there's no time of year that's 100% guaranteed to have nice weather.  So if fall or winter appeals to you - I say go for it!
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree! You can't predict the weather in Buffalo. Just have two plans, one if it is good weather and one if it is bad weather and you should be fine. My parents got married in the blizzard of 82 and everyone talks about the weather and how much fun they had and if they had to get snowed in somewhere why not somewhere with great family, friends, music and booze!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • AmandaB29AmandaB29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married Saturday. I've gotten a pretty positive response from everyone. It poured on my friend's wedding day, like poor visibility type rain, and she got married in May. So, you never know!  I love the winter and the snow, so it was easy for me to decide.
  • AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is Feb 2012. Same as AmandaB said... even in summer you can't predict storms. Pick what you want, go with it! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding is Jan 7..a month from today! I hope it snows =) I had friends get married in March and it was basically a blizzard but they had GORGEOUS photos outside.  The photgrapher took them outside for a few shots while it was snowing and that is the reason I wanted a winter wedding. My reception is at a hotel so people have that option and most are doing so.
  • queensallqueensall member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm having a January 2013 wedding in Buffalo. The only other thing I have to add is that you might want to seriously concider wedding insurance in case the weather is so bad that vendors can't get to the site or, if it's really bad, there is a driving ban and you have to reschedule the whole thing. EEK! Not to be a debbie downer, but at least with insurance I won't be freaking out about the weather. I was surprised how reasonable it can be. Well worth it for piece of mind!

• Mine was October 29 of this year.  It was the weekend that there was a freak snowstorm up and down the east coast, but Rochester was spared!  All of our guests were from out of town and managed to miss the snow some how as most were coming from the East.

Ironically if I had gotten married in my hometown outside of Philly we would have had 7" of snow!

But everyone came and everything was fine.  I mean, in November you're probably not going to get huge snow falls, but it'll be chilly (so I got to wear my pretty faux-fur wrap!)  The biggest thing to plan around is the fact that after that first weekend in November, the sun sets early which makes it hard to do Ceremony/Pictures/Reception and is actually the reason we picked late October instead of November.
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree, it's Buffalo and you can't predict the weather...it's mid-Dec now and we don't have any snow! My cousin got married July 25, 2009 and there were monsoons throughout the day and tornados!

I would suggest just have a backup plan for weather related concerns, like indoor picture locations, hotel blocks in case people need to stay overnight due to weather, etc...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards