Wedding Etiquette Forum

how to tell guests the wedding is outside

Weather permitting, we plan to hold our wedding outside. it will be October, so this will all be weather permitting. We also plan to rent multiple space heaters.  Its going to be a pretty laid back wedding, with a bonfire during the reception, and while I plan to do lots of word of mouth, Id love a way state it (on the invitations, direction cards, RSVP card, seperate insert) that it will be outside, business casual attire is totally acceptable, and to dress warm.

Re: how to tell guests the wedding is outside

• Depending on space in your invitation stuff, I'd put it on the direction and information card.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Does the venue give it away? If not perhaps something like:

Together with our families we,
    Jane Doe
    and
    John Smith
    ask you to join us as we unite in marriage
    in front of the beautiful sunset on
    Saturday, October 20 2010...

I don't know. I was just trying to think of something.

• I mentioned it on the direction card.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Ditto jessandtrav.  Maybe something like "on the grounds of XYZ park" or "in the yard of [host]" or whatever the case may be? 
  • Yeah, I put this stuff on the directions/logistics card, under a heading that said "etc." It mentioned the dress code (for the military guests) and that the wedding would be indoors with AC but to dress for comfort since DC was brutally hot in august.

I think mentioning that the reception would be on a lawn or outdoors or whatever is really useful. I remember going to a wedding (it was my ex-H's cousin) where I didn't know anyone else going so I coudln't ask a lot of questions in advance and I showed up in a really dark colored dress for a sunny garden-party style affair. Not only did I feel weird but I was all sweaty through the whole reception Undecided
  • I put it on our website and spread it by word of mouth.
  • I just added "in the garden" after the venue address. Can you word it something like that so people will know?
  • I would love to know if the wedding/reception was going to be on grass. I would wear wedges or flats instead of heels, and bring rainboots if it rained!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-guests-wedding-outside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d3fd2e00-9eae-4c51-89bd-05207e52c0fbPost:a4c01bee-d498-4dcc-a0e1-ebf80e925748">how to tell guests the wedding is outside</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weather permitting, we plan to hold our wedding outside. it will be October, so this will all be weather permitting. We also plan to rent multiple space heaters.  Its going to be a pretty laid back wedding, with a bonfire during the reception, and while I plan to do lots of word of mouth, Id love a way state it (on the invitations, direction cards, RSVP card, seperate insert) that it will be outside, <strong>business casual attire is totally acceptable</strong>, and to dress warm.
    Posted by kzsnyder[/QUOTE]
    You cannot tell your guests what to wear.  The formality of your venue and your invite should dictate that. 

We had an outdoor ceremony, so on our invite it said something to effect of "Outdoor ceremony to be held at 123 A Street..."
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Put it somewhere! I went to an outside wedding June and was so hot and sweaty by the time the reception started. 

If it gets chilly you could also think about putting hand warmer packets on everyones chair or in a basket as they walk in.
  • Heh...our ceremony and cocktail hour were outside (on pavement) and I didn't tell anyone.

Whoops.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We're putting it on the website although since we're getting married at a winery its pretty self explanatory.  On the website we have a page for FAQs with some pointers about also bringing a sweater or suit jacket for the evening just in case it gets cool and I also made a special note to tell the ladies to veer away for stilettos since everything is on the grass.  I'd be really annoyed if I didn't know to plan for grass so I'm making sure to tell everyone.
  • This isn't really a suggestion, but my cousin's wedding was in October, same type of thing, they had it outside and they rented heaters and had a couple fire pits.  Also, they had pashminas as favors for the girls in their wedding colors.  They were rolled up and were sitting on the tables, you could grab one in the color you wanted.   It was in Oglebay Park, WV so and being that it was an October wedding everything was sort of implied on the invitation.  It turned out awesome!  It did get a little chilly at night but between dancing and drinking no one complained.  Good luck with your wedding! 
  • the idea that October would be cold is so foreign to me. :) I'm usually still wearing shorts and tank tops (or light dresses) in October, it stays hot FOREVER in Texas.

I am putting it on my website, and I'm inserting a card asking guests to refer to our website for maps, directions, accommodations, etc. all of the older folks who don't use computers are family.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Our wedding invite states "Please join us as we Meghan & Austin are united in marriage at an outdoor ceremony on Friday July..."   I found this to be the perfect place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards