Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Unique Father/Daughter Song

I really want a unique song to dance to with my father at my wedding.  I'm a daddy's girl and this dance is very important to me.  It seems like all the songs I'm finding are geared toward a father's love for his daughter.  Are there any songs out there that I can use to express to my dad that he will always be the first man I loved?  No country songs please, and nothing too modern.  He is 66 years old and I want it to be a song he is somewhat familiar with.
21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Unique Father/Daughter Song

• annac26annac26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stay Young, Go Dancing- Death Cab for Cutie
  • edited December 2011
    Awe you said no country lol the song i just picked for my dad is country but it is perfect. Its called daddys little angel by t carter. Made me burst into tears when i heard it. 

Why not google best father and daughter songs and see what comes up
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried Google already - it just gives me the same lists over and over - all the same sappy songs that everyone uses.  I'm drawing a blank because I kind of want to use an older song (pre-1980 or even pre-1970) so it's something my dad knows.  Problem is, I don't know too many songs from back then.  I had no idea this would be so difficult!
  • gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • lls31lls31 member
    edited December 2011
    I might end up asking him, but I was kind of hoping to surprise him.  I think he expects me to pick something more modern and something that is more my taste (alternative).  I wanted to surprise him by choosing something that would be more his taste.  Like The Commodores or something like that.  I suppose I could ask my mom for help.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :o)
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

What is his taste in music?
    Beatles
    Sinatra
    Elvis

All of these have sweet songs that could work for a father daughter dance.

• lls31lls31 member
    edited December 2011
    I was asking him about music a few weeks ago to get an idea of what to pick.

His favorite song is Lady in Red by Chris deBurgh (obviously that song is NOT going to work - haha).

Some of his favorite music includes:
    The Commodores and/or Lionel Richie
    Neil Diamond
    Elton John
    Simon and Garfunkle
    Genesis and/or Phil Collins

He does like some Sinatra and Elvis.

He also likes country music, but I'm not going to cave and use a country song.  I just can't do it.  I hate it too much.
  • edited December 2011
    I strongly suggest going on iTunes and searching "What I want you to Know" by JKD.

Amazing song for a Father/Daughter dance, and its NOT country!!

It will be perfect for expressing how close you guys are.

• joshkatybelljoshkatybell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My girl - Temptations

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • lls31lls31 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_unique-fatherdaughter-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:f84cb4d9-8c68-41ed-b18b-cd0acb5d29f5Post:bb4a06cb-8d11-4d86-81d9-e53306a6ceea">Re: Unique Father/Daughter Song</a>:
    [QUOTE]My girl - Temptations
    Posted by joshkatybell[/QUOTE]

<div>I love this, but my sister is getting married 3 months before me and she's using it for her dance with our dad! Haha, I can't win!</div>
  • joshkatybelljoshkatybell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Daughters - John Meyer         Not corny, but fitting, but its not an older song, what is the song on fahter of the bride?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • geekgirljessgeekgirljess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since you seem like you are looking for a song from the daughter's perspective, how about "Unforgettable", sung by Natalie Cole with her father Nat King Cole?

Some other choices:
    Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion
    Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler

I'll edit if I think of any more!

• edited December 2011
    "I Loved Her First" "Butterfly Kisses"
  • lindsayk362lindsayk362 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat.  It's tough to find a song that's not about romantic love and I despise country songs.  I want to stay far far away from anything super sappy (sorry Butterfly Kisses).  The two I'm considering are:

Dancing in the Moonlight or How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

Both are older songs and have been done by various artists so there are a lot of versions to choose from and an older dad would definitely be familiar with these songs.

Based on your dad's picks, Phil Collins: You'll Be In My Heart or Elton John: Can You Feel the Love Tonight.  Both are from Disney movies which the bride probably grew up with.
  • edited December 2011
    oooo I have a good one! It's called "Take Good Care (of my Baby)" - Bobby Vee. In this case it would be from a father's point of view, but it does have a line that says, "Once upon a time that little girl was mine." It also says "If you should discover, that you don't really love her, just send my baby right back home to me." Which is a nice way of expressing that your dad will always be there for you :) actually, my mom and I are dancing to this! 
    July 2013 Knotties June Siggy Challenge - Location, Location, Location!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Green Lantern Inn, in Beautiful Fairport, NY!
  • lindsayk362lindsayk362 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is the link to How Sweet it Is (with lyrics).  The more I think about it, it's pretty perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQdRz-HlJw

Bobby Vee is another good oldie too!
  • lindsey2003lindsey2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Loudon Wainwright III - Daughter

A very good friend of mine got married a few weeks ago and she and her father danced to this. I love it. It's cute and kind of Bob Dylan-ish. Give it a listen.
  • cuevas91cuevas91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0onpZWqCn0

This song is from the Wild Thornberry movie. The song is sooo sweet.
  • cuevas91cuevas91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The above is Paul Simon "Father and Daughter"
  • edited December 2011

Kara's Flowers - To her, with love
    The Beatles - Dear Prudence, I Will, In my life, The long and winding road
    Elton John - Blessed

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards